Probably a dumb question...

Options
I have been told that eating too few calories will lower my metabolism, so that when I reach maintenance phase, I won't be able to eat normal amounts of food. My question is.. since I'm excersicing don't they balance eachother out? Eating less lowers metabolism, but working out should help boost it right?

Replies

• hollyshields1
    Options
    yes but not exactly, not eating will lower your metabolism, if you work out, you need to eat those calories you burned too, you will gain muscle but lose fat, this will change the way your body looks, but you need food to fuel your body, it's best to eat several small meals a day, depriving your body of food is not healthy and once you start eating again properly you will just gain all the weight back, so might as well do it right the first time, weight loss will be slow, but it will stay off, cause your changing your life style, not dieting. If you don't eat, this will also cause unhealthy things to happen easily, you can get dizzy, sick quicker, etc.
  • moonchyld62
    moonchyld62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You're body goes into starvation mode if eating too few calories. and exercising what you do take in will starve it more. So create a balance. When you add calories you will slowly increase your metabolism to allow you burn those added calories. Takes a while to adjust it all and work it to your advantage. GOOD LUCK!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    im curious to see future posts on this.

i was kinda wondering this as well.
    i hear about "starvation mode", but then i hear that it;s a myth....idk.

i typically dont reach my calorie "goal" set by mfp, but i've been losing the weight at a rate i think is ok...

honestly, i just can't eat the way i used to (quantity-wise).