best recovery foods

Options
So I've overdone it the past few days and now my whole body feels like jello and I can hardly get off the couch today. Its' gonna be a rest day anyway, but I'm wondering what the best things are to eat today to help my body recover for tomorrow.

Replies

• sharonfoncannon
    sharonfoncannon Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump because I want to know also
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I like protien shakes, alot of water and motrin, seems to help...
  • queenmolly68
    Options
    I should point out that I'm not in any pain and have no stiffness, just pure exhaustion.
  • sharonfoncannon
    sharonfoncannon Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bumping again.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Just a decent balance of nutrients.
  • terrirz
    terrirz Posts: 53
    Options
    I like protien shakes, alot of water and motrin, seems to help...

this^..Its what Ive been doing for the last 2 days since restarting my excersizing...I too am taking a rest day.. my knees (torn menicus's couldnt handle another day in a row..lol)...
  • AFluffyNyamma
    AFluffyNyamma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Vitamin shops also have specific recovery drinks. Try Gatorade or something like that with a protein bar, GOOD carbs are suggested as well.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    Just a decent balance of nutrients.

This. There's no need for protein shakes or anything of that sort. Eating wholesome foods would do just as well, if not better. Meat, eggs, vegetables, whole grains, etc.
  • AFluffyNyamma
    AFluffyNyamma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a slice or two of whole grain bread with apple's and some peanut butter. Whatever meets your taste
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    spirulina...
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    banana
  • claricecollins
    Options
    Oatmeal and high fiber fruits and vegs ( like apples and beets). Green tea, coffee, and water help too.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Milk

True Story!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Proper overall nutrition and proper rest. There's no such thing as a "recovery food."
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love p90x recovery drink. It taste like an Orange Julius. 1 scoop is 110 calories.
  • tracidphipps
    Options
    Yep, chocolate milk!
  • RockyDon
    RockyDon Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Protein powder and gatoraid mixed
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was going to say chocolate milk.

I heard this and thought it was crazy. I was using the P90X recovery drink. I compared, almost identical nutrients. So I switched. I use non fat milk and nesquik. You have to use it within an hour of your workout. It replaces all the junk your muscles release when working out. It's very good for your body and eliminates soreness and tiredness.

Try it. You'll be amazed.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Milk

True Story!

Hey, that would do the job nicely!

My favorite when I'm utterly depleted is oatmeal with sunflower seeds, raisins, and a banana (the ripe banana eliminates the need to add sugar), or a good ol' PB&J on whole wheat, with or without a glass of milk.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Milk

True Story!

Hey, that would do the job nicely!

My favorite when I'm utterly depleted is oatmeal with sunflower seeds, raisins, and a banana (the ripe banana eliminates the need to add sugar), or a good ol' PB&J on whole wheat, with or without a glass of milk.

Yes Chocolate Milk has the PERFECT mix of Carb/Protein/Fat combo...and it's the right kind of mix to fuel muscle all while spiking your glycogen levels.

52 grams of carbs, 16 grams of protein, and 5 grams of fat.

If I didn't drink Protein shakes...that's what I'd drink for recovery...Chocolate Milk..Oatmeal...Egg whites...and lot's of Water.