Back fat

Options
Hey guys,

I started out my journey at 200 pounds and as of today, I'm 166.4. Everything seems to be getting smaller, but I feel as though I have an abnormal amount of fat on my back. I can't afford a gym and am not able to purchase any weights, so I need some assistance on how I can build muscle on my back to rid myself of my gross flab. Currently I do some ab work such as bicycle crunches and leg lifts, then I do push ups, I also do squats and lunges, but I'm not too sure what else I can do for my back.. I'm also wondering what to do with my arms. Any tips would be awesome!

Replies

• kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you just have to keep reducing your body fat. Back fat is just fat. I feel you pain, though. My lower back on the backs of my hips seems to be where my body places reserves for surviving future famines.
  • booboorocksout
    Options
    Try Pilate's. If you have netflix you have access to several videos. Cans of food can be used as weights. Although a pair of 3lb weight will only set you back $8. The other thing to try is you tube. There are all sorts of videos. Start with a back extension. Or look for back toning videos. Good luck sweetie. You are kicking button.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My netflix only seems to have a crappy pilates video set int he 90's. It's terrible. I'll most likely end up buying some weights, but I never thought of youtube.. strange. Haha. Thanks for the tips
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My mom was part of a paddling club when she was younger, I think she did dragon boat racing... and she said when she was paddling, you couldn't even pitch her back, there was nothing to grab!
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My problem area is that yucky roll over my bra near my shoulder blades! The rest of my back/torso doesn't even have much fat, it's just that spot!! I've been doing pilates and exercises targeting that area, but I've only just started. And I know you can't target fat loss, but I'm hoping maybe toning up that area will help.
  • Cookiepusss
    Options
    You can't "spot" reduce. You have to lose fat all over through aerobic activities. If you build the muscle underneath it will still be covered by the fat. As you get closer to your goal you won't likely see anymore 'back fat'. Congrats on your weight loss so far.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Check out Blogilates on YouTube! Her workouts are killer.
  • spricia
    spricia Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss! It sounds like you're doing the right things. One thing that gives me a fabulous overall workout is dancing, especially if you get your arms involved and get your whole body moving. I do this at home with favorite music, or go out to a bar with live music at night. It usually doesn't matter, as long as there are people dancing, you don't need a partner. It's hard to tell who is dancing with who. Just get up an dance. The places where I live don't charge a cover, and I just ask for water at the bar and leave a tip. They don't charge for a glass of ice water. Cheap exercise, and very social.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    To lose the fat, just keep eating at a deficit. As far as building strength, you could try supermans
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    http://www.divine.ca/en/fitness-and-nutrition/exercise-finder/c_266/

great website, just click on the part of the body you want to work on and it gives you detailed list of exercises!
  • zhanaolivia
    zhanaolivia Posts: 65
    Options
    I would absolutely recommend just spending the 10$ on some small weights. Then you can find thousands of sites that outline proper exercises and stretches for the back with and without weights.
    I also recommend picking up something like rowing or kayaking, but it's very likely that you can't afford to do so. We bought my mum a rowing machine for her birthday and I've found that it's an absolutely fantastic workout. It's strength training and cardio, and you can burn 100 cals in under 10 minutes. It's great for the legs arms and back.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I started out my journey at 200 pounds and as of today, I'm 166.4. Everything seems to be getting smaller, but I feel as though I have an abnormal amount of fat on my back. I can't afford a gym and am not able to purchase any weights, so I need some assistance on how I can build muscle on my back to rid myself of my gross flab. Currently I do some ab work such as bicycle crunches and leg lifts, then I do push ups, I also do squats and lunges, but I'm not too sure what else I can do for my back.. I'm also wondering what to do with my arms. Any tips would be awesome!

You can add things like push-ups for your back, but it won't displace the back fat. You will lose the back fat right along with everything else. I wish there was a way to spot reduce! :-)
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    To lose the fat, just keep eating at a deficit. As far as building strength, you could try supermans

This. Just stay consistent, watch the cals and it will go away.
  • MyNewZen
    MyNewZen Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Monstergirl: I wish I could swap you, I carry all mine on the frount :/

It's just genetics, as the others have said keep losing and it will all come good with time.
  • ginamc04
    ginamc04 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You don't want to go too low in your calories, your deficit should never be lower than 1200-and thats pretty low if you are exercising.

Exercise ideas: running, pushups, planks, bodyrocktv, jump rope, squats, lunges-all great calorie torchers! You can do it and it doesn't have to cost you a lot of money (or any money other than sneakers)
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

BEFORE I even read all the replies I want to thank you soooooo much for posting this! All my life Ive had back boobs and never had the gumption to ask more than a few close friends what to do about it. (which never helped in the first place) Your question is greatly appreciated!
  • JmeHarris
    JmeHarris Posts: 38
    Options
    Just looked at the site. Good tip!
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    weights are cheap, if you need cheap, and expensive if you have money to spend. How, you ask?

1 oz of water = 1 ounce (yeah, sure seems obvious, right?)

a gallon jug of water = 128 oz = 8 pounds. You could buy a gallon of water, or reuse a milk jug.

a case of coke (12 pack) is 144 oz ( 9 pounds) and a 24 pack is 18 pounds. (well, less for diet coke which floats in water, and more for regular, give or take, but hey) (hey, off brand works too, 2~3 bucks for a 9 pound weight, double that to have one for each arm, isn't that bad) (hint, buy the noncarbonated stuff, so if it drops (or when) its still good to drink ( or give the kids to drink. Like sunny D...)

of course, you can buy a 5 gallon jug of water weighs 40 pounds, and is just a few bucks too...

a bottle of soda (or water, but some sodas have bottles that are easier to hold on to) make decent starter weights, 16 oz = 1 pound, then move up to 20 oz then 1 litre bottles (2#) and 2 litre bottles, etc...
  • monstergirl14
    Options
    Yeah, right now I jog 3 times a week and walk the other two. I know there's no such thing as spot reducing, but I just wanted exercises that'll work out my back even though I don't have weights. Thanks for all the tips, guys! I really appreciate it!
  • monstergirl14
    Options

BEFORE I even read all the replies I want to thank you soooooo much for posting this! All my life Ive had back boobs and never had the gumption to ask more than a few close friends what to do about it. (which never helped in the first place) Your question is greatly appreciated!

Haha noo problem, I have always had a problem with my back being fatter than the rest of my body.. mind you, my entire body was fat, but my back especially. it's annoying.