Recovery

Options
Where im living at the moment is really triggering my ED and I can't actually go see someone at the moment so I thought id make a MFP and see if I could get some understanding friends on here that'll be supportive through my journey to try get healthy again

Replies

• trasista4
    trasista4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Longroadtorecovery, Take one day and a time and know I am praying for you. YOU GOT THIS! Blessings. Trasista4
  • Pavington
    Pavington Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi There,
    Try and remember an ED is not really about food, or weight, or health - it's a way of coping. A 'maladaptive coping strategy' I so frequently get told. For me becoming all consumed about what I will or wont eat, how many calories are in it, what my weight is doing minute by minute, how horrific my body is etc, is all a way of trying to block out what is really worrying me. You've said where you're living is triggering it. Is there anyway you can try and address the triggers instead? I know for me that once I get locked into the ED pattern it becomes all consuming and my thinking becomes so rigid that I can't think outside the box and I have to try and control food more and more.

Now I try to remember that I'm a resourceful, capable and worthy person. I need to be kind to myself and that means giving my body what it needs, and giving my soul what it needs too. Quiet reflection, a trip round the shops, a long rant to a friend, a cuddle up on the sofa with a good book. Life will always have tricky times, but they're not solved by focusing on eating.

You're no doubt aware that the pattern gets harder to break the longer you let it take hold, so you've done the right thing in reaching out. Feel free to message me if you want to chat more - but most importantly - be nice to yourself!!

Take care,
    Pav.
  • Bobjeannie
    Bobjeannie Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi LongRoadToRec,
    I saw the title of this thread and knew I was a thread for me. At least you realize what you are dealing with and not just thinking it is all about finding the right diet.

I second what Pavington has said.

I have been helped the most with my ED from a book by a psychologist, Judith Beck titled: The Beck Diet Soloution, based on Cognitive Behavior Therapy. May sound complex but it is not. Even though the title says "Diet Soloution" it is not about a diet, rather the book has you look at what you are telling yourself, how that may be sabotaging you and how to challenge those sabotaging thoughts.

I mention the book b/c you said you were living in a place that was triggering your ED. The book may help you with dealing with the things there that trigger you to want to eat. But for the short term (books take time to read) can you list the specific things that are the problem there? Are those you live with bringing in lots for foods that trigger binge eating?