how often do you run.

Options
Becca21
Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
Ive been running for 8 weeks now 3 times a week and want to start doing it 3 evenings and 2 mornings.
is this to much

Replies

• jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    nope, I run every day when my foot isn't fractured.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Maybe try and incorporate some strength training in there as well though?
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I was just doing once (maybe twice ) a week. I built it up to every alternate day. Now, I just judge on overall feeling. Usually, I can manage some consecutive days but today I have slight calf pain from my 5k late last night (the fastest I've done), so whilst I did plan to run today I'm going to walk instead.
  • annaglasgow
    annaglasgow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this too, I run 5kms 3 times a week, get a huge mental benefit. Now I am fitter I'm even enjoying running hills and want to start incorporating them more.
  • dalygirl_2010
    Options
    I run pretty much everyday, I might take a day off here or there depending on if I amnot feeling well, but I love the feel of an early morning run!
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    When i have mojo, i run every day i gym :) i force myself if i feel i cant and then i feel better once ive done it, not better in the yay im hyped, better in the see, i can do it! BTW people who can run up hills deserve metals!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't think that sounds like too much- but it depends on what kind of running you're doing and what your goals are. If you're just running for general fitness and enjoyment of running, once your muscles get accustomed to it you can pretty much run to your heart's content as long as you get enough calories. If you decide you want to improve your speed or train for an event you probably need to incorporate some fartleks, hills and/or zone training, which will require more structured rest time between runs.

Note though that for fitness purposes you would getter better return on your time investment by incorporating strength training and rest in those extra workout time slots.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you are running 3 days a week now, add a 4th day and see how that feels for about 4 weeks. If you don't have any unusual aches and pains, then add the 5th day. If at any time during the build up, you start to feel any running over-use pains, back off on the mileage until you can rehab the pain away. It's very, very, very important to not do too much too soon with running. It's a recipe for injury.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Why? I dont. I run several times a week - about 40-50kms a week. I've heard (but not real sure) that one hampers the other. My goals are running, so why should I add strength?

ETA: Try looking online for a training program specific to your goals. I ran a half marathon last month, and doing my second in 2 months. The program I follow has 4-5 runs a week - one long, one-two moderate and then 2 shorter, but more intense workouts such as 3km time trial, 12x hill sprints, 20min hard effort, 4x500m hard. You dont necessarily have to run the same distance - some short will still be running and do your speed/endurance wonders!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Why? I dont. I run several times a week - about 40-50kms a week. I've heard (but not real sure) that one hampers the other. My goals are running, so why should I add strength?

Well, I don't think you can be a world class distance runner and a professional body builder, but that doesn't mean that some strength training won't compliment your running. You need to maintain a strong core and balanced quad and hamstrings are essential.
  • BarefootBrendan
    Options
    If you are running 3 days a week now, add a 4th day and see how that feels for about 4 weeks. If you don't have any unusual aches and pains, then add the 5th day. If at any time during the build up, you start to feel any running over-use pains, back off on the mileage until you can rehab the pain away. It's very, very, very important to not do too much too soon with running. It's a recipe for injury.

Good Advice. 3 days a week will maintain your fitness. 4 will help you improve.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Well, I don't think you can be a world class distance runner and a professional body builder, but that doesn't mean that some strength training won't compliment your running. You need to maintain a strong core and balanced quad and hamstrings are essential.

Yep... Plus, I subtracted over a minute per mile when I added strength training, over the course of about 3 months, without speed training.

I typically run every other day.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    ive started the couch to 5k. only on week 1, though tomorrow will be day 3 of that, so im currently running 3 days a week, well i lie. ill be doing the couch to 5k every 2 days, so some weeks i will be running 4 times a week. i really am looking forward to being able to go jogging/running for a bigger length of time and will continue to do it 3/4 times a week :)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

INJURY PREVENTION!!

You do strength workouts not really to build a ton of muscle but to strengthen what's there, keep your muscles limber, everything helps everything.

Especially good core workouts.

If I DON'T do strength training, my running suffers. If I do strength training, not only do I retain more muscle repairing what can get lost in long distance runs, I go faster, I breathe better, I have more fun.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer the question, I run 3-4 days a week around 20-25 miles, increasing this for a marathon training schedule soon.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I do actually do strength training - 1-2 times a week. My point was more that this answer came from the left with no context as to why. I also do yoga at least once a week which also helps with the core and hamstring issues - boy I know how tight they can be. My rest days are often yoga and a long walk with the dogs.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I run 5 times a week on average. Some weeks it is 6 days, some it is 4. My average mileage is 20-25 miles.

I agree with the strength training for injury prevention and core - I do this 2-3 times a week (on average).

Build in a definite rest day - your body does need to have time to recover.

I absolutely agree with increasing distance SLOWLY. Too much too fast will result in injury.

Finally - don't forget nutrition! Feeding your body correctly is important. Your food will become fuel for running.

Greg
  • kezzlarr85
    kezzlarr85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey
    I run every otherday so my body has chance to recover inbetween i do kettle bell swings after iv bin for a run and squats n sits so i try and cram as much into my run days so i dont feel guilty about my rest days :-)
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 times a week. I also strength train 3-4 times a week.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I run 6 or 7 days per week. 55 mpw average over the last 10 weeks.

I just added two days of light strength training, and I think that's going to help me improve a little and slightly reduce my chance of certain kinds of injury.
  • marathonmaniac51
    marathonmaniac51 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like others have suggested, just add an extra day and keep it easy. See how your body reacts and either add a mile or 2 to 1 or 2 of your runs, or add another easy day. Just keep it easy as you add quantity. I run 6-7 days a week and lift 3-4. I only take days off when i feel like i need it. This has taken years to get to this point though!