shoulder impingement anyone? I'm very impatiant

Options
monjet13
monjet13 Posts: 40 Member
I was just wondering if any one out there has had to deal with a shoulder impingement problem. One of my main exercise program is master swimming and I had the same problem when I swam in collage, it is fairly mild right now and I'm treating it with rest, ice and anti inflammatories, I'm staying out of the pool until all the inflammation goes down and I'm pain free. I was wondering if anyone had some words of wisdom that could get me back into the pool sooner. I'm jogging right now but its not really my favorite thing.
I just cant wait to get back in the pool.
signed impatient:grumble:

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if any one out there has had to deal with a shoulder impingement problem. One of my main exercise program is master swimming and I had the same problem when I swam in collage, it is fairly mild right now and I'm treating it with rest, ice and anti inflammatories, I'm staying out of the pool until all the inflammation goes down and I'm pain free. I was wondering if anyone had some words of wisdom that could get me back into the pool sooner. I'm jogging right now but its not really my favorite thing.
    Have you gone to an orthopedist to get an idea of the actual plane of motion that's causing the impingement?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with that. I got fixed up with a lot of PT.
    I have no idea what caused mine, as I was not involved with any physical activity at the time. I mean any!
    I followed the physical therapy to the letter though, and it hasnt bothered me for several years.
  • monjet13
    Options
    Not yet, After two weeks if the rest and ice are not effective I'll ask for a referral. The pain occurs on the catch (when my hand enters the water) and pull ( when I bring my hand through the water). my chiropractor advised exercises that work on my mid back region like rows and stretches for my pecs. I'm getting electrotherapy, ultra sound and an adjustment twice a week.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have that problem and find that rest is the best thing. I've done therapy, shots, meds everything. I modified some of my exercises but when it comes down to it rest is the best thing. I work in a restaurant and for a year I was doing the same repetitive movements, reaching back onto a shelf to get plates and it caused major pain. I ended up having to change the position I had and watch my movements for months. Now, it only flares if I sleep with it over my head.
    Good luck. (if you haven't had a shot, it might work, my first worked for about 6 months)
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have a shoulder impingement issue. Which was the result of damage that took place from weight lifting, waiting tables and swimming in high school and college. It was exacerbated by lifting my mother, as I cared for her before she died. Over the last few years it has improved enough, that I plan to start swimming again.

I got a referral to an Orthopedist from my doctor. I was given an MRI and then she showed me the area that is damaged. She told me that I need a surgery to "clean it out". But getting a Cortisone shot, which lasts for at least six months really was the only solution, besides surgery. I have read that Cortisone can be bad if used long term for the health of your joint. You need a MRI and a doctor's eye to really find out where your pain is coming from.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I sometime had a shoulder pain after swimming and cardio kickboxing. The pain would heal on its own with rest but one day, it stayed for more than a week and became very inflamed. That's when I decided to have it fixed by a physiotherapist. I have been in shoulder rehab since mid-January, and it is maybe going to take another month or so. She is preventing me to do anything except the exercises that she prescribes because a wrong movement could bring me back a few weeks. It is a slow process and the longer you wait before consulting, the longer the healing will take. My suggestion is to book an appointment right away and have the PT evaluate how you move and how to modify the motion that caused the pain. You may be luckier than me and save a few months of rehab. Good luck!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Alot of swimmers have problems with their rotator cuffs. I would recommend being evaluated by an orthopedist that specializes in sports medicine. Do you do alot of butterfly. Most butterfly swimmers hyperextend in order to get good lift. This stretches the ligaments. If there is nothing medically wrong, than there are some physical therapy exercises.

1. Rest (no swimming)
    2. Ice (small trash bag about the size of a plastic shopping bag filled and wrapped over the shoulder with an ace. 20 min on 20 min off)
    3. Inclined push ups (standing and doing push ups off of an object about waist high)

Again I strongly recommend seeing a dr first. You dont want to do more harm if you have a torn rotator ligament or mild dislocation. There could also be bone spurs from years of repetitive movement.
  • bellefille
    bellefille Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Unfortunately shoulder trouble and impatience do not go well together... What eventually worked for me was getting the cortisone shot and physiotherapy. Took about 6 months but would have been shorter if I went to the doctor earlier and followed his advice better :)
  • Dynamofan
    Dynamofan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with this by an orthopedist about a month ago ... had been having trouble stretching for a long time (probably about 6-10 months), but I ignored it. I attributed mine to either doing shoulder lifts in the gym, or quite possibly doing soccer "throw-ins" (throwing the ball with both hands over the head) every weekend.

I was given a pamphlet with exercieses with weights, and I've got an appt in a week and a half to see where I am. Honestly, I'm sore after the workouts, and I feel tightness when I am doing them, but afterwards for a day or two it feels like it is improving. Then if I miss a workout or take an extra day in between the pain starts to come back.

I'm impatient too ... hope I can conquer it with the exercises and avoid surgery.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Not yet, After two weeks if the rest and ice are not effective I'll ask for a referral. The pain occurs on the catch (when my hand enters the water) and pull ( when I bring my hand through the water). my chiropractor advised exercises that work on my mid back region like rows and stretches for my pecs. I'm getting electrotherapy, ultra sound and an adjustment twice a week.
    Actually I'd work with internal/external rotations for the shoulder.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • monjet13
    Options
    Thanks everyone
    I'm seeing my general practitioner to get a referral then it will take a couple of weeks to see the Ortho. I also have muscle pain and tightness on that side of my neck but will continue to rest, ice , and anti inflammatory ,also some massage for my neck.