Abnormal TOM-question to the girls....

Options
QUESTION TO THE GIRLS-
About 4 TOMS ago, I started having TOMS where I would bleed for about 3 days, then I wouldn't for 1-2 days, then I would start back up for 1-2 days.

This happen to anyone else?

I haven't changed my exercise routine...
I did change my thyroid meds, but that was just this month...
The last year has been very heavy on day 1-2...
Don't take oral contraceptives...
No abnormal pain...

ANY THOUGHTS?
(Please...don't want "YOU MAY HAVE CANCER' or wierd guesses. Looking for people that have personal 1st or 2nd hand experience with this and if they found anything about it.)

Thanks in advance,
Kory

Replies

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    This is one for a doc or nurse practioner, usually you can call and speak with a nurse at you doc's office and maybe they can shed some light on the situation even without a visit. Better to get the answer from someone qualified than those of us who are well intentioned, but not necessarily knowledgable. : )
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. That is all.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is one for a doc or nurse practioner, usually you can call and speak with a nurse at you doc's office and maybe they can shed some light on the situation even without a visit. Better to get the answer from someone qualified than those of us who are well intentioned, but not necessarily knowledgable. : )

this, alot of things can mess with your cycle, stress, weight loss, hormones, meds. Its best to atleast call and maybe get it checked out
  • Mikesrobin
    Mikesrobin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. That is all.

ditto
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    That was a normal thing for me, but because it is not normal for you, see your obgyn. Better to be safe than sorry
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    Def happened to me after I lost weight/got closer to my goal. Doctor just said there is less to shed so it isn't consistent and I needn't worry. :-)
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I wish I could answer for you, I suggest going to the doctors because all we can do is speculate. Good luck.
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    yeah happens to me most months, has done since i was a teenager, but because its a change in your usual cycle just see docs to get checked.x
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I don't think its anything major. I always get my period for the first day then then next day is pretty non existent then two more days of bleeding. Mine has been this way for a few years now. I'd just mention it to your doctor next time you go but I wouldn't go out an make an appointment over it. Your periods change as you get older. Not menopause changes I only mean, but it could be different in your teens/late teens compared to your mid/late 20s kind of change. If everything else feels fine usually that means things are okay. Could just be varying hormone levels.

Oh yeah just to add, I'm not a doctor. I told my doctor about it a while back and he didn't even check anything, he just said it was normal. I figure it's a common occurrence.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    my cycle was always like that before I started DEPO and no longer have one. My doctor said it was normal but if its new for you I would give them a call and ask just to make sure.
  • PaulaJKelly
    PaulaJKelly Posts: 96
    Options
    You should at least talk with the doctor who is regulating your thyroid medicines. If they don't think the meds should cause this change, then check in with your ob/gyn doctor. Changes happen but should be monitored by a physician who knows you.
  • backto20
    backto20 Posts: 17
    Options
    I wish I could answer for you, I suggest going to the doctors because all we can do is speculate. Good luck.

Agree
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That was the norm for me from the time I started having them. The mid point of my period was always WAY lighter to non existant. If it is out of the ordinary for you though, you need to check with your Dr.

ETA: When mine started getting heavier for the first few days of each cycle it was due to fibroids and polyps...
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should go see a health professional for this if you're worried, since we may have good intentions, but not the best info.

If it helps at all, I will share an anecdote with you: about a year and a half ago, my lady business got all crazy and out of whack. I'd bleed, stop , bleed again, and sometimes go 2 months without a period. I went to the doctor, and he said everything was perfectly fine, my period was just being weird. I got on the pill and my problems were solved.
    This is not meant to convey that you should get on the pill, just that you may be worrying about something that doesn't mean anything. :flowerforyou:
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    well, I agree w/ everyone to get checked by the doc since it's abnormal for you. For me that's normal- I bleed for 2-3 days straight, don't for a couple of days, then I'll have a day of bleeding and be finished.
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I just found out from my Dr. that since having my son (hes 3now) that my body stopped producing one of the chemicals it needed and that is why my TOM has been whacked out these past few years . the DR. put me on hormone pills and he said it should reduce the flow..and the weirdness of things like what you talked about... he called it " POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME" google it and see if the symptoms fit you and if they do go talk to your doctor. :flowerforyou:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should go see a health professional for this if you're worried, since we may have good intentions, but not the best info.

If it helps at all, I will share an anecdote with you: about a year and a half ago, my lady business got all crazy and out of whack. I'd bleed, stop , bleed again, and sometimes go 2 months without a period. I went to the doctor, and he said everything was perfectly fine, my period was just being weird. I got on the pill and my problems were solved.
    This is not meant to convey that you should get on the pill, just that you may be worrying about something that doesn't mean anything. :flowerforyou:

Not to be a buzzkill, but your problem isn't really solved. It's just being managed with medication now. Did your doctor make sure you were ovulating before the bc?
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I will bring it up the next time I see my doc, but I am glad to see there are so many others that have this same 'method'.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "call your doctor" sentiment, NOT from a scare tactic perspective, but more for piece of mind. There are a slew of things that affect the plumbing that require a doctor's diagnosis, such as fibroids, ovarian cysts, or maybe natural rise or fall in a particular hormone. And yeah, even weight loss.

(Love the Viking brooches and the amber in your pic btw...)
  • ChristinaWgettingfit
    Options
    It could be a hormonal change that resulted from a change in your thyroid medication, or something like PCOS. If your TOM has always been "regular" than I recommend calling the RN at your OB/GYN's office and asking her. She will have the best recommendations on how to handle the situation.