exercises / tips to get rid of saddlebags??

Options
hey!
i have saddlebags and don't know how to get rid of them. my weight is now 114lbs. i train cardio 4-6 times a week, and strength 2-3 times. does anyone have any suggestions for exercises i can do? it feels like the fat around my butt/thigh area just won't go away..!!

Replies

• NiaCadi
    NiaCadi Posts: 2
    Options
    Glad you asked this - I run 3 times a week, 2 aerobics classes, legs bums and tums class and 2 aqua fit classes and although my saddlebags are getting smaller with weight loss, they're not in proportion to the rest of me at all! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    SQUATS!!!!! and you can do bowlers lunges- its where your in a lunge, but your back let goes off to the opposite side, sorta like your are doing a courtsey...hope that makes sense! if not, youtube, turbofire/ chalean extreme bowlers lunge! good luck!
  • missbaker89
    missbaker89 Posts: 245
    Options
    bump
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    That is my problem area too :( I have been told jogging/running helps as well as the typical inner and outer thigh strengthening exercises.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Lower your overall body fat percentage.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

This.

Exercising a specific area won't make the fat disappear from said area.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping an eye on this one!
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say hun, you can't actually spot reduce. It has to be an all over BF% loss. Squats and lunges are good to help gain muscle in your legs, but you will probably always have a little bit of saddlebag going on. I know. I have them too. :( They suck!!! But, one thing that has helped me....Jillian Michaels Killer Buns and Thighs DVD. It'll help you tone, but again, you cannot spot reduce. :(

PS. TOO much cardio will actually cause you to burn some of the MUSCLE that you already have. Strength training would be better.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    As others have hinted. You can certain increase the strength of certain muscles groups, but fat comes off where it comes off. 114 sounds tiny, but you will likely have to descrease your bodyfat percentage overall and those "Saddlesbags" will decrease as well.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

This is true but you will have the same shape in a smaller version. That's me! Wide hips, skinny legs. I run a lot and have low body fat and it's still the last place on me to change shape.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

This.

Exercising a specific area won't make the fat disappear from said area.

You can't overcome your genetics. You can reduce total body fat and that will reduce the fat in your thighs as well as the rest of your body. Weightlifting helps! Aerobics only go so far, but adding more muscle also bumps your metabolism, and it makes you look AWESOME!
  • amymarie8709
    Options
    hey!
    i have saddlebags and don't know how to get rid of them. my weight is now 114lbs. i train cardio 4-6 times a week, and strength 2-3 times. does anyone have any suggestions for exercises i can do? it feels like the fat around my butt/thigh area just won't go away..!!
    Do you know your current BF%?
  • behealthyfitandhappy
    Options
    its around 13 % *
  • happinessforevercm
    Options
    bump
  • furbydaphneoscar
    furbydaphneoscar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Callanetics (a barre type exercise) has several exercises that specifically target saddlebags.
  • amymarie8709
    Options
    its around 13 % *

That's a good BF%. I wouldn't go any lower than that. Healthy for women is between about 13or 15% to about 25% depending on your build. Considering you're already very small it might just be genetics. Definitely try the exercises that everyone posted though. :) Good luck and let us know how it works. Maybe take before and after pics for your personal reference.
  • MMarie25
    MMarie25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am glad i came across this, I started tony hortons 10 min trainer in 2009, i was at 5'7 at about 155lbs, i am now at 5'7, at 120
    I have gained muscle got alot smaller, but still, have cellulite anf those saddlebags, not as bad but help
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as target spot reducing. Yes certain exercises work certain muscles, Some will lengthen, others will strengthen, but you can't spot reduce body fat. Cellulite is fat, you have to improve (reduce) your over all body fat percentage and build muscle. Squats, lunges and other similar exercises will help. I have the same issue and at 60, my focus is building leg muscle to reshape my entire lower body to reduce the appearance by building strong leg muscles.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I've had great results on that area with lower body workouts that use a band: Turbo Jam Booty Sculpt and Turbo Jam Lower Body Jam. You can get the DVDs used on Amazon for a nice price.
  • Caitable
    Caitable Posts: 14
    Options
    While there is no such thing as spot reduction if you are eating well and losing wt but still having issues with this area adding wt training to you routine is the way to go. Many people think of weight training and picture a lot of upper body exercises and neglect the lower half. I know I was the same way! I recently really started focusing on my lower half, its the part I am most unhappy with anyway.

Squats, Squats, Squats and more Squats. Do variations of these to keep it from getting boring, start with body wt, add dumbbells as you go along. My favorites are Prisoner Squats, Dumbbell Shoulder Press Squats and Squats using a medicine ball.

Lunges! Curtsey lunges, side lunges, stationary lunges, walking lunges all of the work that area but target different heads of the muscle.

Deadlifts. Many women hear deadlifts and think of some huge guy with a huge amount of weight. Google Stationary Dumbbell Deadlifts for women you'll probably get a million videos.

Step ups and what I like to call taps. Step ups you use a weight bench (use dumbbells if body weight is too easy) Step up with one foot then the other, then step down with the lead foot. Repeat then switch lead feet. Taps use a smaller step place one foot on the step and bend your knee slightly. Move your weight onto the leg on the step. Put your arms up infront of you and then lift the knee of the foot on the ground toward your chest while pulling your arms down too. Return to original position. The trick is to keep all your weight on the leg on the step, and just tap your back foot on the ground rapidly.

You should always do at least 3 sets. I don't like to have a set number of reps per set but at least ten. If you get to ten and can crank out 5 more DO it. Do it until you feel like if you do one more you are going to collapse. Its the ones you crank out when you are tired that are going to make the difference!