struggling to lose the last 5lbs

Options
I am absolutely struggling to lose the last few pounds. Honestly, I don't care about the number on the scale, I just need to lose my belly and inner thigh flab. I'm 22, 4'11" and 115lbs. I'm consuming around1200kcal/day and working out 6 days a week doing the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, so I'm incorporating both strength/resistance and cardio. I am eating back some of my exercise calories to make sure I'm consuming at least 1200. Despite this I have been stuck at 115lbs and my measurements aren't really changing. I'm wondering if increasing my calories will help or not. I'm drinking tons of water, about 11-13 glasses a day and nothing is happening. I'm doing my best to stay focused, but it's tough. I know losing the last bit of the weight is the hardest, I would really appreciate it if someone had any advice.

Replies

• speedmuffin
    speedmuffin Posts: 21
    Options
    I suppose it could be possible that it's water weight? I'm having the same issue--same weight and everything, except I just got injured from running and can no longer exercise. It could be the types of foods you are eating also. I think that's what my problem is, because right now I'm eating under 1,200 and still not losing weight. I think I may be eating too much sugar, protein, or fat which converts to body fat. Maybe take a look at that, because it might not be the amount of calories.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Calories are too low!
  • SimonIsChanging
    SimonIsChanging Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE! Damn i started losing fat at 1400 then hit plateau at 1500 intake. now i'm on 2500+ and leaning out more than ever!!
  • ChristinaWgettingfit
    Options
    I'm assuming that I need to eat more, but I don't know how much to increase my calories. I don't want to gain weight obviously.

Also I don't think it's water weight because I do consume a larger amount of water a day, but then again I don't know.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Im 5'2...132lbs..Ive been struggling to get to 129 for WEEKS! But Im working on it! I run 20-25 miles a week(3-4 days)..and strength train 2 days a week. I eat 1200 cals plus half exercise cals. upping calories scares me before hitting maintenance.
  • BethanyJuneHamby
    BethanyJuneHamby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the last 5 lbs, but I know that I lost 10 lbs in a matter of 2 weeks by eating 1350 calories a day. I'm 5'3" and currently 138 lbs. I am working on getting back on my diet, but the things that seemed to take the weight off of me quick were small steps like replacing sugar on my strawberries with a little honey, putting some golden raisins in my tuna(rather than making it into a sandwich), and replacing my normal side items at restaurants with broccoli. Apples are also a miracle food once you get into the habit of having one every day. Not sure if that helps at all!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Consuming more water will prevent water retention, so you won't "gain" water weight from that, in fact you should lose water weight. You'll just pee a lot at first.

But I concur - try eating a little more. Also check your fats/proteins/carbs and make sure you are eating them in balance.

As to how much more, what does the site recommend when you complete the goal-setting and set it at 1/2 pound a week? Eat that, plus most of your exercise calories.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Up those calories by 200-400. I was scared too..Do it!
  • ChristinaWgettingfit
    Options
    Consuming more water will prevent water retention, so you won't "gain" water weight from that, in fact you should lose water weight. You'll just pee a lot at first.

But I concur - try eating a little more. Also check your fats/proteins/carbs and make sure you are eating them in balance.

As to how much more, what does the site recommend when you complete the goal-setting and set it at 1/2 pound a week? Eat that, plus most of your exercise calories.

So I changed it from the 1lb which is "recommended" to the 1/2lb and it said 1350calories. How much do you think is best to eat back? That's where I get confused. I'm heard to eat back enought to make sure you're at least eating your BMR in order to not enter into starvation mode. Also I'm not exactly sure what my BMR is. MFP says something around 1180ish and a few others say around 1300 - I don't know what to go by...
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at loosing my last 5 for about a month and everyone told me to eat more, eat more EAT MORE. Didnt work. BUT I think it re-set my metabolism because now I went back down to 1200 (non work out days) and 1350 (work out days) and I am slowly loosing again (after gaining back 2 lbs). I was told to not eat back my work out cals except maybe a few hundred by health and welness after I did the bod pod. Eat back a little more once you start lifting. You need cals to gain muscle, not much to loose fat. Good luck! Tell me what works for you once you figure it out :laugh:
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and 115lbs. when I joined MFP i was about 121lbs and lost the first 5lbs relatively easily, but then I was stuck on 116lbs for about two months. With the encouragement of my friends on here who eat 1600-1800 cals/day and still loose weight I upped my calories to 1400 (and ate back my exercise calories). within 2 weeks I lost a pound! I too have 5 more pounds left to go so feel free to add me if you want! I'm sure we can encourage each other along :)
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options

So I changed it from the 1lb which is "recommended" to the 1/2lb and it said 1350calories. How much do you think is best to eat back? That's where I get confused. I'm heard to eat back enought to make sure you're at least eating your BMR in order to not enter into starvation mode. Also I'm not exactly sure what my BMR is. MFP says something around 1180ish and a few others say around 1300 - I don't know what to go by...

MFP says my BMR is like 1300ish but it depends on your body fat. I went and got mine done (MFP or a site calculator CANNOT tell you how much body fat you have) and based off of that it was like 1185 and I am 5'6''.5. Go to the gym or doctor and ask for your body fat then go to http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ and you can figure it out from that.
  • ChristinaWgettingfit
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and 115lbs. when I joined MFP i was about 121lbs and lost the first 5lbs relatively easily, but then I was stuck on 116lbs for about two months. With the encouragement of my friends on here who eat 1600-1800 cals/day and still loose weight I upped my calories to 1400 (and ate back my exercise calories). within 2 weeks I lost a pound! I too have 5 more pounds left to go so feel free to add me if you want! I'm sure we can encourage each other along :)

That is so me! I started at 125 and lost those first 10lbs in 3 months no problem and now I'm struggling. I'm definitely going to increase my calories to probably around 1350-1400calories. I'm definitely going to add you. I love a lot of my MFP friends, but they all have larger amounts to lose so it's nice to have someone with closely related goals.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

You can play around on there to find your BMR and body fat %.
    I was stuck too. I wanted to lose my tummy fat. I tried eating more and gained weight. I gained eating at the .5lb a week calories plus my exercise calories. I figured about what my TDEE is and now eat one set amount each day whether I workout or not. This is my 2nd week and I have lost a pound, but more importantly, I look better in the mirror. I also just started heavy lifting.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Opps sorry I wasnt clear. My TDEE is about 2000 so if I eat 1500 calories a day I should start losing about one pound a week. I dont need to lose that fast so I am eating 1700 calories a day no matter how much or little I workout.
  • ChristinaWgettingfit
    Options
    Opps sorry I wasnt clear. My TDEE is about 2000 so if I eat 1500 calories a day I should start losing about one pound a week. I dont need to lose that fast so I am eating 1700 calories a day no matter how much or little I workout.
    Yeah, I need to keep better track of my TDEE and do the math to make sure I am on my goal