i have an addiction to ice

Options
krislshoe
krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
I am so addicted to ice and water...is that weird? i almost always drink 80 oz of water a day with ice in it and i love chewing the ice...drives my husband crazy but i actually crave it....just wondering if anyone else finds that they crave water and ice.

Replies

• alaina216
    alaina216 Posts: 103
    Options
    I love ICE too--but my doctor tells me it us a sign of anemia, and sure enough Im Anemic :(---Might want to have labs done and make sure you are getting enough Iron. If all is well-Then just enjoy the Ice :)
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My daughter says that I am a "wateraholic" I always have a bottle of water with me. There is usually a 6 pack of bottled water in my car. I just can't drink enough of it.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    me too! I crave water and love chewing on ice. Everyone tells me the ice thing is because I'm sexually frustrated (but I can tell you that is not true AT ALL!) :wink:
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For a long time I couldn't conceive of drinking mainly water all the time. Now I've made the switch and love it. And if the ice melts it doesn't water anything down. lol
    I have heard it's not uncommon for people who chew ice to be anemic. I was when I was young, but not anymore.
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love ICE too--but my doctor tells me it us a sign of anemia, and sure enough Im Anemic :(---Might want to have labs done and make sure you are getting enough Iron. If all is well-Then just enjoy the Ice :)
    This is definitely true a lot of times. I second this post and think you should go to the MD to get your labs checked.
  • kappharmd
    kappharmd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am so addicted to ice and water...is that weird? i almost always drink 80 oz of water a day with ice in it and i love chewing the ice...drives my husband crazy but i actually crave it....just wondering if anyone else finds that they crave water and ice.

You should let your doc know. This may be a form of pica, and it may be a symptom of anemia. OR you could just really like ice!! :) Either way, i'd let the doc know!
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options
    this is funny to me! I WISH I was addicted to water/ice. I'm gonna really try now.
  • Lieberm
    Lieberm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have heard over the years, and my physician confirmed years ago, that chewing ice is an indication of an iron deficiency. I do not know if this is still conventional wisdom or not...
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    If you crave chewing ice, get your iron levels checked. It's a common symptom of iron deficient anemia. As soon as your iron levels rise, your ice chewing cravings will be reduced (usually eliminated).

I had the issue for years. With my anemia under control, my chewing cravings are gone. Chewing ice is pretty bad for your teeth, and anemia is not something to mess with long-term, so get yourself checked and treated.
  • fpgessel
    fpgessel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can attest to the iron deficiency anemia from experience. Use to chew ice all the time. Ended up being diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. Still have iron issues to this day. Get to the doctors and have him check.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I did years ago but was cracking teeth so stopped...
    Still love to drink my water ICE cold tho..
    I found a large cup with a lid to drink mine so I dont do the ice thing

Funny I have never been anemic... so not sure why I craved ice chewing. I think mine was partly stress related
  • Red7Basil
    Red7Basil Posts: 36
    Options
    Hahahahah! This is me! I am addicted to ice! It is a frozen treat and ensures that I drink the water my body needs.
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Chewing ice is a def symptom of anemia or iron deficiency! I had never 'chewed' ice until I became severly anemic and almost died... emergency blood transfusion.
    My daughter also had the problem recently and was eating ice like crazy. She almost reached the level to have a transfusion... caught just in time!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Total opposite here- I like my water on the warm side and iceless (preferably with lemon).
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I love ice too!
  • hjackson1226
    hjackson1226 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Definitely get your iron levels checked. I used to eat ice ALL the time and when I went to the doc I found out I was severely anemic. I had iron infusions (iron by IV) because mine was so low. Once my levels regulated, the urge to eat ice went away. I hardly ever eat a piece of ice now. Besides, its really bad for your teeth too.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I want my water super cold- lots and lots of ice..be careful of eating the ice though.. I know a lady that broke a tooth that way
  • katiejneely
    katiejneely Posts: 52
    Options
    I am sooooo addicted to ice. I will even drive to the other side of town to go to certain gas stations where I know they have "good ice". I will have a cup of ice at night--it really helps so I don't eat while I watch tv, etc.
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yeah I like my water room temperature. I reeally don't like ice water...
    BUT I do like ice...
    does that make sense....
  • Rshaw18244
    Rshaw18244 Posts: 4
    Options
    I absolutely craved ice and ate it all day long last summer- so much that I bought my own ice crusher ! Had bloodwork done and I was indeed anemic, so my Dr. put me on a supplement and suggested I eat more iron-rich foods (I am vegetarian so dont eat meat). Now that my level is back to normal I do still enjoy and eat ice, but don't have the same craving for it. You may want to get bloodwork done just to see if your level is low. Anemia can cause other symptoms as well, especially fatigue and shortness of breath.