Protein Powder?

Options
xPOOKiEx
xPOOKiEx Posts: 156 Member
So my fiance and I are working out together a lot and we both want a protein powder to add to our diet so we can repair our muscles after a run and get more toned.

We were looking at frys...we want a somewhat cheap one that works well...for both of us.

I know we can probably find a better one at GNC or Nutirshop (which I have a card to)

We both wanna be healthier and look good...and I think adding in a little more protein will be great for us. We just want a good quality brand that WORKS and he can add it to water or milk...and I can add it to my smoothies :)

Replies

• xPOOKiEx
    xPOOKiEx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Is it better to get whey protein??
  • MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You need to purchas 100% Whey Isolate Protein. It is a bit pricey, but it is what you want for tone and repair. My nutritionist recommends that. My favorite is from Target it is Market Pantry Whey Protein powder. But I am currently using Jillian Michael's brand. I had a better deal on price at Sam's Club.

I will ask my nutritionist for more brands. There is also one called About Time and it is good, too. They have more flavor choices, cinnamon buns, banana, etc.
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    They're all pretty much the same, it's only the rate of absorption.

Whey has the fastest absorption rate, whereas casein has the longest. There are also blends that put these together, so you get the benefits of both. Decide what you want, based on that.

Also, GNC is one of the WORST places to buy supplements. WAY, WAY overpriced. Go browse online and you will find that GNC usually tacks on $10-30 more on most products.
  • kimboyle92
    kimboyle92 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use GNC's wheybolic extreme 60 in vanilla and mix one scoop with V-8 fusions for my vege and fruit servings. It's low carb and cals but high in protein. and it's yummy!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    yes, i'd go with whey for after your workout. if you have enough calories left, try a casein shake before bed too, for recovery (it is slow release). i have the 100% casein chocolate one with milk microwaved - better than hot choc :D
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    So my fiance and I are working out together a lot and we both want a protein powder to add to our diet so we can repair our muscles after a run and get more toned.

no kind of protein, whey or any other type, is going to help you get more toned. If your exercise is primarily running, and you are trying to lose weight, protein is ok to help fill calories and help with hunger. If you arent lifting weights, you should be able to get enough protein with food (salmon, tuna, tilapia, steak, etc)

good luck
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    Isolate protein is great for building muscle. But if you are looking for a Meal Replacement Protein. Then any whey will do just check the label to see what it has in it. I would definitely go with Isolate after a workout, it goes to your muscles faster than whey. Whey Protein you will just burn off before your body can absorb it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein you will just burn off before your body can absorb it.

WHAT? do you have any source that confirms your statement?
  • BigRich822
    Options
    whey protein isolate is processed with fat and lactose removed and therefore is 90%+ protein by weight.
  • BigRich822
    Options
    Google it, dont have time to list all the facts.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options

no kind of protein, whey or any other type, is going to help you get more toned. If your exercise is primarily running, and you are trying to lose weight, protein is ok to help fill calories and help with hunger. If you arent lifting weights, you should be able to get enough protein with food (salmon, tuna, tilapia, steak, etc)

good luck

This. Protein powders are not necessary if you can get your protein from other sources (if that's what you desire).
  • chestnut12
    chestnut12 Posts: 8
    Options
    VegaSport is 100% plant based, I've never tried the sport one but I have had the Vega Nutritional Vanilla Chai Shake and its awesome.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

good luck

This. Protein powders are not necessary if you can get your protein from other sources (if that's what you desire).

yes, but powders are an easy way to get a higher amount of protein for the least amount of calories.

I can have 1 scoop of Now Foods Whey Protein Isolate Unflavored mixed in water for 105 calories. 25g protein
    OR
    1 Trident Wild Alaskan Salmon Patty for 170 calories and only 20g of protein

I usually mix my powder in nonfat Greek yogurt, 255 calories and 48g protein. Can't get that much protein in food for that amount of calories.