• hof79
    hof79 Posts: 6
    Options
    "good" or "net" carbs are better
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "good" or "net" carbs are better

net carbs doesn't work in the UK or Europe, our labels tell us carbohydrates and fibre separately.
  • wifeyplus6
    wifeyplus6 Posts: 28
    Options
    depends upon your reason. I have a medical issue so i do low carb, per dr.'s orders. If I didn't have a medical reason I would say, it's up to you,but most certainly there are easier ways to go about this.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Depends. :wink:
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    it's up to you,but most certainly there are easier ways to go about this.

This. The most important thing is hitting your necessary protein and fat requirements (Roughly 1g/lb of lean body mass for protein and .5g/lb of lean body mass for fat). After you meet those minimums, you can eat whatever you want.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Low carb diet... Yes or no? :huh:

Your choice.

If you decide to go low-carb, do some research. The nutrient load for a "balanced" diet (APPROX half carbs, 1/3 protein, rest fat) are well-covered on this site and are sorta the "de facto" healthy American diet. So all the multivitamins, nutrition information labels, etc are all sorta tuned for that diet.

That is not in any way saying that is the only healthy way you can eat - the human body is an amazing machine and you can retune it to run on incredible variances of food balances. But you'll have to spend a little time learning HOW to eat low-carb.

Just cutting out most of your carbs is bad. Reducing carbs severely while adding the nutrients you need to support something like, say, ketosis is a perfectly acceptable alternative way to eat.

Just research it, decide if it's for you, and do it correctly. You can tune the tools on this site to support a low-carb diet.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    no