$5.00 food scale

Options
I've been putting off getting a food scale.....

1. Thought I probably didn't need one, why spend the extra money?

2. Thought they would cost an arm and a leg....

Well, I found one at Bed Bath and Beyond for $5.99.

Even better, I had one of those junk mail coupons for 20% off any one item in the store.

So.... out the door, it was $4.79 plus tax. I'm sure it's not accurate to the tenth of an ounce like some of the $50.00 food scales I saw in stores, but I can take the basket off the top and put a plastic dinner plate and "zero" it to weigh the food on top.... I like that! It's been really helpful so far.... I've had it all of two days, and it's been incredibly useful with things like:

- block cheese (I know... an inch, by inch, by inch is supposed to be an ounce.... still!) and grated cheese (is that 1/4 cup loosely packed, or firmly packed?? :laugh: )

- deli-sliced meat

- cooked meats (boneless, skinless chicken breasts..... grilled steak.... etc)

- PASTA!!! I've actually realized I've been over-estimating my portions.... now I get to eat more, yippee!

- chips, crackers, things where the package says "A serving size of this is 1.2 oz... " etc

I'm sure I'll find more uses.... just wanted to throw this out there just in case someone is in the same position I was. I'm glad I got it!

:smile: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• vanessadawn
    Options
    I actually agree that a scale would be very helpful, deli meats have always alluded me in guessing the calories. Also things like chicken breasts, steaks, etc.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    WOO.... that's a HOT tip baby! :drinker: :love:

I surely have been off on many items using my "eyeball" measuring system. :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • MIMI74
    Options
    DO YOU KNOW IF YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO WEIGH COOKED OR UNCOOKED? IT SEEMS THAT YOU WOULD WANT TO WEIGH IT COOKED CUZ THAT'S HOW U R GOING TO EAT IT BUT, "I DON'T KNOW"!?!?:blushing:
  • twilight1542
    Options
    DO YOU KNOW IF YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO WEIGH COOKED OR UNCOOKED? IT SEEMS THAT YOU WOULD WANT TO WEIGH IT COOKED CUZ THAT'S HOW U R GOING TO EAT IT BUT, "I DON'T KNOW"!?!?:blushing:

I weigh meats & veggies uncooked
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    can you tell me the brand of the food scale i also have one of those 20% off coupons and i would love to get one if it's only a few bucks ...
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I was looking for one in walmart..but couldnt find one I guess Ill check my local bath and body work..Thanks for the tip:happy:
  • lalawitheca
    Options
    I weigh most things the way I eat them. Hot cooked, fresh/cold raw.

Check the label sometimes it has a different weight or serving size based upon cooked or from the package.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I found one on amazon for about the same cost, if you are ordering other things you can get free shipping. Yay amazon!
  • PatB52
    Options
    I'll have to go check that out. I'll need to dig through the newspaper recycle sack for the coupon. :)
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    can you tell me the brand of the food scale i also have one of those 20% off coupons and i would love to get one if it's only a few bucks ...

Sure! It's made by Salter.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13581258

The scale actually fits inside the basket, and it comes with a little plastic lid... perfect for disassembling it and tucking it discretely into the cabinet within easy reach (and out of the way of curious little toddler hands who think it's really cool to watch the dial move when you play with it or put hotwheels and legos in it)!!

Also has a 10 year warranty :huh: cool beans! :bigsmile:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I have a million of those cupons. The Bed Bath and Beyond I shop at lets me use as many as I want regardless of the expiration date! I love that place!!!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I was looking for one in walmart..but couldnt find one I guess Ill check my local bath and body work..Thanks for the tip:happy:

Bed Bath and Beyond.....not....Bath and Body Works They might not know what you are talking about:laugh: I always mix up thier names, sent someone to bath and body works for a paper towel holder once. I couldn't figure out why they had a confused look on thier face when I told them:laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • hgirl1021
    Options

Bed Bath and Beyond.....not....Bath and Body Works They might not know what you are talking about:laugh: I always mix up thier names, sent someone to bath and body works for a paper towel holder once. I couldn't figure out why they had a confused look on thier face when I told them:laugh:

:flowerforyou:

:laugh: this makes me laugh because i worked at Bath & Body Works for some time, and even my family would call it BB&B. definitely a different line of products!!