5X5 with only dumbbells?

Options
kmillers
kmillers Posts: 144 Member
I have been doing Chalene extreme but would like to do 5X5s. Can someone please tell me if I can do them without a bar bell and weights? I have up to 20 lb dumbbells. Is this enough or do I need more weight?
Also what is the best 5X5 workout?

Replies

• Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about the StrongLifts 5x5, then no you shouldn't use dumbbells. You can look on www.Stronglifts.com to get a complete overview of the 5x5 plan.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    If you are talking about the StrongLifts 5x5, then no you shouldn't use dumbbells. You can look on www.Stronglifts.com to get a complete overview of the 5x5 plan.

This^^^^ it really shouldn't be done with dumbbells
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Chalene extreme but would like to do 5X5s. Can someone please tell me if I can do them without a bar bell and weights? I have up to 20 lb dumbbells. Is this enough or do I need more weight?
    Also what is the best 5X5 workout?

usually dumbbell exercise would range 6+ reps, so you may want to look into a different program, or pick up a barbell and weights.

To answer is it heavy enough? that depends, if you are aiming for 5x5, but you have the ability to lift your 20lbs for 12 reps then it is too light. Your last rep or 2 in each set should be difficult to do with good form. If you can do more than the 5 reps with that weight then it is much to light for that routine, not to mention those routines have you increase the weight each week, so even if you are at 20 now, you would have to increase that in a week or 2 anyway.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    you need to progress every workout. You'll grow out of your dumbbells by the second week.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    No, very shortly, you'd run out of adequate weight. I have been doing this a month and am currently squatting #80 and deadlifting #130.
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options

^Highly recommend the StrongLifts 5x5, but you have to use a Barbell.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Is there a similar / almost as good home dumbell programme?
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will have to invest in a new weight set. I am new to weight lifting and appreciate all the help.
  • Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will have to invest in a new weight set. I am new to weight lifting and appreciate all the help.

Also, since you are a beginner, take some time to get down the proper form before you start increasing your load.