Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

tone before loss

My goal has always just been to lose weight and honestly the less muscle I gained was better.... But now I have a whole new body image I'm trying to achieve as well as a whole new life goal that inspired it.... But my question is... when I hit the gym, would doing more weights than I did before and maybe a little less cardio than I did before (just on some days of course) would that be a bad thing? would I gain muscle under my fat and never shed the pounds? or would it work together? helppp

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Adding weights & strength training to my cardio is what got the pounds off for me. They compliment each other - if you're building lean muscle you're likely burning off the fat.
  • Hileman22
    Hileman22 Posts: 4
    Thanks. I wasn't sure. I've always been anti muscle before, just uneducated on it for that reason mainly. I know my husband does weights to gain weight, lol. But hes Army, and about half my size. I know the number isnt what matters, it's my body. My I was afraid i'd build under the fat and not actually lose. Thanks for the info!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    your husband is probably eating well over his maintenance level for building muscle too. lifting weights will only make you gain weight if you're also eating too many calories and if you're eating more calories than you need you'd be gaining weight anyway. if you're eating at a deficit then logic dictates that you wont be gaining much of anything regardless of what activities you are doing

it's also very hard to gain muscle if your a woman because we have less testosterone. so go ahead and lift weights. i find that the more i lift weight wise, the slimmer i get as long as i'm eating to lose