I have no energy!!! Help!!

Options
I am finding lately that I have no energy. I get done with work and the last thing that my body wants to do is go to the gym. Are there foods or tricks to get more energy without having to take any of those energy drinks (which i assume are not that great for you) ?

I feel like I may be slipping back into bad habits by finding excuses to not go to the gym. I do not want to erase all of this progress that I have made.

I guess I'm just having a hard time right now. Bleh. Sob story over.

Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Arrange your meals so your biggest is an hour or two before your workout.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I have no access to your diary, so it's hard to say, except that the "energy drinks" are the WRONG way to go.

Have you been eating back your exercise calories and giving your body the fuel it needs to sustain good workouts? Or are you taking the "undereating shortcut" of not eating enough so you lose weight faster - which will cause frequent plateaus and energy loss. I've dieted that way for 30+ years, familiar territory.

Check your balance of fats, carbs, and proteins. Are you eating too little of some specific thing?

Are you hydrating?
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    going to the gym will give you energy
  • verbalriot
    verbalriot Posts: 90
    Options
    Are you eating enough carbs? So many dieters think carbs are a no no for weight loss...carbs give us energy and sustain us so we COULD go to the gym.

I know how you feel though. Some days, I come home and I'm so mentally exhausted from work that I don't want to do anything. For me, it helps to think of how I'll feel AFTER the workout. Have you ever regretted one when it's over? I always feel way better.

And if you really don't want to go to the gym, how about going on a walk or just dancing in your house? That's still exercise!
  • nicolynn33
    nicolynn33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've cut my carbs significantly (although i'm getting close to the recommended amount that MFP says I should have)

I was doing really well with being at my calorie count and then going to the gym on top of that, but lately I just want to lay on the couch. If that happens, that usually leads to endless snacking.
  • Vicki685
    Vicki685 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It might also be worth checking that you are getting enough vitamins. I went through a few weeks of being totally exhausted in the evenings (long before starting MFP) to the point where I had to come home and sleep and it turned out my problem was not enough of certain vits and minerals.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a regular, balanced diet? Or have any dietary restrictions?

I ask because various vitamin/mineral deficiencies can cause the symptoms you're describing. Some examples are Vitamin B12 (my personal demon), Vitamin D, Iron, folate...it might be as easy as adjusting your diet or taking a supplement. Might be worth a blood test.

Edit: Me and Vicky685 posted the same answer at the same time. Ha!
  • Drawberry
    Drawberry Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I feel this way constantly every day :/ I often begin my day already feeling burnt out and exhausted and by mid afternoon (around 2-4) I feel so tired I could pass out.

However, depression and anxiety make it difficult for me to feel energized at times and can make it hard for me to really get the 'kick' most people get from exercise. If you know you're competing with depression or anxiety disorder this could easily be a contributing factor to a lack of energy and something I fight against every day.

Anxiety disorder, depression, and good ol' fashioned hormonal birth control piled up make it a real fun time for me trying to get energy ಠ_ಠ

There are many foods that can help boost up our energy too, here's a nifty little list I stole of some good foods to give you a boost;
    1. Whole grains. They're high in fiber (which can help slow the breakdown and absorption of sugar) and complex carbohydrates. They also contain antioxidants similar to those in fruits and vegetables. Additionally, they reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. Adults should eat 6 to 11 servings of whole grains per day. Examples include whole grain breads, pastas, and rice.
    Breakfast
    2. Oatmeal. According to the American Dietetic Association, oat products are some of the best sources of soluble fiber. You can combine oatmeal with raisins, honey, and yogurt for extra flavor and energy.

3. Bananas. This fruit is packed with potassium, which helps your muscles contract. One per day prevents stiffness that comes from sitting at a desk.

4. Orange Juice. This drink is ideal for the morning and is extremely high in vitamin C, which helps you get the most iron out of other foods.
    Meals
    5. Pasta. When athletes "carbo-load" before a game, they usually eat a big plate of spaghetti. It's extremely high in complex carbohydrates and low in calories, fat, and sodium.
    6. Salmon. This fish is high in protein, and its high concentration of omega-3 fats and B vitamins can boost your cardiovascular health.

7. Beans. A small, powerful vegetable packed with protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, beans can be used in creative ways. Add them to soups, burritos, pastas, and dip spreads. In 2005 the Department of Agriculture recommended that Americans eat three cups of beans per week.
    Snack
    8. Dried fruit. These high-energy, low-fat snacks are easy to pack and almost never go bad. Try a medley of apricots, figs, and raisins. However, be aware that some commercially packaged dried fruits contain sulfur dioxide, which has been shown to increase your risk of asthma.

9. Almonds. Ounce-for-ounce, this is the most nutrient-dense nut. Research has shown that adding two ounces of almonds to your daily diet increases your intake of vitamin-E and magnesium.

10. Yogurt. Quick, easy, and delicious, yogurt is available in a variety flavors. One cup of low-fat yogurt contains almost 13 grams of protein and 17 grams of carbohydrates-just what you need for great energy.
  • islandpwp
    islandpwp Posts: 32
    Options
    I found had more energy when cut carbs and increased protein, helped with snacking also
  • nicolynn33
    nicolynn33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not taking any vitamins right now. Maybe that will help!
  • g0tta_lose_it
    Options
    I've been feeling the SAME! Try drinking water, I really hate drinking water (haha I don't know why!) but drinking water actually does help. Also try to eat more of your calories from protein, because it will give you more energy. Taking vitamins is a good idea, especially if you're eating less, certain mineral defficiency's can cause you to feel tired and hungry. Try having a pre-workout snack to give you energy- carbs (not white) and protein is a good combination.
  • chevere94501
    Options
    What it works for me is the munchies.. I posted this a few days ago and it is helping others.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/576862-midday-munchies

Feel free to add me to your list.

Ciao,
    Jose
  • awinnham
    awinnham Posts: 1
    Options
    I take Glacial Milk Complete Nutrition. It is a vitamin/ mineral liquid I found at Sam's Club. It has given me energy where I used to have none. And it did it without causing any hunger as some vitamins do. It doesn't taste great so I mix it with juice and it is much better. One bottle cost 22.99 I believe and It last me about 7 weeks. It just makes you feel better all over. The only problem is you can only get it at Sams. But if you don't have one nearby you can go on line and find it.
  • meesh525
    meesh525 Posts: 3
    Options
    We've definitely all been there! Some days are good, and some days are not so good. For me, I don't let myself go home on the days that I plan to work out. I bring my gym clothes to work and change before I leave the office, this way I feel like I'm already committed and have to at least do something. However, if you really feel like you want to go home and just unwind, I've found that yoga (or even Pilates) is a great workout. It's relaxing, yet you can still challenge yourself.

If you feel like you really need that sugar to give you that extra boost, I've found that balancing your sugar with a protein can be helpful. For example, if you have some yogurt, toss some walnuts or almonds or something in there. This way you can get that little sugar spike while avoiding the crash that comes 15 mins later.

I hope this helps! :)
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    I hear meth is great...

Okay no, but seriously make sure you're eating well, and not underdoing it, especially on gym days!! Energy drinks are great IN A PINCH but do not rely on them, they're seriously bad for you in general!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water. Enough said.
  • lovesbikes
    lovesbikes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I find that having a cliff bar before going on my rides really helps me.
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    Would it be pooisble for you to get in an early morning workout? I am like you when it comes to the end of the day. I will skip it more often than not. I have found that as much as I like my morning sleep, I have a much better day if I just get up and do it!!
    Also, I take a dose of liquid L-carnitine before my workout and I think it helps me. Good luck!
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    eat lots of veg with all meals
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I increase my low-fat protein and water when I start feeling zapped. Turns me around every time...