How important is protein powder?

Options
mwcraig34
mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
I have been working out 3 times a week for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours! I do cardio and strength training. How important is it for me to consume protein powder? Do I need to even worry about it? I'm trying to lose weight and get healthy! Also can you recommend a good protein powder if I need to buy some! Taste is important I dont want 2 pounds of crap I dont want to consume! Thank You for any advice you can provide!

Replies

• OccupyFitness
    OccupyFitness Posts: 147
    Options
    I don't work out as much as you do but I aim for about 30g protein before a workout and 20g after. I occasionally use a protein powder made from eggwhites made by a company called MRM ( http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM3286470802P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM3286470802 ) and I blend it with a banana, ice chips, and a tbs of peanut butter.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's not important at all. There are plentiful ways to get protein. Protein powder is one of them. So are eggs. So is chicken breast. So is cottage cheese. Etc, etc, etc. Protein powder is to bridge the gap between how much protein you're getting from real food, and how much you're trying to get. Most people on earth get all their protein from regular food. Some use protein powder, to save themselves a little time with food preparation each day.
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    Not even remotely.
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    You read my mind! I am wondering this myself so interested to see what kind of answers people have. I know NOTHING about protein powder. I don't eat much meat at all, so it would be worth looking into if I am going to do any muscle toning successfully. Thanks for asking this question!
  • Deval619
    Deval619 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi
    im afraid to say it not about taste it about the results
    but you could try optimum nutrition 100% whey
    great stuff give it a shot.
  • fullofsmiles04
    fullofsmiles04 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For me, Muscle Milk is my favorite. I've tried several kinds of powder, but the taste of MM is the best I've found. I work overnights, and workout in the morning after work, so I like taking it after my workout before I go to sleep. It helps curb my appetite for later in the day after I wake up too so I've found that I eat less when I use it. It's especially good after an intense strength training session! :)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Most recommend you get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight. If you can do that with regular food there is no need to use the powders. Most just find it easier than trying to eat lots of meat, beans, and other sources of protein. I use it to keep calories and other fats and carbs down while Im trying limit calories.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    You don't need to consume it, but I certainly like it for it's convenience. I don't always feel like eating right after a workout, so I can just have some protein powder mixed with milk. I also don't eat much meat, so it's a good extra boost in the protein department as well.

I buy Designer Whey, and I quite like it. There are tons out there though. Most companies will give away or sell samples, so you could try it before you invest in a big tub.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you get enough protein from food, son't waste your money on protein powder.
  • vthetigercat
    Options
    If you read the ingredients list one a protein powder, it should tell you the grade of protein that it's using. For whey protein (I'm not sure about soy or others), it'll say either concentrate, isolate, or hydrolysate. Hydrolysate is generally the highest quality and it is more processed, giving it the protein more power to synthesize, but unfortunately sacrificing taste.

For you I'd start with a concentrate, as it is cheaper and tastes best. The one I use, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, is a blend of concentrate and isolate, and tastes good. The only problem I've found is that it doesn't blend as well with ice.

The tastiest one I've had is the chocolate one from Target, and it was very inexpensive.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Most recommend you get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight. If you can do that with regular food there is no need to use the powders. Most just find it easier than trying to eat lots of meat, beans, and other sources of protein. I use it to keep calories and other fats and carbs down while Im trying limit calories.

couldnt of said it better myself!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Not important at all. Get your nutrients from real food. Or, chocolate milk. Yum.
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    As long as you are getting enough protein from other sources you do not need to use a powder. Ihave tried 2 different ones 1- from Walmart - Body fortress... It take a lot to get use to. I finished only because I didn't want to just through it out. the other I got was from Sam's Club - Muscletech- It is really good. I use it in practically everything from yogart, to coffee, etc. it blends well. When blended they taste almost like a milkshake.
    Wish you luck in your journey.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    you don't have to have it, personally I just have a hard time getting enough protein from foods so I have 1-2 scoops a day. It is really hard to find sources of protein that don't have a lot of other macros as well. I just use the 100% whey GNC brand. My boyfriend has an account there and gets us some for really cheap at the beginning of each month.

I have seen a HUGE difference in my muscle recovery and weight loss results since adding it in though.

Maybe try and get a sample or two from a supplement shop near you to see if you like it. It can be costly to buy a huge thing of it and not like it!
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    it depends on how much protein you eat in your regular routine. if you're a hardcore carnivore, you probably don't need it. but if you're a general eater, protein powder is helpful to reach the daily protein goals. I aim for 1g of protein to 1lb body weight, and eat healthy otherwise (no processed food really).
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I tried EAS whey protein powder.. Before I had tried it I had lost 5 pounds then after I started drinking it in sugarless smoothies I GAINED back those 5 pounds!! So can some of them make u gain weight??!!

cuz I workout 6 days a wk.. for 40min per day and its not easy.. I do Insanity now but then it was gym workouts with weights.. Idk ever since then I have been scared to drink WHEY PROTEIN POWDER NE THING..

?????
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If you read the ingredients list one a protein powder, it should tell you the grade of protein that it's using. For whey protein (I'm not sure about soy or others), it'll say either concentrate, isolate, or hydrolysate. Hydrolysate is generally the highest quality and it is more processed, giving it the protein more power to synthesize, but unfortunately sacrificing taste.

For you I'd start with a concentrate, as it is cheaper and tastes best. The one I use, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, is a blend of concentrate and isolate, and tastes good. The only problem I've found is that it doesn't blend as well with ice.

The tastiest one I've had is the chocolate one from Target, and it was very inexpensive.

Agree with everything here. I also love the chocolate one from target, which was a pleasant surprise and only costs about $16.
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    Ok this is all very good information thank you so much!:bigsmile:
  • mwcraig34
    Options

couldnt of said it better myself!

1 gram per lean body weight? I weight 315lbs so do I need 315 grams of protein? What is considered lean body weight?
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    A lot of nutritional sources suggest that protein from powders is not as complete or as effective as those from natural sources. One chicken breast has 30-40g of protein in them so... It is better to eat it than drink it in most cases. Powders would be best maybe for builders or people who are really limiting their calories.