How to get into running...

Options

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Chased by zombies?

Haha, my friend actually works for the company that does all the "run for your lives" zombie races! cracks me up...
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Chased by zombies?

Haha, my friend actually works for the company that does all the "run for your lives" zombie races! cracks me up...
    this would be awesome!
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    .... what the best shoes are for running?

I absulutely love my Asics Gels. When they broke, I got a new pair exactly the same. They come in a variety of prices, but the cushioning and support on all of them is top notch. For a beginner, look no further.

As you get more into it, you might consider going to a profesional running shop (there's one in london, "Runners World", I think), where they will watch you on a treadmill, press your foot into clay, and all sorts of cool stuff to make a bespoke recomendation. Until then, get some Asics.

Since I bought my last pair, they've updated their website. Check out this:

http://www.asics.co.uk/running/shoe_advisor/

Edit: "when they broke" was about four years after I bought them. Don't worry about them falling apart soon.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I absulutely love my Asics Gels. When they broke, I got a new pair exactly the same. They come in a variety of prices, but the cushioning and support on all of them is top notch. For a beginner, look no further.

As you get more into it, you might consider going to a profesional running shop (there's one in london, "Runners World", I think), where they will watch you on a treadmill, press your foot into clay, and all sorts of cool stuff to make a bespoke recomendation. Until then, get some Asics.

Edit: "when they broke" was about four years after I bought them. Don't worry about them falling apart soon.

Another vote for Asics Gels here. I couldn't get to a running shop, and as just a beginner I wasn't that bothered anyway. All I knew is that I was getting severe shin splints and needed to stop them. So, I bought the Asics as my first pair of running shoes. They're incredible.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    COUCH TO 5K! It's brilliant. I did it and now I can run nearly 4 miles without stopping and want to add even more. It combines walking and running (or jogging, don't feel like you have to do the running intervals like hard sprints if you can't) until your endurance is good enough that you can run half an hour (or 5k) without needing to stop. It's a 9 week program, but you can repeat weeks if you find them too hard. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for running shoes, then start the NHS podcast couch to 5k, this is what i did.
    Next month im entering a 10k race and up until i done the C25K id never run since leaving school around 35 years ago :bigsmile:
  • emp27
    emp27 Posts: 1
    Options
    The cuch 2 5km app has now changed name to ease to 5km HTH I have a chronic chest complaint and 2 years ago struggled walk up stairs and thought this might be an easy way to build up. It say 3tims a week and in 8 weeks you will run 5km. I never got that far but after 43 months i managed to walk run a 5km race in 45 mins and was over the moon. I stopped for a while and have just restarted on it and was happy to be able to start from week 3 and not need to go back to week one. I also run around a lake so once i start I can't stop because getting back to the car would mean either keep running around or start swimming x
  • JonesJennings
    Options
    i run about every single day... i hate every minute of it.

This. It's f-ing miserable. People who claim to enjoy running are either lying to you or lying to themselves. BUT, it's a good way to burn fat/cals, so I do it. I think I run faster just to try to get it over with sooner.

If you're making yourself miserable to be healthy, you might be robbing Peter to pay Paul. Why not give Zumba or Body Combat a go? There's bound to be something that's both fun _and_ healthy out there.
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    Chased by zombies?

this would be awesome!

I would do this. And I do not like running. Zombies are the best incentive. Don't think so? Watch 'The Walking Dead'! lol
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options

Another vote for Asics Gels here. I couldn't get to a running shop, and as just a beginner I wasn't that bothered anyway. All I knew is that I was getting severe shin splints and needed to stop them. So, I bought the Asics as my first pair of running shoes. They're incredible.

I have mizuno, really impressed.
  • fatimaaamir
    fatimaaamir Posts: 11
    Options
    I was horrible at running too, but I improved a lot :-)
    I would say, start off slow. No shame in that! Run for a minute, walk for two. Or if that's too easy for you, run for two minutes and walk for one. Repeat that until you've done 21 minutes (so about 7 times).
    Keep it up 3-4 times a week and your endurance will improve. Eventually, your goal should be to run the entire 21 minutes without stopping to walk, and you'll easily be able to achieve that in slightly over a month.
  • JonesJennings
    Options
    I have mizuno, really impressed.

I havn't heard of those myself, but I reckon with the less well known brands, money stretches a lot further than it does with Nike or Adidas. Not saying Nike don't make a good running shoe, but their entry level shoe does a lot more for the eye than the foot.

Edit:
    Worth mentioning, not all unknown brands are any good.

If someone's about to shell out GBP 40-50 for a new pair of trainers, probably worth first spending 2.50 on this month's Running Magazine (dunno what it's called, 'runners world'? 'the runner'? 'the road'? summat like that).
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I just started c25k and it is hard but I want to do it so I just push on.

I was fitted for shoes at a running store. They are Brooks Glycerin 9 and I absolutely love them. Lots of support and no knee or back pain whatsoever when I walk/run in them.

With tax (in Ontario 13%) the total came to $203.00. Well worth the price!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

This. It's f-ing miserable. People who claim to enjoy running are either lying to you or lying to themselves. BUT, it's a good way to burn fat/cals, so I do it. I think I run faster just to try to get it over with sooner.

If you're making yourself miserable to be healthy, you might be robbing Peter to pay Paul. Why not give Zumba or Body Combat a go? There's bound to be something that's both fun _and_ healthy out there.

Yes!
    It's bad for your mental health to do something you hate so much. DANCE for exercise if you must. Do something you can enjoy and your physical AND mental health will thrive. <3

As for shoes, OMG I got these HOKA shoes with thick foam soles and they are so cushiony and amazing on my feet. I have lots of extra weight on my feet so that cushion helps a LOT with my walking and I'm sure with running eventually.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options

I must be a massive liar then, because I genuinely do enjoy it. Granted, the first mile is often hellish, but once I've got a good pace going and my breathing is good, I really like it. Just because you don't enjoy it, doesn't mean no one else can. Running IS a great form of exercise, but if you really hate it, there are lots of other workouts that burn fat and calories that you might enjoy.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    about 65 lbs again I just started walking at a fast pace and every couple weeks just pick up the pace
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nellanad
    Nellanad Posts: 5
    Options
    Chased by zombies?

this would be awesome!

I would do this. And I do not like running. Zombies are the best incentive. Don't think so? Watch 'The Walking Dead'! lol

isnt step 4 of zombie survival (from zombieland)

Cardio, Cardio, Cardio?

I am hoping to shed some more weight with the elliptical before I start running, I get miserable shin splints which I think is because of my weight...once I can lose some and run comfortably, I will go and enjoy being outside in the fresh air and not cooped up in a stinky gym.
  • widetobride
    widetobride Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I really want to start running, but I am HORRIBLE at it...I have tried going running before and I just want to die. Are there ways to get into running? Any tips would be helpful:smile:

hi michelle,

I am no expert- in fact, I too am rubbish. However, I love jogging, and I now go every day. My ex used to try to train me, but it just made me really angry. Then I got dogs. I had to walk them every morning before work. So at first I just walked them for half an hour and then came home. Eventually, I started putting tracksuit and trainers on, and running to a lampost, then walking to one. Now I jog very slowly, for five miles. My tips for making it more fun are:
    :flowerforyou: Get a dog, or borrow one. they are good company, love to run, and are very patient if you are rubbish.
    :flowerforyou: Get music you love. i listen to everything from New Kids, to Country, to Rock. I would recommend creating at least 5 play lists, so that you don't get bored.
    :flowerforyou: Use www.walkjogrun.net, to plan your routes. it is a fansatic site. you put in your route, and how long it took, and it tells you your speed, calories, how high the hills were- everything. It really encourages me to be faster next time.
    :flowerforyou: Don't worry about how you look. If it is safe, go at 0400hrs. I go really early because of my shifts, but it also feels less intimidating, because nobody sees me- even in my flourescent clothes.
    :flowerforyou: Don't expect miracles. Jog around the block on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. On thursday go round twice. That is the sort of progression you can do realistically.
    :flowerforyou: On days when you cannot be bothered, just put your running stuff on anyway, and go for a walk. Often, you will end up jogging anyway, but even if you don't, it will keep you in the habit of moving every day, rather than getting out of a good habit, and the longer you leave it, the harder it gets.

Good luck and have fun xx
  • widetobride
    widetobride Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I am not lying. i love it. you need cheesier music, louder clothes, and a couple of beagles, love!!!