Update on middle school lunch detention and the bully

Options
RachelsReboot
RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/584147-moms-of-middle-school-high-school-kids-am-i-over-reacting this was the original thread

Sorry my update turned into a small book

I went to the school and talked with the teacher. He is a really young guy and this is his first year teaching. He got really pissed off really quick and was kind of rude but he insisted that the other kid did not call my son a name and told me that he had already moved them to opposite sides of the room because they were having problems a few days prior. He insisted that the "witness' stated that the other kid was minding his own business and my son just came up and called him an idiot. I looked at the teacher and I said, Ok I am going to assume that your about 25 years old or so, so it's not been to terribly long since you were out of school and you are also old enough to know how teenagers will defend their friends no matter what. (that made him turn beet red and I swear steam was coming out of his ears) I then asked where the "witness" was when all this took place and was told 2 rows over and 5 seats down. (oh let me add that this took place by my sons desk, not the other side of the room where the other kid was supposed to be) After learning that, I said well I know boys well enough to know that the "witness" didn't hear anything and if you ask him right now what took place he won't have any answers for you, so you maybe you are just not willing to punish the coaches son. At this point the teacher became furious, told me I was being rude and combative and said he was done talking, the punishment would stand . Now, I know my son is not an angel but he then proceeded to tell me that my son had picked on this kid all year, turned and walked away.

These boys have gone to school together for 7 years now, and I know for a FACT that the other kid has had detention and in school suspension on several occasions for picking on other kids. My son on the other hand has had detention 3 times now in 7 years (all from this teacher) and never been in any other trouble and has gotten outstanding citizenship awards every semester. Hmmm seems a little strange but ok, he's the one there with them every day, so I can't argue, I don't know what goes on in his classroom.

I stayed and talked to the counselor, who knows my son, he was her student aide last year. She was shocked to hear that my son was the instigator and that the other child did nothing. When I told her what was going on her response was "I know your son, he is an awesome kid, we got to know each other very well last year and I talk to him almost daily here, he always has a smile on his face, never has anything bad to say and helps at lunch with the special needs kids. I know the other boy too, he's been sent to my office many times" She told me she would question the other kids and get back to me and that if I wanted to leave my son some money for his field trip, it would probably be a good idea (meaning she was going to make sure he went)

She called me back later, 5 other witnesses who sat in the seats around my son said that the other kid did come over to his desk and call him a *kitten* and "pushed him into his seat" (my son didn't tell me that part) , they said my son stood back up, got in his face and said "you're an idiot" and walked out of the classroom. My sons detention stands for calling the kid an idiot and leaving the classroom but the other kid got 3 days of ISS (in school suspension). I'm pissed that this kid pushed him and he didn't tell me, and I am pissed that kids get away with doing stuff like this all the time! My son is a good kid but because he is good, happy and helpful, the other kids treat him like he is a wimp and he doesn't want to get in trouble for fighting back but he has to be able to defend himself because teachers like this are showing that they won't.

Replies

• Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry the teacher is such an *kitten*. On behalf of all teachers' I apologize for his behavior. I wish I were your son's teacher. I promise you I do not put up with bullying of any kind in my classroom. I'm glad you got someone to listen to you. And I'm sorry your son is being picked on : (
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    we went through this last year with my 8 yr old daughter ( yes that is 8) she was being beaten up and totured by 2 other students I witnessed it first hand and had no less then 3 other children witness and come to me. the teacher wouldn't do anything and I am sad to say neither did the school board or superintendent , in the end we had to press charges and file a police report for a full investigation for the school to finally own up to the bullise. Hugs to you as a momma. I know how hard this is.
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The suspension stands but will he get to go on his year end field trip?
  • LisaF1163
    LisaF1163 Posts: 141
    Options
    Now, see how that turned out? You did good! You fought for your son, and you dug around with the help of the counselor and you got results! And yes, you are right - you aren't there with them, you don't see what's going on all day, so you don't really know what went down. But five witnesses who can back your son up and aren't afraid of a bully and his buddy - that goes a long way in jr. high. Nice job, hon!
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    The suspension stands but will he get to go on his year end field trip?

Oh sorry, yes he got to go and his detention was just moved to another day
  • superstankazz
    superstankazz Posts: 193
    Options
    I'm so glad that other boy got ISS!!! He rightfully deserved it too! That smug teacher needed put in his place!
  • mrshayes1584
    Options
    While the end result was not perfect I say WAY TO GO! You helped your son see that although it may be easier to just let the bully get away with it that people who mistreat you should be held accountable.
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am glad that you got the ball rolling, but you really need to stay on top of this. First you should put in a formal complaint against this teacher and cite the shoddy 'investigation' and what the councilor said. You should also request that your son be transferred to a new teacher..honestly it makes me wonder if this teacher has been giving your son unjust punishment before. I would still be upset, ISS is nothing when this kid has been in trouble multiple times. Schools are supposed to have a zero tolerance for bullying and it is obvious this kid is not going to stop.