Looking for Low-Sugar Vegetarian Protein Options

Options
jnerdin
jnerdin Posts: 39 Member
I'm looking for a good sugarless source of vegetarian protein. I'm new to MFP and although I've been a vegetarian for about four years, I am now learning (or confirming my previous fear) that I don't get nearly enough protein in my diet. I've been scanning the refrigerator looking for foods with a lot of protein. So far, I've found eggs, yogurt, milk, cheese and peanut butter, but after eating all I can for two meals, I've still only downed 50g of protein. I'm also finding that many of the high-protein options (such as peanut butter, yogurt, protein bars and shakes, and even milk) are high in sugar. I'm already over my sugar limit after only two small meals. I'm trying to lose weight while building muscle mass through focused upper body strength training, so it important that I at least meet my daily goal of 131g of protein. Any good ideas? Thanks.

Replies

• judge51182
    judge51182 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    quinoa quinoa and more quinoa...it is a whole grain and a perfect protein...known as a super food!!!
  • jnerdin
    jnerdin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    And quinoa is good. I'll have to buy more. I've never paid that much attention to how much protein it had. Obviously, I haven't been the most diligent vegetarian. Thanks.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    Textured vegetable protein. This stuff is freaking amazing, and I'm not even vegetarian.
  • judge51182
    judge51182 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is very good and there are some really great recipes online. Make sure you soak and wash the quinoa before hand if the box doesnt say its pre-wash as the quinoa won't tast right and will have kind of a grose taste :0)
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Beans! I especially like garbanzos and black beans.

Also, look for peanut butter that is 100% peanuts with no sugar or other stuff added. You have to stir it up and refrigerate it, but I think it tastes better.

Also, if you are not already eating Greek yogurt, you may want to check it out - it's higher protein than other yogurts. To avoid added sugars, I buy plain, no-sugar-added Greek yogurt and add my own fruit and/or a splash of vanilla extract.