Which running program...

Options
So I used to run before I had a car wreck and illness about three years ago. I finally am over pnuemonia, and I am dying to get back into it. I have started going out three times a week, averaging about a 14 minute mile. It's not great, but considering that three years ago I would have been happy with a 17 minute mile, I am content.

I usually go out about 3 times a week, doing about 3 miles (actually 5km) at a time. I want to improve my time with one of the Nike+ programs, but I don't know which to pick. I am having no problem getting to 5k, so I don't really want to do the walk to run program that is only 1.5 km on day one.

Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• FleekTastic
    FleekTastic Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Im doing c25k now. I am only in week 1 - but it seems manageable and I even have a 9 year old partner. :)
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5k is awesome!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I am part of a 5km clinic out of the running room. The most we run is 6.5km...and we run at a 10:1 ratio (run for 10, walk for 1, etc).

We run 3x per week with an optional 4th run. Each run we alternate between 4.5km-6.5km. We also incorporate Hill & Speed Training.

I like the clinic because I would never run on my own otherwise! LOL I like being part of a group.

They also have the 10km group if you are looking for something more advanced.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    just go run-if you are not training for a race-you don't need a "program". Slowly increase your distance.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you want to run faster, you have to run longer. Take one of those 5K runs and start to creep it up. 6K for a couple weeks, 7K for a couple weeks. Do that for a while, then add another day. Continue to build mileage so that you have a good base. Then, your fitness will improve and you will become faster as your body gets more efficient. Then, after building a good base of 6 months to a year, your body will be ready to handle some different variations of speed work, consisting of tempo runs, intervals, strides and an LSD run (Long, Slow, Distance).
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi! So it sounds like you're running 5k now, but you want to run it quicker? I don't know if any of the programs do that, I've been looking into doing the same and it looks like maybe working intervals and tempo runs into your routines would be the next step. I'll check back to see if others recommend programs that help you with this, but most research I've seen suggests this is the route to take - Good luck! You are inspiring, with all you've been through! :)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    There are several programs that are a "bridge" from C25K to 10K

Here is one I found that does not have walking intervals.. designed for people who can already run 3 miles.

http://www.fleetfeetgaithersburg.com/training_programs/beyond-boundaries-10k-training-programs
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    just go run-if you are not training for a race-you don't need a "program". Slowly increase your distance.

Appreciate the advice, but I am one who likes to be held accountable, and I would like to be doing races again in the next six months. :)
  • Zombierawr
    Options
    If you want to run faster, you have to run longer. Take one of those 5K runs and start to creep it up. 6K for a couple weeks, 7K for a couple weeks. Do that for a while, then add another day. Continue to build mileage so that you have a good base. Then, your fitness will improve and you will become faster as your body gets more efficient. Then, after building a good base of 6 months to a year, your body will be ready to handle some different variations of speed work, consisting of tempo runs, intervals, strides and an LSD run (Long, Slow, Distance).

Thank you for the advice! I think this might be what I do-- I don't really feel like there is a program tailored to what I really want!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Slowly increase your distance to build endurance and fitness, do intervals/repeats/fartleks, and weight lifting.
  • Zombierawr
    Options
    Hi! So it sounds like you're running 5k now, but you want to run it quicker? I don't know if any of the programs do that, I've been looking into doing the same and it looks like maybe working intervals and tempo runs into your routines would be the next step. I'll check back to see if others recommend programs that help you with this, but most research I've seen suggests this is the route to take - Good luck! You are inspiring, with all you've been through! :)

Aww thank you! I hope you are finding what you need too. :)