that's why it is NOT only about kcals intake

Options
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yo3TRbkIrow

that's an amazing, very helpful and CLEAR explanation I'd like to share with you.
Kcals matter.
Carbs intake and insuline response matter AS WELL!

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    If its on youtube it must be true
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If its on youtube it must be true
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    19963268.jpg
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I quit watching as soon as I saw Lustig.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    This is a common problem OP, it's big picture stuff versus small picture stuff.

In the grand scheme of things - like if you did a pie chart of "what makes a human being lose weight?" - the biggest slice - maybe 99% of it even - would be "caloric deficit"

Certainly there is that other slice - 1% - but it's not just carb/insulin response. If you want to get into all those weeds about the human metabolism then you'd be looking into leptin, cortisol, ghrelin, thyroid hormone, and a bucketload of other factors too. So many, you could practically spend your entire career puzzling over them.

But while you focus on all that - you tend to forget about the 99% slice - cal deficit. That's why we tend to say that's all that matters for weight loss.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Captain Tightpants is very wise and hit the nail on the head with that post.
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    I quit watching as soon as I saw Lustig.

Yep. OP should go read alan aragon's blog... and learn the nuances of broscience.
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, I am not here to talk about my job, but it involves prescribing diets, it's clear that I didn't get my degree studying on you tube.

Anyway.

He is right about the facts, even though I do not know him here in Italy.

Apart from youtube, apart from the chap himself, can you deny the facts?

Just in case, I would be happy to start a biochemistry conversation here on mfp, I usually don't because I assume that's the wrong place and I would be boring. That's why youtube helps.

But again, can you deny the facts here about insuline and hormones role beyond the kcals issue?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1679_0f82.gif
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    tl;dw
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    1679_0f82.gif

Oh, so cute!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, I am not here to talk about my job, but it involves prescribing diets, it's clear that I didn't get my degree studying on you tube.

Anyway.

Just in case, I would be happy to start a biochemistry conversation here on mfp, I usually don't because I assume that's the wrong place and I would be boring. That's why youtube helps.

But again, can you deny the facts here about insuline and hormones role beyond the kcals issue?

* INSULIN (no e)

degree, huh?
  • diletta24
    Options

Certainly there is that other slice - 1% - but it's not just carb/insulin response. If you want to get into all those weeds about the human metabolism then you'd be looking into leptin, cortisol, ghrelin, thyroid hormone, and a bucketload of other factors too. So many, you could practically spend your entire career puzzling over them.

But while you focus on all that - you tend to forget about the 99% slice - cal deficit. That's why we tend to say that's all that matters for weight loss.

This 99% - 1% is not a right proportion at all.

You are perfectly right: it is not just insuline, hormons works in a wires and feedbacks. Nevertheless: if you have a look at lifestyle related disease prevalences, it is the insuline resistance/pre diabetes/ diabetes that plays the "99%" roles. Thereby, major role of insuline here it's clear.

You mentioned other hormones, cortisol and GH in particular.
    I saw plenty of people eating on a dramatic (unhealthy) Kcal deficit. They lost weight as well. Mostly lean mass, very often with the skinny-fat body and still abdominal fat regardless a normal BMI.
    Why if they hypocaloric? Because starvations leads to cortisol increase. Cortisol is diabetogen, which means insuline resistence again. Insuline resistence, which will kills your effort even if you eat only 300 kcal ...in carbohydrates.

Kcals deficit is necessary because of energy laws. Kcal deficit based on unbalanced/carbs rich plans is the worst than not dieting at all, since you'll lose, but NOT fat. It depends on what you want of course, but there's no point in a mere scale/number goal I think.
  • diletta24
    Options

Anyway.

* INSULIN (no e)

degree, huh?

I am Italian.
    if this is the only mistake you found in my post, I am extremely happy with myself.
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Anyway.

* INSULIN (no e)

degree, huh?

In Italy, I doubt the universities teach biochemistry in English. Just a thought.

Edit: synchroposted with the OP. Oops.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    1679_0f82.gif

Oh, so cute!

This is so adorable!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    1679_0f82.gif

I love this pic.