Interval Timer

Options
tomomatic
tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
I pretty much workout at home but I have a tendency to drift onto other tasks between sets. It's not really a Attention deficit issue. Sometimes it's because I have to stop everything to stop my kids from fighting. Other times it's because I'm using my time between sets to watch TV and fold laundry at the same time.

So I looked up "workout timer" to keep me on pace. More or less, I was looking for a countdown timer that goes off after 90 seconds to tell me that it's time for the next set.

I found something called an "Interval Timer" for my iPod touch. I installed it and I realized that I have no idea how to use this.

How do you use a Interval Timer properly for your workout? Any thoughts?

Replies

• Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I googled "how to use an interval timer" and found lots of info how to and even on u-tube but it was quite a bit to post on here. Sorry
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Thanks! I'll go google/youtube it.

Maybe it's the iPod Touch app that I hate. It seems very counter intuitive.
  • fireguy286
    fireguy286 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Forget interval timer, its not good. Download gymboss, problem solved. It has some preset intervals,and you can create your own, and its free. I use it all the time.
  • Julcandoit
    Julcandoit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a Gymboss timer. Check out their website for more info on how you can utilize one in your workout
    http://www.gymboss.com/
    Another option could be a timex ironman watch that has the interval time function option.
    Hope this info helps :)
  • CoachJake83
    CoachJake83 Posts: 108
    Options
    You should consider an in home fitness routine as an alternative. They'll pace you automatically and show you all the moves. Worked great for me! =D
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have Seconds Free and it sounds like interval timer. I totally don't get it, so I just use the stopwatch function on my iPhone.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Forget interval timer, its not good. Download gymboss, problem solved. It has some preset intervals,and you can create your own, and its free. I use it all the time.

I second, or is it 3rd, the Gymboss timer!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Gymboss is pretty quality....they also sell specific devices along with having an app. Both their standard GymBoss and the GymBossMax (more [and more advanced] programming options)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I pretty much workout at home but I have a tendency to drift onto other tasks between sets. It's not really a Attention deficit issue. Sometimes it's because I have to stop everything to stop my kids from fighting. Other times it's because I'm using my time between sets to watch TV and fold laundry at the same time.

So I looked up "workout timer" to keep me on pace. More or less, I was looking for a countdown timer that goes off after 90 seconds to tell me that it's time for the next set.

I found something called an "Interval Timer" for my iPod touch. I installed it and I realized that I have no idea how to use this.

How do you use a Interval Timer properly for your workout? Any thoughts?

I, too, have the Gymboss timer, the physical version, not the app. I really like it. When I can do intervals (I'm recovering from an injury), I use it for HIIT. I also use it for The Pomodoro Technique and for meditation.

I do interval training when using the treadmill and while wearing a heart rate monitor. I warm up for four to five minutes and then do some kind of split: 30 to 90 seconds of high intensity followed by at least 60 to 90 seconds of rest, or I may wait for my heart rate to come down. It depends on how I feel. I do it for 15 to 20 minutes and then follow it with 15 to 30 minutes of steady state work on the treadmill or elliptical trainer.

I will probably buy the advanced Gymboss at some time because it permits more fixed interval sequences than the basic model.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have the "Interval Timer" for my iphone and it's actually pretty easy to set up. On the front page there's an i in the corner so touch that and it brings up the screen to change all the settings.

Then you just touch each piece of information to set it for your workout. I use it for bodyrock so mine look like this:
    Number of sets: 15
    Countdown time: 00:10
    Set Time: 1:00
    Low Interval: 00:10
    High Interval: 00:50
    (that means you get a 10 sec countdown before it starts, and 50 seconds of a workout (screen will be green), and then a bell, then 10 secs of rest (screen will be yellow) and then another bell to start the next set).

Hope this helps.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded an interval timer for my iPod called "Seconds" it look pretty neat and they have a free version and a pay for version, very easy to use and set up. I always use my interval time on the elliptical for some HIIT work outs. ....and so I can focus on my Netflix :)
  • magoch
    magoch Posts: 134
    Options
    I use a digital kitchen timer -- old school, but effective :)