Ladies Only--Period weight gain

Options
Last week, I weighed 241. I have continued to eat under my calorie goal and exercised all week, but yesterday, I weighed in at 244. It was very discouraging. However, I think I may be pre-mentrual. I have the Mirena IUD, so I haven't had a period in months, but it seems like I still get the symptoms of a period every month. I have mild stomach discomfort, clear discharge, and fatigue. Can you still get PMS symptoms with no period while on Mirena. I'm hoping it's just water retention and in a few days I will lose it all and then some. Anyone else have experience with this??

Replies

• jenngi620
    jenngi620 Posts: 51
    Options
    bump. Also on Mirena and having issues. Very interested in others' answers.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I usually gained atleast 3-5lbs when my period is coming. I get so bloated, I feel like a huge tick or something. I'm not on mirena tho, just the pill.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    oh, and I used to be on mirena tho right after I had my daughter, and I would still spot every month and have symptoms. TMI? sorry if it is
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I always gain a bit of weight when I'm due on its usually worse upto 2 weeks with bloating so I always avoid weighing or measuring until the week after everything has settled down.
  • BonMetz
    BonMetz Posts: 102
    Options
    I always gain at least 2-3 pounds during my period and during ovulation!
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I know when it is T.o.M. I tend to eat alot of salt. Making me retain a crap load of water. But if you monitor that it won't be so bad. But unfortunatley we all go through that lil annoying weight gain each month.
  • tiffanic83
    tiffanic83 Posts: 64
    Options
    I've gained up to ten lbs before during or right b4... I wouldn't worry about it. I would just check the weight again when your menstrals over.
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    I gain up to five lbs in the week before and for a couple days after so don't sweat it.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I've gained up to ten lbs before during or right b4... I wouldn't worry about it. I would just check the weight again when your menstrals over.

I do worry about this now since it seems going up faster than coming back down after the period...I need to watch it carefully now.
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm on seasonale so I only get a period every 3 months, but I still get all the other symptoms of pms including the dreaded bloating ever month. I try to stay on track but I don't weigh in that week. It's too discouraging for me...especially when I am already feeling extra sensitive.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was on Mirena for a couple of years....hated it! Yes,I had PMS symptoms each month too. I had it taken out. Too many bad side effects for me, and they continued for awhile after too.
  • MystiqueASAP
    MystiqueASAP Posts: 747
    Options
    It's probably just water weight gain and bloat due to hormones. Weigh yourself after you go off.
  • AmandaLAcosta
    Options
    I had the Merina for almost a yr. Nothing but problems with water retention from it. Had it removed and lost all the water weight and was easier for me to lose weight after that. I feel that for me it stalled my weight loss. I think 2lbs weight gain before your cycle is normal but anything over 5-10lbs would be worrying.

Good luck
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate 3lbs all of the time.

I am not on Merena because I read one of the side effects is weight gain.

So, I would not worry about it right now, but if the scales keeps climbing and you know that it should not...could be Merena.
  • PottyMrs
    PottyMrs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have nexplanon inserted so I don't see a period either yet I still get the symptoms, on which is bloating and water retention, looking thru my weight log I seem to have a gain of 2 to 3lbs every last/first week of the month! It's a bit of a pain really as sometimes it feels I'm 2 steps forward then 1 step back all the time, the weights coming off, but thanks to this it's taking longer than most for me to lose!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    It's just water ladies. Don't stress over it.

I am on Mirena and my weight gain came from eating over my maintenance calories and being lazy.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was never on Mirena, but I was on the Depo shot (gained 30lbs with it!!! D:) that had similar effects. Stopped my period and I would still get all the symptoms and mood swings as if I were still going to start. :(
    I would/and still do gain about 5lbs around that "time" every month. So, I just try to drink extra water and stay active. Then, when it's over I "feel" amazing because "I'VE LOST ALL THIS WEIGHT!!!!" LOL. It's all in my head. I know!
  • Crisark
    Crisark Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I was on Mirena I still had all my symptoms of a period without having one.
    Also, even now with it removed I still gain between 3 to 5lbs before my period comes.
    Comes right off though.
  • TheNewMe2323
    TheNewMe2323 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    LOL!! I feel extra blahhh on my cycle maybe I should wait till after Im done with it to chck that weight of mines :)