I'm Mad

Options
Well i have been trying to do things right this time last time i lost weight i was loosing 4-6 pounds a week, eating 1100-1300 calories and running 3-6 miles a day seven days a week. I realize i was starving my self and oer doing it. That was two years ago i started having panic attacks and gained 25 pounds i am finally feeling better and started dieting i am just mad *kitten* hell.

I been working out right and eating 1200-1500 calories i have gone from 198 to 189 but when i measure my waist i have only lost half and inch or less from my stomach! I realize that i wont reach my target weight lost before next Friday why have i not lost any inches of my waist when i am clearly loosing pounds?

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You are an 18 year old boy. I don't care how short you are. Eat more please, a lot more. Your muscles - they need it.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    You are an 18 year old boy. I don't care how short you are. Eat more please, a lot more. Your muscles - they need it.

How tall are you? You don't look exactly overweight in your possibly misleading pictures.

If so stop being just a runner and start lifting, turn that fuel into swole.

Also like ginger said, eat more, relax and take it in stride.
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your body will decide where you lose your fat from, so it may not necessarily be taking it from your waist. This is why you can't "spot reduce" fat on your body.
  • A318
    A318 Posts: 7
    Options
    I am 5'9 most of my weight went to my stomach my face miss out on the fat. I don't like weights always been a runner but i have incorporated some muscle training into my routine.
  • A318
    Options
    Picture is 3 days old.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 most of my weight went to my stomach my face miss out on the fat. I don't like weights always been a runner but i have incorporated some muscle training into my routine.

Even more reason to eat a lot more than 1200-1500 calories per day.

I am willing to bet that all of that running and eating at such a huge deficit caused some muscle loss. You can't spot reduce or choose where you will lose inches. You need more food than that. More weight lifting.
  • chris1816
    Options

Start doing compound, anabolic lifts like Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press etc along with your running. You will encourage fat burn and be able to eat more to fuel that growth.

Will do wonders for your well being and motivation brah.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I been working out right and eating 1200-1500 calories i have gone from 198 to 189 but when i measure my waist i have only lost half and inch or less from my stomach! I realize that i wont reach my target weight lost before next Friday why have i not lost any inches of my waist when i am clearly loosing pounds?

Because not all of the weight you've lost came from your waist? You can't spot reduce. Actually, a half inch off your waist sounds like good progress after a loss of only 9 pounds total. A lot of people have to lose a lot more than that before they see any noticeable improvement in whatever area of their anatomy they consider to be their "problem area."
  • A318
    Options
    I will mix it up more. My problem is that i am expecting to have the same results like last time when i lost weight fast i need to be more patient, And yes i think i did loose alot of muscle last time.
  • MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    Exactly, you need to be more patient. It will happen, I agree with what everyone is saying. Muscle burns fat, work on building muscle that will make you more lean ( a runners body)
  • chris1816
    Options
    I will mix it up more. My problem is that i am expecting to have the same results like last time when i lost weight fast i need to be more patient, And yes i think i did loose alot of muscle last time.

Don't expect to hulk out either man, my buddy I work and lift with runs often, nowhere near as often as you but at least a few 5ks a week.

He's gotten bigger but a lanky frame is a lanky frame. Find a good routine to start lifting with and you will feel much better. Like others have and will say just be patient, make part of your lifestyle and the rest will take care of itself.

I recommend starting here:

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) who is attributed with the magical 1200 minimum, established that the minimum calorie consumption for men to be able to supply all the necessary nutrients to your body is 1800 calories.

On top of the minimum you're a physically active growing boy, whose body has not filled out yet, and you are setting yourself up for damage. You still have several years of potential growing to do before you're set in your full manly body- don't shortchange yourself by obsessing over the scale.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm 33, about 17% body fat and I do a 3 to 5 km run every other day. I average 3000 calories a day..trust me you can eat more...
  • chris1816
    Options
    The ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) who is attributed with the magical 1200 minimum, established that the minimum calorie consumption for men to be able to supply all the necessary nutrients to your body is 1800 calories.

On top of the minimum you're a physically active growing boy, whose body has not filled out yet, and you are setting yourself up for damage. You still have several years of potential growing to do before you're set in your full manly body- don't shortchange yourself by obsessing over the scale.

Yeah I gotta remind myself you're a youngin still.

Stress less on losing weight, you have the active lifestyle in place already so just eat more good *kitten* and pick up heavy things and put them down again.
  • VictorW2
    VictorW2 Posts: 18
    Options
    These are all great ideas!
    Here are some simple tips.
    1- Drink lots of water. most people are dehydrated 2 to 3 L a day.
    2- eat about 6 times a day, this helps speed up your metabolism
    3- build muscle , it burns weight off faster
    4 eat plenty of fruits and veggies. This helps you eat more and weight less
    5 avoid the color beige: these foods tend to high in carbs and calories . Low in nutrition .
    6 Get the regular amount of sleep, you know what's best for you, recommended 8* hrs (too little and your body will retain or gain weight.)
    7 Exercise- 3-5 times a week , 30min a day. Preferably strength and some cardio.
    8 The body needs Protein- this helps you build and retain muscle, burn fat and keeps you from getting hungry !

And I also agree , your calorie intake is too low for your bodies needs. I know it sounds counter intuitive, your body needs #2 , not just 1500 calories. I am 45 and I still take in 2500-3000 calories and I am in the best shape of my life! Operation six pak bak !
  • A318
    Options
    Your telling me to eat more? What!!!! I will try it out but if it backfires I will be very angry!

Also more strength training it is........
  • chris1816
    Options
    These are all great ideas!
    Here are some simple tips.
    5 avoid the color beige: these foods tend to high in carbs and calories . Low in nutrition .
    6 Get the regular amount of sleep, you know what's best for you, recommended 8* hrs (too little and your body will retain or gain weight.)
    7 Exercise- 3-5 times a week , 30min a day. Preferably strength and some cardio.
    8 The body needs Protein- this helps you build and retain muscle, burn fat and keeps you from getting hungry !

And I also agree , your calorie intake is too low for your bodies needs. I know it sounds counter intuitive, your body needs #2 , not just 1500 calories. I am 45 and I still take in 2500-3000 calories and I am in the best shape of my life! Operation six pak bak !

Well my day wouldn't be complete if I didn't pick apart someone's nonsense:

Yes, this is okay.

No...no it doesn't. Your metabolism is a set system that encompasses the entire function of your body, it has specific demands. You increase these demands only in a few ways...put stress on your system, or increase the net costs, eg, if you weigh more, you burn more.

The eating six times a day thing was a concoction targeted towards people who don't have self control with eating; ie it doesn't boost your metabolism, but keeps you sated so you are less likely to go apesh*t on a Chinese buffet if you have a complete lack of being able to say "no". It doesn't matter if you eat six times a day, every hour on the hour, or one big pig out at "The Feeding Hour" ( of your choice). Go with what works.

Understand how this functions. It's not that it burns "weight", it burns fat. You will gain weight by putting on muscle; this is good, lean mass. As I stated before you can increase your base metabolic rate by making your body have to carry around 300lbs of muscle, or 300lbs of oreo cream filling. Either way works, one is better than the other though. (I'll let you guess)

You can get fat eating 3000 calories of spinach.

Also probably some kind of other health issue there, but I digress. Veggies and fruit are good for you, they are packed with lots of micronutrients your body needs to not be deficient in. However, eat a balance, and more veggies than fruit. The ultimate point is no matter what balance of food you eat, you can still lose "fat" being at a caloric deficit and either way you are still a growing boy, eat hearty.

Christ on sale...

Quinoa would like to have a word with you sir.

So the short version of this is that...completely ignore that statement this dude made. Carbs are good sources of energy, especially if you are a runner, oh man you can do wonders with a plate of spaghetti son. We have all established you NEED calories here, more than you are putting in you. Here is where you want to pick your carbs wisely and smart, fuel all that running you do and fuel the weight lifting you do. Many of those 'beige" items this guy mentioned happen to be packed with quite a few nutrients. Quinoa for example is an excellent stock grain to eat and replace things like rice with, it is a complete protein containing all amino acids you need, it also is high in iron and other good things. Pick complex carbs over simple when possible, so quinoa, cracked wheat, brown rice, whole grain pasta, oats, oats oats.

Well meant but misguided. Sleep is very critical for recovery, both as a runner and in general. You are still growing as well, so don't skimp on it. However..you will not magically gain more weight or fat if you sleep 30 seconds less than eight hours, or even six hours on occasion.

Yes, well, at least this guy is not a complete lost cause.

Color me shocked, he's got it.

However, this if taken with face value is contradicted by everything he said prior.

So in closing. Eat smart, eat a variety, and fuel your growth and endevours kid. You need to bump up those calories by about 1000-1500 if you keep up all that running and add some weight lifting in. Here are some good links to use as a guide:

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP) <---cannot emphasize this one enough.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Your telling me to eat more? What!!!! I will try it out but if it backfires I will be very angry!

If you eat too little, your body will slow its metabolism to compensate. If you raise your calorie intake to an appropriate level, you may gain a bit at first, but it will soon go away as your body adapts.

Don't be angry at the numbers, what matters is how you look and feel. The scale can be very deceptive.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    The above poster-Chris1816- has some good points, however - I go with the Victor w2s ideas, even if some of the rationale is not exactly correct. I eat 5 to 6 times a day, keeps me from being too hungry at any one time AND helps avoid blood sugar crashes. I agree, at your age you MUST eat more, exercise all you want, but incorporate LOTS of strength training and some REST and RECOVERY times. Fit_Kanuck has it correct. PS: Check your responders's profiles to see who has been successful, sometimes they have the best advice. The secret is different for everyone.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

If you eat too little, your body will slow its metabolism to compensate. If you raise your calorie intake to an appropriate level, you may gain a bit at first, but it will soon go away as your body adapts.

Don't be angry at the numbers, what matters is how you look and feel. The scale can be very deceptive.

The scale is a lying beast. Forget it. Get your body fat measured via DEXA or bodpod and work on getting that number down.