i have an addiction to ice

Options
2»

Replies

• Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Total opposite here- I like my water on the warm side and iceless (preferably with lemon).

I'm with you on this one.
    I can't do cold water; I like it room temperature.
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have heard over the years, and my physician confirmed years ago, that chewing ice is an indication of an iron deficiency. I do not know if this is still conventional wisdom or not...

True story.
    I'm an RN.
    Just sayin'
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I love ICE too--but my doctor tells me it us a sign of anemia, and sure enough Im Anemic :(---Might want to have labs done and make sure you are getting enough Iron. If all is well-Then just enjoy the Ice :)

I concur with this - I was that way too until my doc did labs and sure enough I too was anemic.
  • courtcourtfnp
    courtcourtfnp Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Be careful chewing on ice...it can cause anemia.
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I did this while i was pregnant , It turned out I was really low on Iron!!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Just another vote for getting your red blood cell and iron levels checked. I had this too, went to the Dr. and although I wasn't anemic my ferritin levels were low. Started taking iron supplements and it went away.
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am too! I drink so much throughout the day that I don't even bother logging it. I love chewing on ice haha I guess we would do well in hospitals

nicolemilillo.weebly.com
  • EllieLou357
    EllieLou357 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is also a sign that you could have low iron. Might need to get your blood checked.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Be careful chewing on ice...it can cause anemia.

It doesn't cause anemia, it is a symptom of anemia.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    google pica
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread made me realize I also have an addiction to ice. I love ice and add it to all my drinks during the day expect for my morning coffee. And I'm also anemic lol. Thanks OP for making this thread.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I love ICE too--but my doctor tells me it us a sign of anemia, and sure enough Im Anemic :(---Might want to have labs done and make sure you are getting enough Iron. If all is well-Then just enjoy the Ice :)

This. My sister used to eat ice, found out she was anemic, then found out that she had damaged her teeth (her old fillings actually).
  • RachelK40
    RachelK40 Posts: 17
    Options
    ENJOY ICE IN MODERATION AND BURN CALORIES AT THE SAME TIME!!!

When you drink cold water, your body uses energy to heat up the water to match the temperature of your body so that it can be used for hydration. The colder the water, the more energy it takes to heat it up.

8 Oz. of Ice Water:

An 8-oz. glass of ice water will burn approximately 1 to 8 calories, depending on how cold the water is and your body temperature.

8 Cups a Day:

The average person is supposed to consume about 64 oz. of water a day, or eight 8-oz. glasses. This averages out to about 60 calories burned, depending on the temperature of the water and your body.

Dangers:

While drinking ice water alone won't necessarily help you lose weight, it can be dangerous if drank excessively. Drinking too much water can lead to hyponatremia, in which your kidneys can't process the excess water, which dilutes and lowers the sodium content of your blood. This can cause potentially dangerous cellular swelling.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    When I do drink ice water (which used to be every day; less now that we have a 12L filtered water thingy in the fridge), I chomp on the ice every time. :smile:
  • yukonmomof4
    Options
    I was the same way a few years ago and ended up in the hospital getting a blood transfusion. 4 pints of blood later and I felt pretty good. No one ever said anything about anemia before but now looking back it explains a lot. Please have your iron level checked. (Now i can't stand to have ice added to a drink. where as before i was going thru a 20lb bag of ice by myself in 2 days)
  • jaxson65
    jaxson65 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I was really addicted to ice and it happened twice to me. I would literally go everyday to the supermarket and get two big bags of ice. I would chomp on 4 kgs a day of the stuff. It was a deficiency of some mineral and came under the top 10 dangerous cravings during pregnancy. The cravings disappeared slowly about six months after they were both born. Oh and I had a badly cracked tooth from doing it too. So I guess you should see a doctor and have an overall check just to make sure that you are ok.
  • jaxson65
    jaxson65 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Me too really badly as well.:happy:
  • AshHerch
    AshHerch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My mom loved chewing ice and her friend had told her that means you are low on iron.. and sure enough she is VERY low on iron!