You want to give up because...

Options
You were losing weight by eating less . 1200 calories daily and exercising more. (remember, you are at a greater deficit if you are exercising regularly). Your weight loss has stopped, you don't know why and you are about to give up.

I've seen many post regarding this and many who have offered good advice.

Please watch this video. I hope it helps anyone who is facing this situation which I also experienced at one time.

Remember, you must know your BMR and ensure you are eating enough each day to keep your body working properly.

TIP: Use the Reports / Nutrition Graph daily. If you are logging correctly (and using a HR monitor to get a better estimate on calories burned daily and logging that). ....if you see that Nutrition graph slip below 1200 or your BMR.... you are not eating enough. sometimes I squeeze in a Protein Shake later in the evening just to get my macros in and get that graph above the 1200 line and as close to my BMR as possible. As you lose weight, your BMR also changes.. it drops slightly. So you have to remember to recalculate after you lose about 10lbs to ensure you are eating the correct amount each day. Don't be rigid, but keep it close...it's an estimate only, but it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZaZniN-cpE&feature=relmfu

I am currently losing .5 to 1 lb weekly. Some weeks I stay the same, but because I know I am doing the right thing. Cardio, Weights and eating enough calories (energy) to keep my body working, I feel great and I know I can maintain this new way of life for good. I also know that muscle is denser than fat so as I increase my strength training my body is getting fitter/tighter since the denser muscle is taking up less room in my body.

My total weight loss since I began eating healthy a long time ago is 35.5 ..... I began logging again in January when I regained some weight last year ( I wasn't eating enough because I had no clue what BMR was) and I am now down 17 lbs so far, which brought my total to the 35.5.

Start weight years ago: 218.5
Current Weight: 183
Goal: 140ish
Female: 48 years old, 5'6"
Maybe one day, I'll post a photo.

Good luck to all.

Replies

• Fergie2154
    Fergie2154 Posts: 59
    Options
    bump... no one responded. :(

If you don't want to read it's ok, I know it was a bit long..... just scroll and go to the video I suggested. Hope it helps someone.
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I read and thank you for posting this!
  • Fergie2154
    Options
    I read and thank you for posting this!

You're welcome and thanks for taking the time to read my note. :)
  • mollyquewl
    mollyquewl Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for posting your note and the link to the video. I was following along just fine up until about the 5:10 mark when they say that the treadmill and elliptical can actually slow down your metabolism and cause you to lose lean muscle mass...???!!!

I would like to know what the reasoning is behind that statement.

Great job on your weight loss!
  • Fergie2154
    Options
    Thanks for posting your note and the link to the video. I was following along just fine up until about the 5:10 mark when they say that the treadmill and elliptical can actually slow down your metabolism and cause you to lose lean muscle mass...???!!!

Thanks. I do the elliptical all the time (30 to 60 minutes tops). (30-45 if I am doing weights that day) There was a time when I did all Elliptical and not much weights. I lost but then I stalled. I would sometimes over do it .. 90min or more thinking I would lose more but it didn't work. I think that might be their theory...

They are not perfect, but I have seen some of their other videos and their workouts are pretty good and I thought the information they shared would help some who don't understand why they are exercising eating less and stop losing.... they presented the info in a way that I thought was understandable.. with funny drawings. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

It's the broscience misinterpretation of your body becoming more efficient, just because it takes fewer calories to run a given distance doesn't mean your metabolism has slowed down it means your cardiovascular system is fitter.
  • mollyquewl
    Options

Thanks. I do the elliptical all the time (30 to 60 minutes tops). (30-45 if I am doing weights that day) There was a time when I did all Elliptical and not much weights. I lost but then I stalled. I would sometimes over do it .. 90min or more thinking I would lose more but it didn't work. I think that might be their theory...

They are not perfect, but I have seen some of their other videos and their workouts are pretty good and I thought the information they shared would help some who don't understand why they are exercising eating less and stop losing.... they presented the info in a way that I thought was understandable.. with funny drawings. :)

I thought they gave good advice overall and I understand the importance of varying your exercises. Again, thank you for sharing. I hope some others on the site who have the question about plateaus and calories in-and-out take the time to watch at least the first 5 minutes of it.
  • mollyquewl
    Options
    It's the broscience misinterpretation of your body becoming more efficient, just because it takes fewer calories to run a given distance doesn't mean your metabolism has slowed down it means your cardiovascular system is fitter.

Ah ha! Now that's an explanation I can live with :smile: