tips on how to overcome a craving?

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
my brother just made anzac biccies... my fave...

today was one of my closest friends funerals and all i feel like doing is emotionally eating... please help me stop myself from doing this.

Replies

• patiencexgracexstrength
    Options
    My advice is eat one.
    When I crave I ignore it for weeks and then once I do finally give in I can't stop at one, too much build up I'd have the whole pack!!

ANZACS I can't think of an alternative :( but for instance if I crave cheesecake I have a 60cal cheesecake flavoured yoghurt instead or if I really want chocolate i'll have a hot chocolate (47cals) .... it may sound weird but satisfying it straight away works better for me, if I wait once I give myself an inch I take a mile

edit* really sorry to hear about your friend :(
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Craving is only the untamed Passion.
    Binges are only a symtom
    Cheat days are only the freedom when it comes to self-restriction

and so on....

You are looking at the canvas, not seeing the painting ;)

ask yourself the right questions, and emotional eating will go out by itself in no time
  • Juliamary4
    Juliamary4 Posts: 5
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your friend.
    When I had a craving the other day I rang and chatted to a friend. By the time I finished talking I did not want what I was craving.
  • armoredcore
    armoredcore Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    l'm sorry you lost your friend. But think about how much you achieved. All the steps you took forward. Again, im so sorry for your lost.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I went for a 3 mile walk last night to curb rage cravings. In less emotional situations I just run with stubbornness to overcome the cravings but when emotions are running high I need a distraction.
  • rohmaansari
    rohmaansari Posts: 24
    Options
    just have a bite or two.. The craving will go away
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    If you have ingredients google a healthy low cal oatmeal cookie and make it babe xx
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your friend.

With the cravings, what worked for me is I had a bottle/glass/jug of water close by whenever I could. Whenever I craved (cigarettes) I would have a long, slow, drink until it the craving passed. In the case of food, it will "fill" you too. Remember, slow. You'll end up drinking alot more water which has it's good but also the pee stops Might be a little more frequent. For me, I could put up with the downside.
  • Outfoxed29
    Outfoxed29 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I am so sorry to hear you have lost a good friend.

Like another person on here I also drink a glass of water slowly when I feel a craving and I follow this up by making sure I do something like take my dog for a walk. By the time I get back the craving has usually gone and when I am feeling very down the walking with the dog also makes me feel better. Good luck.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Or whenever you want a cookie. Head straight to the kettle for herbal tea.. Every time. Or water. Even boiled water with citrus rind or honey
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The best one that works for me is just to go to sleep
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyones advice and sympathies. :heart:

I worked them out as only 100 cals so just had 2. PS I can't just go to sleep at 8pm when I have so much stuff yet to do?