not sure where to put this- period issues

Options
Basically, my period is crazy all over the place. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I go months without it. The thing is, I KNOW it's leading to a lot of weight gain when I don't get it... imagine pms-ing for several weeks straight.

I was put on medroxyprogesterone a little over a year ago to induce a period that was 3 months missing. I've now gone an entire month without a period. My weight seems to be going up despite all the hard work I put in. My appetite is insatiable.

So, here I am again, pms-ing forever.

Couple questions:
1) Is there a way to induce a period without the use of hormones?
2) Is there something akin to a pregnancy test where you can tell when your period is coming?

I know, I am way too old to be having so many questions about my cycle, but I've never really met anyone with a cycle as weird as mine before.

Replies

• bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    What you're looking for is an emmenagogue (http://www.sisterzeus.com/Emmeno.htm).

I've tried strong chamomile tea. Or sage tea. (Just get a tea strainer and stuff sage in it - infuse for a long while and add heaps of honey to cover the awful taste!), a couple of times when my period was late (like, 25+ days late)

One time it seemed to work, the other it didn't do much. Or maybe it was a coincidence/placebo. Who knows?

Disclaimer: all this herbal remedy stuff hasn't been scientifically tested, so they might work, or not. Take with a non-literal grain of salt!
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    have you tried iron pills?
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am in your shoes! I went to the OB/GYN and they gave me the run around. So, I found another.

I am currently going through 3 months of medroxyprogesterone(provera) and then will have the Merina implant put in. They are confident that it will (along with diet and exercise) fix the issue. I have been going through this for 11 years.

I am so sick of all of the hormones, so I was reluctant about the implant. They advised me that the hormones are localized and aren't going to be running throughout my body.

The other thing that was completely out of whack was my thyroid. They said that can have a huge effect on my weight, periods, sluggish-ness, etc. I have been on synthroid for over a month and feel great!

I would definitely press for answers and don't give up until you get them.

Side note:

My doctor told me that fat tends to store estrogen, so when we lose weight it can throw our hormones off until our bodies learn to regulate it properly. You might not be losing weight, but if you are burning fat that might be an answer.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Basically, my period is crazy all over the place. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I go months without it. The thing is, I KNOW it's leading to a lot of weight gain when I don't get it... imagine pms-ing for several weeks straight.

I was put on medroxyprogesterone a little over a year ago to induce a period that was 3 months missing. I've now gone an entire month without a period. My weight seems to be going up despite all the hard work I put in. My appetite is insatiable.

Couple questions:
    2) Is there something akin to a pregnancy test where you can tell when your period is coming?

I know, I am way too old to be having so many questions about my cycle, but I've never really met anyone with a cycle as weird as mine before.
    If you have abnormal periods you need to go see your Doctor.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am in your shoes! I went to the OB/GYN and they gave me the run around. So, I found another.

I am currently going through 3 months of medroxyprogesterone(provera) and then will have the Merina implant put in. They are confident that it will (along with diet and exercise) fix the issue. I have been going through this for 11 years.

I am so sick of all of the hormones, so I was reluctant about the implant. They advised me that the hormones are localized and aren't going to be running throughout my body.

The other thing that was completely out of whack was my thyroid. They said that can have a huge effect on my weight, periods, sluggish-ness, etc. I have been on synthroid for over a month and feel great!

Side note:

My doctor told me that fat tends to store estrogen, so when we lose weight it can throw our hormones off until our bodies learn to regulate it properly. You might not be losing weight, but if you are burning fat that might be an answer.

Just a warning. My doc told me the hormones in mirena were "localized". It so wasn't true for me. Water weight gain, bigger and painful boobs, migraines... Not so local.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    There are tests to tell you when you're ovulating which you can use to calculate when you're period should come but if it's not coming, then you may not be ovulating normally. I had the same issue when I was younger. I would go months without a period and there were a lot of negative side effects physically. The only thing that has helped me is birth control. I'm on a very low dose birth control pill (Loestrin 24). I have been on this brand for 3 years. It keeps me completely regular and I have not had any side effects from it the way I did with some of the higher dose formulas - no weight gain or difficulty losing the weight, no mood swings and best of all no pms.

Everyone reacts differently to the hormones in birth control but for me the consistency with the hormones has regulated my normally erratic hormones in a very helpful way. I hope you find a solution that works for you because I know how frustrating it can be.
  • DangerDiv
    DangerDiv Posts: 62
    Options
    wow, you guys! thank you so much for all the responses so quickly! you guys are the best! I'm gonna go through and reply, so give me a second.
  • gem057
    gem057 Posts: 12
    Options

Couple questions:

have they always been like this?, how much weight have you lost? and what age bracket are you in. Mine were always like that and I became very overweight due to poly cystic ovaries. Now approaching the end of my reproductive years and suddenly they decide to become regular.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Danger....mine are the same. I won't have one for months & then I'll get it & the menses (oooogy words) lasts for 2-8 weeks!! Ugh! I hate it!! The only solution docs have given me is oral birth control. Thing is...I want to get preggers and BC screws that up by design. So I just deal with it and hope it is merely weight related & once I get to a healthier weight, things will even up. As for PMS...if you are having it that LONG you may want to research PMDD. I have it. It's prolonged extreme PMS that is an actual disorder. Research your options & talk to your doc. Best wishes!!
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Side note:

I have the same with my thyroid glands.
    As I prefer to go the natural way I did some research for nutrition for a balanced thyroid.
    I read that the main minerals the western world may lack are selenium and iodine.

I read an article written by a girl who had the same problems as me. She tried different medications with her doctor but nothing really helped. Then she started taking selenium....and things got better for her

I was already taking iodine (sea kelp) and started taking selenium supplements about two weeks ago, And I noticed the difference within 3 days. I am not joking!
    *I wake up with more energy
    *I don't gain weight straight back after a 'bad eating day'
    *and weird but true....the skin on my foot-soles changed....its so soft...and it used to be thick and cracked and I just thought it was how my feet were supposed to be.
  • DangerDiv
    Options
    Bunsen: Hey, so the one time it worked... it worked within 24 hours or over some days? Thanks so much for this info! I've tried all sorts of ayurvedic remedies, but it is soooooo tedious after a while that I gave up. I think what you send me will be MUCH better. Thank you thank you!!!

Dellklum: Hiya! Yeah, I have. :-( I don't have any nutritional deficiencies, though, so that's probably why the iron didn't do much.

Alicia: Yeah, man! That medroxyprogesterone def works. Thing is, I just want nothing to do with hormones anymore. The doc is always putting me on more and more homrones. Which makes sense, 'cos that's what docs are supposed to do. I just don't wanna keep putting that stuff in my body. Speaking of thyroid, my mom has lupus and was thinking I might have a thyroid problem or something, too. Again, though, I just don't want to have to reply on meds for anything in life. I've very grateful for medicine, but I really only like to go that route now if I am deathly ill or need to get stitched up. And you were PLENTY of help, so no worries and thank you so much.

llfp: you don't say?

cinsuccess: OMG, I CAN TAKE AN OVULATION TEST AND THAT WILL TELL ME?! HOW DOES THAT WORK?! I'm not kidding, I will run to the store right now and buy one. thank you, also, for the loestrin solution. I really just don't want to have to rely on hormones to regulate this stuff anymore. I'd like my body to just hurry up and figure itself out, hahahahhaa. Thank you so much for the tips and get back to me on the ovulation test! I'm gonna google it, too.

Again, thanks everyone for all your responses, I appreciate it so much!
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Okay so in your shoes too in a way, I have for over a year only cycled once every 60-90 days. My OB tested my hormones and all of my bloodwork came back normal. I informed him of my level of physical activity and he said that can be the cause. He did aslo say that is should level off and correct itself. I went from having a cycle that you could set a month calander to to this. It did not level off for me prior to taking a temporary Hyatis from my schedule(told in Oct it would level, took my break in Feb). Once i took my break, everything was back to normal by my next cycle(which started within 2 weeks of my break). I don't have a good suggestion, I personally try and stay away from any hormones to regulate my system.
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    My mom had very similar issues. Her menses was erratic, and when it did come it was very heavy and lasted a long time. For her it was related to thyroid issues. I don't know everything they did to try to fix it, but I know there was a lot of hormone therapy involved. Ultimately she had a laser hysterectomy like thing. I don't remember what it's called. They remove the uterine lining but not the whole uteris. That was a lost resort though, and she was in her forties and had already had kids. I'd definitely get your thyroid checked though if you haven't. Even if that isn't the issue with your period, it could be part of why you don't lose any weight.
  • DangerDiv
    Options
    and I'm back fromt he store... took a little bit of bunsen's advice and a little bit of cinsuccess's advice.

I got something by traditional medicines called "Female Toner"... the reviews are stelllllllar, so hopefully that'll help me out.

Also, I bought a 7-stick ovulation predictor. I texted my mom ahead of time, so when she comes down for commencement in a week, she's not trippin' that I'm trying to make babies, hahahhahahahahahha. cos she would. she would def freak out on me.
  • DangerDiv
    Options
    anddddddd... i'm not ovulating. sooooo, i hope this tea works, man. i am tripppppppin'. it's so weird, 'cos everyone hates their period and I am so excited when i get mine, that I usually can't shut up about it. 'cos i rarely get it.
  • DangerDiv
    Options
    sorry, didn't realize there were more responses. thank you again soooooo much for all the input, y'all!

gem: this big issue really only started sometime last year. after I was given the medroxy, subsequent to the period, I immediately lost 10 lbs. I've been on and off birth control since to regulate, but finally had it with the stuff around december. the following period came during a normal time, but now that the hormone is no longer in my system, my body seems to have a hard time refulating itself. I lost a few lbs from the period in december/january, but have since just been gaining and gaining and gaining weight and am now up to 132 lbs (that might not seem like much, but believe me, I'm a small person. i am blessed in that way, but cursed by this irregular period thing.)

mamamc: yeahhhhhh, i want to get pregnant some day, too, which is exactly why I don't want the hormones anymore. I'm going to need to find a better way to get a period. hopefully this Female Toner thing from traditional medicines works.

dellklum: I know you were responding to someone else, but that is interesting stuff right there! does selenium work wonders for everyone or just those with thyroid issues???

curely: when i first went into my doc last year to tell her about my probs she told me I was working out too much, too!!! then she gave me a weird look when i told her i gained too much weight (I was about 134 or so at that time). What she didn't realize is that the weight gain affected my job (law student, but was still modeling at the time, too). anyway, she put me on the medroxy and over 10 lbs came off right after my period was done. I know it's all building up again and it makes me want to screammmmmmm, 'cos I work out too hard for all this. and the thing is, yeah, i work out a lot, but I'm not marathon runner status. and even if i was... those girls are very svelte... so it makes no sense to me. it is simple math if you ask me- you work off more cals than you put in, then bam... you should lose weight not gain it. period or no period. anyway, ughhhhh, oh man, i could go on forever. glad to see someone else's doc told 'em the same. yeah, i refuse to do hormones anymore. i wanna have les babies in about 4-5 years.

randommiranda: oooooooh. yeah, I don't think I'm gonna need lasers or anything just yet, hahahahhaha. but yeah, after the bar exam, i might go see an endocrinologist and get some things tested. i won't do hormones, though.