iphone apps for tracking running

Options
emma7437
emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
I have just started running outside on weekends, rather than on my treadmill all the time. But I am curious to track how far I run. I can measure using the car if I am going on roads but I would like to go elsewhere as well, like around the lake.

What great apps have people used for this? I have a HRM so do not need this as part of the app. Maybe something that I can monitor how far I have run altogether, but this is just curiosity, rather than necessary. I have an iphone 3 so do not have the GPS on it like more recent iphones apparently have.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I love iMapmyrun - but not sure if it works on the iphone 3
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I use Strava for cycling. Has a running setting too :O)
  • yabba45
    yabba45 Posts: 35
    Options
    endomono...great app
  • DangerMouse7
    DangerMouse7 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi Emma,

I use Nike+gps on my iPhone 4. It's going to be hard to map a run without a gps sensor in the iPhone 3. But can be done as follows;

One benifit of the Nike+ app is the website which you can plan the route on a map and it calculates the distance. The app then can calibrate like a pedometer to the route. It syncs with the website. So you can track what you were after in your post.
    It's a low cost and efficient app that includes music control and prompts during your run from known athletes. Great for motivation.
    Definitely worth a try to see if you like it.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    When I had the iPhone 3 (with no GPS), I just ran and then came home and put the route on Map My Run (mapmyrun.com) and that showed my distance and I made note of my time. It is a simple free way of tracking yourself. The apps aren't very accurate that work without GPS and pedometers are very tough to get set to your stride accurately. Map My Run is really awesome. You simply map out where you are going or where you just went.
  • Loralex
    Loralex Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I have found a great app called "RunKeeper" for my iphone. Its has a GPS tracking device, so it tracks your distance and plots your route on the map. It calculates calories burned and works out your average speed per km, it also gives you a breakdown of your average speed per km, AND it gives you an average speed per minute. IT'S EXCELLENT!! I And its a FREE App.
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I also use runkeeper. Its a great app, and free! I have been using it for a year and a half, and have all of my runs on there. LOVE IT!
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi Emma,

I use Nike+gps on my iPhone 4. It's going to be hard to map a run without a gps sensor in the iPhone 3. But can be done as follows;

One benifit of the Nike+ app is the website which you can plan the route on a map and it calculates the distance. The app then can calibrate like a pedometer to the route. It syncs with the website. So you can track what you were after in your post.
    It's a low cost and efficient app that includes music control and prompts during your run from known athletes. Great for motivation.
    Definitely worth a try to see if you like it.
    My vote is for the Nike+GPS on my iPhone 4 too. I use it on training runs outside and I've used it on two of my last races, where I've gotten PRs. When I'm running and it let's me know my pace, I find out I'm doing great and then push myself even harder!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I use Strava for cycling. Has a running setting too :O)

Strava is an awesome app!
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I like use digifit (But that is because it is also my HRM) But you can also go to sparkpeople they have a place where you can map your route so you can see how far you ran or want to go before you do go.
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_maps_home.asp?dteDateShowing=5/5/2012
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Can't live without RunKeeper and my Street Team that I've built up in it, we push each other to better our times.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I use the mapmyrun app but I have a 3S (guessing you have the model thats 1 older than mine, because mine has GPS) I don't think it works without a GPS though, but I know you can input your route into it after you finish your run! I have noticed it seems to be a little off though (I run a trail that says its 3 miles but on the tracker it only gives me about 2.8 miles). I've heard great things about the Nike+ app but I'm not a huge fan of Nikes as far as running shoes personally and I don't want to drop the money on the sensor to wear otherwise
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    NIke+GPS is the bomb, but since you dont have GPS I would still recommend Nike+. I've used it a few times and it still works well. Plus I'm pretty sure its free. Also if you are looking for something more fun, "Zombies, RUN!" is soooooo great. It tracks your run, but is also an interactive game at the same time. Not sure if its compatible with iPhone3 tho. Time to upgrade! :wink:
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have found a great app called "RunKeeper" for my iphone. Its has a GPS tracking device, so it tracks your distance and plots your route on the map. It calculates calories burned and works out your average speed per km, it also gives you a breakdown of your average speed per km, AND it gives you an average speed per minute. IT'S EXCELLENT!! I And its a FREE App.

I also love my runkeeper app!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper and Endomondo are two apps I've used in the past that track runs pretty well with GPS. They're pretty accurate, and easy to see in the computer. I still use Endomondo to track my statistics with overall mileage, speed, and courses, because it's a nice layout that's easy to read.

You can also use either of those to put in your map manually if you don't have your phone out to track it when you're running, and it plots the maps using Google. I am so glad for things like that, because I remember being in high school and having to literally re-drive my routes in my car, every time, to see how far I ran.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper as well. I like that I can map out a route ahead of time online and know where I need to go if I'm trying to reach a certain distance. I also have MFP friends as part of my 'street team' as well as friends in other states - fun to have more people to encourage me along the way.