What's the best excercise for your tummy?

Options
Hi all. I seem to be doing quite well, losing weight and toning up over most of my body. But I can't seem to shift the old flabby post babies tummy! Any suggestions to what works best? Appreciated! :o)

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Losing fat overall.

Do some searches on the forums. This question has been asked and answered a lot. You'll get more info than you could ever want.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Oh ok. Sorry, I'm new here so didn't know. :ohwell:
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    are you doing cardio and lifting weights a few times a week? I carry weight on my core, too. Even though I've lost 20lbs (and am wearing size 2!), my core is the last to show it. My arms/legs look muscular- but my back/belly still have a little flab.
    I lost the last 8lbs by increasing my protein and decreasing my carbs. my food diary is public...good luck!
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    are you doing cardio and lifting weights a few times a week? I carry weight on my core, too. Even though I've lost 20lbs (and am wearing size 2!), my core is the last to show it. My arms/legs look muscular- but my back/belly still have a little flab.
    I lost the last 8lbs by increasing my protein and decreasing my carbs. my food diary is public...good luck!

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am doing both those. Perhaps I just need to give it more time! :smile:
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    yea u r right...some answers are not helpful at all.

unfortunately i dont have the answer for you as i only started the whole thing

what i do know is you need to lose fat overall your body (you cannot dictate your body in burning on one spot only)
    and tone your belly muscles (by tensing them with every movement you make, or hold it in all the time & during exercise) so they will be more defined.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Tummy fat is generally lost with overall weight loss and time. Good luck! :)
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Plank/Push ups are surprisingly good for tightening up that core! ..
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    That being said, I think that the only way to lose weight in your belly is to lose weight overall. Before kids I gained pretty evenly throughout my body but since having 4 kids (youngest 6 months ago) my belly is definitely the worst part of my body. I wish there was a way to make it vanish! :)

I've been told by my gym instructors (who are also mothers) that for moms who have recently had babies and have trouble tightening up their stretched out abs, that plank position is best (but still doing crunches and other ab exercises as you are able).

Congrats on the baby!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    anything that requires core work will help. I rather like zuzana light's youtube workouts. They involve a lot of core and cardio work using your body weight.

If you have fat on your stomach then "toning" won't matter to your outward appearance, in which case cardio and weight lifting is necessary
  • samra2012
    samra2012 Posts: 715
    Options
    I usually do cardio three times per week and weights three times per week too..... I used to have two bellies and now I have one... wo hooo! it works for me! :wink:
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Cardio and Weight lifting, since the abdomen isn't a big enough muscle group to burn the necessary calories/fat you have to work the rest of the body to get to it. Then to tone you do ab work
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    planks are great for the abs!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Woah, people!

it was a joke!

She was implying that a nice tummy is made by the food that you eat. You have to see your tummy muscles by losing the fat. I know we are self-conscious about weight, but we are grown-ups here, surely we can get over someone joking about weight loss. In the land of the internet, it is important to remember that 1. it is hard to know when someone is serious or not and 2. when in doubt, assume they are joking.

relax, not everyone is out there make you insecure
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    This one: (copy & paste in your browser)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Start with 2 sets of 8, then 2 sets of 10, then 3 sets of 12, then 3 sets of 15. It just takes practice and hard work. I do them almost everyday and it's made a huge difference in the appearance of my tummy.
  • NikkiPsuedoDupuis
    NikkiPsuedoDupuis Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like to do situps and leg raises with a resistance band, I hurt something terrible for a couple of days but I'm weaksauce lol. But I agree, overall fat burning is the only way, no matter what the miracle drug companies tell you about targeting.

And I honestly think the cheeseburger post was meant to be light hearted and silly, that's my sense of humour too, but the internet sucks for translating that stuff, I get yelled at (OMG CAPS LOCK!!) by my friends all the time because I'm so sarcastic and internet makes me sound like an A-hole lol
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I'd like to remind everyone of a subtle point in our first guideline, which is that we'd actually prefer users NOT be directed to search the forums as opposed to asking in new threads.

Part of the experience we hope to provide on MyFitnessPal is an opportunity for users to meet other users, make friends, and gain the social support network that our site is set up to provide.

This kind of user connection can not be forged by poring over old posts. We actually encourage new users to post their questions, because there are other users who are happy to reply, and this is how relationships grow.

As a general rule:

Please don't respond if you're not going to respond constructively
    Please resist the temptation to direct users to search, at least not as an exclusive solution. Posting fresh threads AND searching is a great combo. But please don't dissuade others from posting any relevant question. We'd prefer to be a live social network, not an encyclopedia of aging references.

Thanks,
    Steven

P.S. We do reserve the right to interpret non-constructive responses as hijacking. Repeat offenses can lead to strikes and other repercussions. There's definitely more lee-way for tangents in the ChitChat forum, but when a user posts a sincere question in a "legit" forum, please do your best to respond directly to their question, or leave the response to someone who is willing to do so.
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Ask over again is ok, so I do planks and bannan boats from the p90x it is helping. keep in mind I have a long way to go and that I see the pay off for this. I do alot of cardo too.
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have added a stability ball to do ab rolls. I too have a baby belly to get rid of, and know how difficult it can be to lose. I'm 27, and my mother is 50, and last year she started doing planks, and different ab work outs on a stability ball. She's had the mom pooch all my life, and was able to slim it way down using the ball.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Unfortunately, you'll find plenty of rude people on here or anywhere for that matter and when you get insulted by their sarcastic humor they will flip it on you and tell you that you are being too sensitive, they will never own the fact that they are being completely insensitive. Most people don't take responsibility for their own actions anymore. Seems rudeness is in. As long as they call it humor they think you should eat it with a spoon and call it delish. They will attack you without any remorse, kind of like a vulture picking your bones clean.

To answer your question; it truly does begin in the kitchen by eating as clean as you can and increase your core work.....like planks. Welcome to MFP and don't sweat the vultures.....they go into hiding at night.....kind of like a bloodsucking bat. :flowerforyou:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    ABS are made in the Kitchen.

try adjusting your macros (percentages of Fats, Proteins, Carbs)