Milk wars

Options
I'm having a problem choosing which milk I should be drinking every day. I currently do not drink anything but water as I see drinks as a huge waste of calories. But I need to have 1/2 cup of some kind of milk on my cereal every morning.

My options

a) full cream cow's (high calories, poor nutrition except calcium, tastes okay)
b) skim cow's (low calories, poor nutrition except calcium, tastes ****)
c) soy (high calories, good nutrition, tastes best)
d) almond (low calories, okay nutrition, tastes okay)

Which is best???

Replies

• anunknownmouse
    Options
    Da heck you talking about cows milk having poor nutrition? They all have different nutritional profiles, but it really doesn't matter. If you like soy milk the best, drink soy milk. It's only half a cup, that's what, 40-50 calories in a day? Don't sweat the small stuff.
  • Swopkin
    Swopkin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Almond or soy. Both have incredible properties and they taste awesome.

Found this on google;

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/family-nutrition/soy/7-reasons-why-soy-so-good-you

AND

http://www.helium.com/items/803826-the-benefits-of-almond-milk
  • zhanaolivia
    zhanaolivia Posts: 65
    Options
    Da heck you talking about cows milk having poor nutrition? They all have different nutritional profiles, but it really doesn't matter. If you like soy milk the best, drink soy milk. It's only half a cup, that's what, 40-50 calories in a day? Don't sweat the small stuff.

Thanks, I guess you're right. I suppose almond or soy are the best. After having soy on my cereal for a couple of weeks, plain milk just tastes like water.
  • sharpeoplepc
    sharpeoplepc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Have you tried 1% or 2% milk?
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I'm having a problem choosing which milk I should be drinking every day. I currently do not drink anything but water as I see drinks as a huge waste of calories. But I need to have 1/2 cup of some kind of milk on my cereal every morning.

My options

Which is best???

:grumble: the ones that are actualy milk?, just saying.
    i :heart: "moo cow **** milk":love:
  • zhanaolivia
    zhanaolivia Posts: 65
    Options
    Have you tried 1% or 2% milk?

Yes, it just tastes like skim. Which just tastes like half milk/half water. I'm afraid I can't stomach the stuff.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I love coconut milk, which you didn't mention.
    Great taste.
    50 calories/cup (unsweetened kind)
    Tons more calcium than cow's milk.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Goodness, for half a cup per day? Pick the one you like and make it fit.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    It's also personal preference. I don't like the taste of soy milk. I bought almond milk for the first time yesterday, poured it in my glass and just looked at it for a minute. The colour wasn't too appealing but I gave it a try and I really liked it. But I also will drink 2% cow's milk. They all have their positives and negatives.
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I put a full cup of Silk Light Vanilla Soy Milk on my cereal and it's only 70 calories. It goes great with Special K Chocolately Delight! Yummmm!
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options

My options

Which is best???

:grumble: the ones that are actualy milk?, just saying.
    i :heart: "moo cow **** milk":love:

I don't even like milk and I vote for the real thing. Soy is not more nutritious and the almond has all kinds of additives...as far as I'm concerned, these options are only for people who have issues with dairy. If you don't have a problem with dairy, choose the real thing.
  • IamL
    IamL Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is nutritious and tastes amazing! :D I love it.

If you're trying to go for something with lower calories, I had unsweetened almond milk once, and I think it's only 35 calories for an 8 oz glass. But you might not like the taste since it isn't sweet at all. (I enjoyed it, though.)

There is also coconut milk and rice milk... Coconut milk is good, although a little watery tasting. I've never had rice milk, so I can't say what it's like.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    What about goat's milk? My daughter loves it!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    duplicate post.
  • humblebumblebee
    Options
    I dont think thats right. You are getting more with almond and soy milk than cows. Cow milk is meant for a baby calf, not a human.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess it depends on what you consider healthy. Avoiding processed foods would include almond milk and soy milk. I try to eat whole foods as much as possible. That said, I've always hated milk, although I did used to add it to cereal. But since cereal is processed, I don't eat that anymore either. As for coconut milk, the real stuff that comes in a can is healthy and great to cook with, but it is too rich and thick to use as a beverage. The liquid stuff that comes in a carton is not true coconut milk and is full of additives, and is again, processed. Obviously, not everyone feels the same as I do about processed foods, so to each his own.
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's also personal preference. I don't like the taste of soy milk. I bought almond milk for the first time yesterday, poured it in my glass and just looked at it for a minute. The colour wasn't too appealing but I gave it a try and I really liked it. But I also will drink 2% cow's milk. They all have their positives and negatives.

I just tried almond milk for the first time yesterday, too! I've always been a 2% girl (full fat is just so thick feeling!), but I recently switched to skim. The problem is, I don't like the aftertaste/smell of cow's milk. I bought some unsweetened almond milk and tried it on my cereal, and all I can say is YUM! I actually used a full cup of it today (on a double serving of multigrain cheerios).

To the OP, I agree with the others who have said to figure out what you like best and make it fit. It's a small portion of your daily calories anyway. Good luck!