women lifters

Options
Jessicaruby
Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
that have seen noticeable changes in body comp. how long did it take you to get there?

Replies

• cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    I started seeing basic changes after 8 weeks and more profound differences after ~12 weeks.
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    anyone else?
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I think I started noticing around 2-3 months. :)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    that have seen noticeable changes in body comp. how long did it take you to get there?

Unless you are already pretty lean, alot of it is going to depend on your diet. ie.. if you are carrying more BF, you could be gaining muscle mass but you wouldn't really be able to see it until you start losing some BF. Which is exactly what lifting is going to help you with
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    i have been lifting for 6 months now and while i have seen some change and i have been increasing my weights i am no where near where i want to be and i dont know what else to do
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I would say it took about 3 months of hardcore lifting to get me down to 23ish% body fat to where I can start seeing some muscle, but for me it's a long road, I can FEEL way more muscles, but I can't really see them yet. So I would say it really depends on what your starting body fat is!
  • chunkyme
    chunkyme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    *BUMP*
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    i have been lifting for 6 months now and while i have seen some change and i have been increasing my weights i am no where near where i want to be and i dont know what else to do

This is by no means my area of expertise but I have a couple questions that might help more knowledgeable folks help you out:

1) What are your goals? Bodyfat % reduction, or lbs lost or strength building, etc?
    2) What kind of training are you doing? Are you following a program or have a trainer?
    3) Where are you at fitness wise now- do you have a long way to go?
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I still can't really SEE changes.... at least not big ones. Sometimes I imagine I look slimmer. BUT I started FEELING different after just one month.... and now I feel awesome. I love my legs, even if they're covered in fat. I love my biceps. They're in there! I can feel them. I feel more confident, more energetic, just all-around better. And the best part? Okay... maybe not the BEST part... but a pretty cool part? I don't have to get the male post-doc in our lab to lift our full 5 gallon water container from the sink to the bench. The other ladies in the lab won't even try.
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    1) What are your goals? Bodyfat % reduction, or lbs lost or strength building, etc?
    2) What kind of training are you doing? Are you following a program or have a trainer?
    3) Where are you at fitness wise now- do you have a long way to go?
    [/quote]

i am looking to become toned and muscular while lowering my bf% i lift heavy 3x a week and do cardio 3-4x a week. i try to eat as clean as possible (my diary is open) i did a 4 month bulk where i gained 15lbs and i am having a hard time getting it back off during my cut. i know i have more muscles i can see some and feel others but i am nowhere near where i think i should be. i am 5'7 and weigh about 145lbs
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If you gained 15lbs, you won't want to lose 15lbs. Maybe 1/2 that if you are pretty lean to start. You seem pretty thin to begin with.

Losing just the BF and not the muscle is hard work but keep it up
  • steviegreeks
    steviegreeks Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have been consistent for the last 5 months. My calves and guns are probably the most noticeable and I almost have abs :) I do cardio 3-4 times a week as well as lifting 3-4 times a week and just keep under my calorie count (most of the time ;)) Crank that protein!!!
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    i dont really care what the number on the scale says any more. i just maily use it as a refrence to make sure my calories are on track with my goals....However i just am not seeing good definition in my muscles. and that sucks!! :mad:
  • samthomason
    samthomason Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm in the same boat as you, so I'll be interested to see what others have to say.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Check out "New rules of lifting for women" if you haven't already. Seems alot of women on her have read it and have gotten great results. I might read it come this fall after I've lost the weight I want. 5 years ago I lost 25 lbs and gained alot of muscle mass. It took about 12 weeks for people to start noticing my muscles and commenting on them.

exercise.png
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It does come down to body fat %. You have to be quite lean to see good definition and look "toned." Where you carry the bulk of your body fat will also influence where you see definition. My arms and legs are quite lean so you can see the definition in them, but I am a banana shape (fairly straight up and down), so the body fat I carry around my middle is still hiding the muscles there. I've been lifting moderate weigths since October (doing body resistance prior to that), and as I've been losing weight since then as well, I've obviously seen constant changes.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    IN my back about a month

my arms the same

My legs about 6 weeks

tho my abs aren't there yet I can slightly see the obliques line ive been lifting for about 3 months
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I started lifitng again six months ago and I'm only now just seeing major changes in body composition but that's likely because I was carrying around 25+ % BF and I'm now around 22%.

I started with the NROLFW and did that for about 5 months. I am 4 weeks into Lindsay Kaye's 12-Week Muscle Building Program from BodyBuilding.com and since starting that I've noticed significant changes in definition.

What's your BF%? Sorry, if you've posted that already.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    How many calories did you add to maintenance when you bulked?
  • 4KatieLynn4
    4KatieLynn4 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'll give adice off of my experience. I started lifting heavy january of 2011 but really never saw much change. 108 days ago i decided to eat clean i lowered my bf% down to a 14.1, and then started the new rules of lifting for women, an i must say i see a huge change in my body! I deffintly look the best i ever have, and after having a child i never thought i would see my abs again. But their there!!! Im also on a cpl supplements, and drink different drinks. I can honestly say i dont really know what there for, my husband made me a schedule and i take it, but its also made a huge change in my body. Oh and my macros are 35 30 35!! i eat a ton of protein!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!