Heart rate question

Options
Hi,

I've never really worried too much about my heart rate, I mean it is interesting to see on the machines in the gym and on my sports watch but I don't really know what it means. Well, I went away for the weekend with some friends and one of them had just downloaded a heart rate monitor app on his phone so we were just chatting about heart rate etc. I told them that when I first wake up in the morning my heart rate is about 46-48 then during the day it is between maybe 48-55, they seemed shocked by this and told me that was too low and I must be mistaken but I'm not. Should I be worried?

Then they freaked out that it shoots up to around 165-175 when I run, again I didn't think it was a problem but is it?

Thanks

Replies

• bangersnmash90
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but a low resting heart rate usually is an indicator that you are in good shape. The higher heart rate during your run does not seem excessive if you are running for long periods or are running uphill or at a good pace.
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Those numbers seem fine to me. The resting heart rate is a little lower than mine, but as scott said that probably just means you're in better shape :)
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Not a problem as farr as I know... my RHR is around 54 BPM and when I go give blood they take my vitals (HR, Blood pressure etc) and the nurse always comments that I must be fairly active and says "good for you!" My HR during a hard workout can get as high as 170's... which is fine I think (I just go by the old 220 minus your age for your max HR. Then shoot for 75-85% of that for a workout.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    I'm not a doctor either - but my wife is, so by osmosis (and the fact that I am a stroke survivor so heart rate stuff is important to me), low resting heart rate is good but under 50 (under 60 for men) is potentially worrisome, Something you should check out with your doc just to be safe. How are you measuring your heart rate when waking?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Agree with scottgut. A resting HR in the 40's is very good. I'm a couple years older than you and I regularly train in the 160s and 170s. Its fine. There is literature indicating that maintaining a HR above 200 is dangerous, but you're quite a bit lower than that, and young. Don't listen to your friends. They're jealous of your low resting HR. As am I.
  • offdutyguy
    offdutyguy Posts: 19
    Options
    Your Resting Heart rate is a little low. I would Mechanically check it in case your device is wrong. If its correct I would see a doctor. Its not uncommonl for runners or athletes to have lower resting HR. But usually thats in the upper 50-60 bpm. If your heart is skipping a beat that may explain the readings you are getting from your devise. If you are non symptomatic then Im sure you are fine, but I still would consult with my doctor. Good luck.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Those numbers seem fine to me. They're very close to my own.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor either - but my wife is, so by osmosis (and the fact that I am a stroke survivor so heart rate stuff is important to me), low resting heart rate is good but under 50 (under 60 for men) is worrisome, Something you should check out with your doc just to be safe. How are you measuring your heart rate when waking?

^^^^ This.

You're probably just in great shape. But that seems "elite athlete" low.

99% chance everything is fine, but I'd check with a medical professional and see if they recommend an EKG or some simple tests, just to make sure everything is okey-dokey.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Some people just run a low heart rate - same with blood pressure - if it's normal for you, it's NORMAL!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    A low resting heartrate can be a sign of one of two things. 1. A high degree of aerobic fitness or 2. Heart disease.

If you do a lot of cardiovascular exercise and have no adverse symptoms it is probably a sign of high fitness.

If you are concerned then you can see a Dr. to be sure.

My morning heartrate is usually around 40.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    48-55 seems perfectly fine to me. That's where my HR has been for years.

Although, in Feb, I had my appendix removed, and in the PACU they had to monitor me as my HR was in the low 30s and my blood pressure was like 60 / 80.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Not a problem as farr as I know... my RHR is around 54 BPM and when I go give blood they take my vitals (HR, Blood pressure etc) and the nurse always comments that I must be fairly active and says "good for you!" My HR during a hard workout can get as high as 170's... which is fine I think (I just go by the old 220 minus your age for your max HR. Then shoot for 75-85% of that for a workout.

This is me!! I suppose it would hurt to talk to your doctor about it, just bring it up at your next appointment! Especially if your like me and have a elevated heart at the doctors because of 'doctor' anxiety! LOL
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal if you do a lot of cardio. Means that you have trained your heart to be more efficient, so it does it's job with less effort. Also allows you to exercise at higher levels before you hit your max heartrate. I'm not an "elite athlete" but I do run quite a bit. My "resting heartrate" is generally between 42-47. Had surgery a few weeks ago and the nurse told me it even dropped to 37 while sleeping.
    On the other hand, if you are not doing a lot of cardio, maybe check with your doctor.
  • bangersnmash90
    Options
    Thanks everyone :). I do quite a lot of cardio, I run 3 x weekly and do some workout DVD's so I'm sure you're right and there is nothing to worry about but I'm due a doctors visit anyway so I may bring it up and see what they say.

I have a sportsline hrm watch which is what I've used to check the rate but I have used a few other hrm's, like my friend's one and the gym machine ones, and they are all fairly consistent.

Thanks again for putting my mind more at ease than before!