diet for pear shaped women

Options
myjourney2
myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
I have heard a lot lately about the differences between the apple shaped woman and the pear shaped woman. I happen to be a pear shape.

Am I right in assuming I should be eating a high protein , low fat diet? All the info out there now is so confusing.,

Any insight will be welcomed!

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what body shape you are. Weight loss works the same way. There's no difference between what an apple shape or pear shape person should eat. Eat more calories than you need to survive, but under what you burn every day and move more. Try to focus on whole homecooked foods, and stay dedicated. The weight will come off.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    There is no "diet" for particular shapes. Just eat less calories than maintenance, and you'll lose weight. That being said, high protein is generally a good recommendation for satiety and muscle retention reasons. Low fat... not so much. Fat is necessary, you shouldn't avoid it. Carbs you could technically get rid of completely and be fine, but I don't really suggest that either unless the idea appeals to you.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There's a book out now "Farmer/Hunter" or some such that claims if you've got a big belly you should eat low-carb and if you've got a big butt you should eat high-carb. I personally think it's all nonsense and doubt that there's a shred of science to back it up. Humans follow the laws of thermodynamics -- eat less, exercise more, lose weight.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    There is no "diet" for particular shapes. Just eat less calories than maintenance, and you'll lose weight. That being said, high protein is generally a good recommendation for satiety and muscle retention reasons. Low fat... not so much. Fat is necessary, you shouldn't avoid it. Carbs you could technically get rid of completely and be fine, but I don't really suggest that either unless the idea appeals to you.
    I am pear shaped and really my diet was 40 % carbs 30% fat and 30% protein. It is what work for many of us what ever our body shape.
  • myjourney2
    Options
    I probably should just listen to my doctor. He said the same as all of you. He also told me to start using whey protein powder. He says it is a matter of calories in calories out and there is no magic solution. He recommended I stay between 1200 and 1600 calories a day depending on how fast or slow I would like to lose.

I saw the episode on Dr. Oz (please dont hate me but I really think he is kind of a quack) about the Hunter / Farmer diets. That is what got me started on researching the different body types in the first place.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I probably should just listen to my doctor. He said the same as all of you. He also told me to start using whey protein powder. He says it is a matter of calories in calories out and there is no magic solution. He recommended I stay between 1200 and 1600 calories a day depending on how fast or slow I would like to lose.

I saw the episode on Dr. Oz (please dont hate me but I really think he is kind of a quack) about the Hunter / Farmer diets. That is what got me started on researching the different body types in the first place.

I'd recommend starting closer to 1800 calories. You will still be losing weight eating this much, and it'll be easier for you to make the incremental changes you need to get your eating habits under control this way. This is normal for most of us starting out. Start slow. Just don't give up and keep going. Eat well. :smile:
  • anunknownmouse
    Options

There's no reason to use whey protein powder in all honesty, unless you like the taste of shakes. You could just as easily eat chicken breast (or any other source of protein) and get the same amount of protein, and other nutrients to boot.
  • time2shine29
    time2shine29 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i saw the dr. oz shower about farmer/hunter and din't exactly agree with it eather. seems like they need to review simple math of calories in calories out and working out hard and getting a good sweat!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Lol you are going to fit right in then. The good Dr is not well liked here
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more, works for everyone...
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    there are so many theories out there, and most of them are to make money for the companies selling the product/gimic. Unfotunately there is no 'gimic' it's just a matter of calories in vs calories out. Stick to that and I'm sure you'll be fine
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    There's a book out now "Farmer/Hunter" or some such that claims if you've got a big belly you should eat low-carb and if you've got a big butt you should eat high-carb. I personally think it's all nonsense and doubt that there's a shred of science to back it up. Humans follow the laws of thermodynamics -- eat less, exercise more, lose weight.

Yeah, I agree this diet for different body types is a bunch of BS! I have a big booty and if I ate high-carb, I'd also have a big stomach. You can target specific areas through weight training, but as far as diet, there is no magic diet for your shape.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options

There's no reason to use whey protein powder in all honesty, unless you like the taste of shakes. You could just as easily eat chicken breast (or any other source of protein) and get the same amount of protein, and other nutrients to boot.

The reason people (myself included) use whey protein is to get the fast absorption of a shake, as opposed to your body having to digest the food before you get the benefits of the protein in the food
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Throw the concept of "Diet" that you know. A true diet is the regular intake of nutrition.

Become aware of what you are presently eating and the choices you are making. Use the site to realize the amounts and average amounts of Carbs, Proteins, fats, etc. that your body needs. Take action on the healthy path and you will succeed.

As you get closer to your goal weight, you will "slow down" or plateau. This is when you change the macros (Percentages) of Carbs, proteins, and fats. It may take a few weeks, but you will find what works best for your body. From their...Maintain the "new" lifestyle.

I do advise, not only eat better, but exercise (a balance of cardio & muscle conditioning) so that you not only lose fat, but maintain or build muscle mass rather than lose it by not.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    i saw the dr. oz shower about farmer/hunter and din't exactly agree with it eather. seems like they need to review simple math of calories in calories out and working out hard and getting a good sweat!

Dr. Oz can do math. $$$$ in > $$$$ out... :smile:

And OP, yup, you'll be fine... Just stick to your plan and work hard. Read the Success Stories if you need some motivation.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options

The reason people (myself included) use whey protein is to get the fast absorption of a shake, as opposed to your body having to digest the food before you get the benefits of the protein in the food

I understand the theory, but who says fast absorption of a shake is better than the slower digestion of the protein in food?
  • ecborders
    ecborders Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    it's really mainly used for post work out purposes, to help the muscle rebuild quicker. i'm guessing people drink it at other times because of convenience/preference.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    it's really mainly used for post work out purposes, to help the muscle rebuild quicker. i'm guessing people drink it at other times because of convenience/preference.

I also understand this, but there's a lot of broscience in the bodybuilding world. Realistically speaking, as long as you're hitting protein requirements in the day, that's all that's required. The whole "You must drink a protein shake within an hour of working out otherwise all your work was for nothing" bs is basically a scam perpetrated by supplement companies so that they can sell their product.
  • myjourney2
    Options

I do advise, not only eat better, but exercise (a balance of cardio & muscle conditioning) so that you not only lose fat, but maintain or build muscle mass rather than lose it by not.

I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer about 7 weeks ago. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Acutally it is probably the only good thing I have done for myself in a very long time. Now that my kids are grown and moved out it is ME time!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer about 7 weeks ago. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Acutally it is probably the only good thing I have done for myself in a very long time. Now that my kids are grown and moved out it is ME time!

Sweet! Yeah! Sounds like you are on the right path. Just stick with it and work hard.

I wrote a post a while back that you might find helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies