suggestions for hamstring tightness

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
i have been exercising for about 6 months now and i figured i would be a bit more flexible by now. The back of my thighs are still tight and stiff. eg) i was doing my Rin30 today and i layed on my back and put my legs straight up, i can't do it without my knees being bent. they hurt and pull and are stiff. what can i do to help stretch those muscles more and relax them?

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a foam roller and using it before and after you exercise.
  • all4derby
    all4derby Posts: 55
    Options
    I had this problem too and what helped me is a foam roller and yoga. If you don't want to do all out yoga, try standing and crossing one ankle over the other then bending over, hold then switch. Also, sitting with your legs straight out in front of you, reach your left hand out to grab the outside of your right foot and then switch.

Ironically, doing regular squats with the Olympic bar (and weights of course) helped me, but if you're already doing that and you have tightness then it probably won't help :)
  • armoredcore
    armoredcore Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling, what I do are good mornings. After a couple of sets, they loosen up almost always. Hope it helps
  • lin7604
    Options
    good mornings? what is that? oh and what is a foam roller?

i do stretches already, i do those ones like mentioned sitting on the floor and stretching out to eat leg, i also do some standing.. it just doesn't seem to be enough? maybe i will try yoga, never have done it before....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    make sure to also stretch your quads and hip flexors as well as your hamstring. your leg muscles work as a team

foam rolling and massage helps
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options

i do stretches already, i do those ones like mentioned sitting on the floor and stretching out to eat leg, i also do some standing.. it just doesn't seem to be enough? maybe i will try yoga, never have done it before....
    i can see good mornings being useful if you had a weakness in your posterior chain, but for tightness i'd recommend stretching.

not to discount good mornings, by the way.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBGoodMorning.html
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

i can see good mornings being useful if you had a weakness in your posterior chain, but for tightness i'd recommend stretching.

is there a difference between good mornings and straight leg deadlifts?? cuz i never do good mornings am i missing out on something?
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    the suggestions above are all great. for my sore muscles I just make sure to stretch them really well not only before exercising but also as often during the day as you can. An advil and ice at the end of the day goes a long ways too
  • docktorfokse
    Options

is there a difference between good mornings and straight leg deadlifts?? cuz i never do good mornings am i missing out on something?
    they work the same muscles, so i wouldn't trade one for the other except for personal preference,
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    My hubby has the same problem. Its could be your hip flexors that is causing your hamstrings to be tight. You can youtube stretches that will help you with them.

http://www.sharecare.com/question/causes-for-hamstrings-feeling-tight
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

they work the same muscles, so i wouldn't trade one for the other except for personal preference,
    thats what i thought... i do straight leg deads cuz i dont think you can kill urself doing that exercise... if you a good morning wrong and lose balance you mine as well call them good nights!
  • docktorfokse
    Options

thats what i thought... i do straight leg deads cuz i dont think you can kill urself doing that exercise... if you a good morning wrong and lose balance you mine as well call them good nights!
    lol, i always do mine really close to the rack so that way if i do fall forward i'm saved by hitting the rack.
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    Have you tried stretch bands? When I was dancing, I pulled my right hamstring so bad I couldn't sit down and the physical therapist gave them to me. You can order them off amazon and they come in different strengths, but they are good for starting out and getting flexibility (or getting it back like me)

The excersize you talk about where you lay on your back and lift your legs is one of the ones the therapist had me do. When you can't lift it totally straight, you wrap the band around your foot and hold it with your weight where you CAN keep it straight and gently stretch upwards
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Ri30 has some good hamstring stretches in there... I was having the same problem, but I decided to do extra stretches throughout the day from the video for it and after I took a rest day, I noticed a major change. I'm now more flexible than I was before I started.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    There are some great yoga poses that will stretch and relieve pain form tight hamstrings. Definitely downward dog, and be sure you slowly (very slowly, stretching should never be "bouncy") press your heels back, to the floor if you can do it.

My favorite hamstring stretch, though, is the wall assisted. You can see a video of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wz23ONDzUc

If you use a towel or band and flex your foot, you'll get an even better stretch. The key to this one, though, is to keep both hips on the floor. You *will* feel it in your hamstring, but the relief afterward makes it so worth it!
  • lin7604
    Options
    thx everyone, i will look for some bands or something, i think that would help... i also do 30ds and rin30 and i agree there are some good exercises and i do all of them but i am still so tight.. i think i also will give yoga a try, i have never done yoga before so it might help more then i think it will..