I'm a beginner at weight machines, several questions

Options
I am a 5'3" female, 138 pounds, late 40's. I started exercising three few weeks ago. At the gym 4 or 5 times a week I am doing one hour on the treadmill at 3.0 mph and increasing the incline a little bit each week. I burn about 230 calories each time. Then I use free weights and weigh machines.

After the treadmill I use the machines which are brand "Techno Gym". I use the vertical traction machine ( four sets of 8 reps each with 50 pound setting) and then I use the "upper back" machine and do three sets of 8 reps at 30 pounds. Then i do some work with resistance bands. Then I get the 5 lb hand weights and lean forward and do a movement kind of like a bird flapping its wings up and down.

Other than the obvious one, the treadmill, I have no clue what the names of any of these exercises ARE so I haven't been able to figure out how to enter them here in the exercise section. I went to Techno Gym's website and didn't find any real names for these exercises.

Questions:
1. Any idea what these exercises on these two machines are commonly called so I can log them in here as part of my exercise tracking?

2. Should I be doing weights every OTHER day, instead of EVERY day to allow the muscles to recover?

The reason I am focused on upper body machines is that I have an office job where I sit in front of a computer all day and tend to carry my tension in my upper back.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• sandraDallas
    Options
    bump
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You would get more benefit from getting off the machines and getting into some free weights. These will work more parts of your body all at once and improve little things. Also, don't neglect your core and your legs. part of the goal of exercise is to improve your body's function.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would get off machines as well and do more compound lifts (deadlifts, squats, etc)

can you explain what you actually do on the machines better?
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to answer 1, but here is an answer for 2.

If you are doing a full body workout, that is to say you are exercising your entire body chest, back, legs etc. Then you should do that every other day. Muscle growth actually happens during the rest period. Now if you are doing a split routine, that is chest and back one day and legs and arms another, then you can do this routine every day. Mon,Wed, Fri chest and back, Sun, Tues, Thur, legs and arms. Nothing on Sat. In the split routine you are allowing different muscle groups to rest while exercising others.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Machines are great for beginners to lean form and learn to focus on the muscles that you are working.
    I think the "vertical traction machine"
    http://www.technogym.com/us/products/muscle-workout/core-exercise-equipment/selection/vertical-traction/451
    Would be the same as a "Lat Pull Down"
    And the "Upper back machine" is a "Mid Row".

If you are sore then you should give your body at least a day or rest in between weight lifting sessions, but you can still to cardio.
  • bciochetti
    bciochetti Posts: 35
    Options
    If your gym offers it, take a beginners class on using free weights or barbells. The last thing you want to do is hurt yourself because your form is bad.
  • philco41
    philco41 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There should be someone at the gym who can answer questions, and I would think they would have given you a basic orientation when you began. You might also want to consider a couple sessions with a trainer.
  • Inshapeforanything
    Options
    There is a great book by Rachel Cosgrove called the Female Break Through. She provides a lot of information on starting weight lifting programs. Her program uses mostly free weights that work the whole body.
  • sandraDallas
    Options
    THANKS TO ALL OF YOU for taking the time to answer some of my questions and make suggestion! The community on this website is great for someone like me who is new to working out and has very basic questions.

One of you suggested I have a few sessions with a trainer. I would like to use one but the gym I joined is expensive (Equinox) and the cheapest trainers are $90/hour so I'm going to get the book by Rachel Cosgrove and do some internet research instead, then after I've built up some decent cardio strength from the treadmill and flexibility from the machines and free weights consider spending the money. There are some trainers that stop and chat with me now and then and sometimes give me suggestions. I'm getting to know them from chatting when they don't have clients so I think if my form is bad then one of them will be nice enough to tell me.

I have recommended this website to 25 or 30 people over the last several weeks. Logging all my food and exercise has really made me committed to eating healthy and getting enough exercise.