Please Help Me- Lupus Walk 2012

Options
Hi Everyone,

Tomorrow, May 5th, 2012 I will be participating in my first 5k for a charity very dear to my heart. This walk will benefit the Lupus Foundation of America. My Mama, Nicole was diagnosed with Lupus in 1998. Ever since that day the life of my Mother and my family members was changed forever. Everyday my Mama struggles to get out of bed and at times isn't even able to complete that task.... so many of us take advantage of these little things. I watch my Mother cry and ask God why she is in so much pain everyday. It breaks my heart and I always wished there was something I could do. Well, about 3 months ago I was made aware of the Charlotte Lupus Walk 2012. I decided that I was going to do this for my Mother and all of the other people suffering from this horrible disease. To prepare for this walk I knew I had to change my life or I was never going to complete the whole thing. Since the date of me finding out I have Quit Smoking and lost 38 pounds. I am so happy that I did this and I am now confident that I will be able to do this! I've also been training by walking 4 miles a day.

OldCD007.jpg

(My wonderful Mama, Nicole)

I am blessed with the ability to walk unlike my mother. It's the least I can do. There is one problem though..... after 3 months of fund raising I have earned $0. My family and friends just don't have the money to help. I am currently unemployed and my parents are helping me with my living expenses. My Mom's option to work and have a financially comfortable life was stolen from her by the Lupus. My Mom is disabled and doesn't get much money. What she does get mainly goes to cover the co-payment expenses on the prescriptions that help keep her alive. These prescription co-payments are almost $500 monthly.

We never ask for help for our personal needs. The money that I'm raising will go to the Lupus Foundation of America in hopes to find a cure and give my Mother and all the people suffering from this disease the ability to get their life back and the knowing that they won't die at the hands of Lupus.

FrontofLupusShirt.jpg

BackOfLupusShirt.jpg

(My Personalized T-Shirt for the Lupus Walk Tomorrow)

I have a profile on the Lupus Foundations website where you can make secure donations. I never see the money and it goes directly to them. The only thing that I can do is walk, and that I plan to do! I've done everything I can to prepare myself but I can't do anything to help actually raise money. I've tried! :( It even say's in the Welcome Packet that I got that the Foundation loses money to host a participant that wasn't able to contribute financially.

I know that you all are probably thinking that I've wasted your time and this is just another scam. Trust me, IT'S NOT A SCAM! I hate trolls and people that hurt people. I am doing this to better the understanding of Lupus and help gain awareness and research of this disease. Lupus is real, and it has changed my families life. This is my contribution to all of the other families and the actual people who have to live their life wondering if they will wake up tomorrow, just like my Mama.

My Fitness Pal has changed my life forever. All of the support that I have received made me realize that I could be a better me and actually helped me not only lose 38 pounds, but also quit smoking after being a 2 pack a day smoker for 9 years. I will forever be grateful and I will continue to use MFP to reach my goals and maintain my success.

If you are able to help me, please do. Even if it's only $1. I appreciate it so much! It's something that I'm not able to do. I've asked everyone I know and I'm turning to my friends and the community of MFP because you have always been there for me and to me y'all are my second family.

If you can donate, please visit my profile on the Lupus Foundation of America website.

The direct URL is: http://walkforlupusnow.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1007680&supId=356072196

Lupus Facts:

More than 1.5 million Americans and 45,000 NC residents have lupus.

The effects on individuals with lupus and their families can be life diminishing and life threatening.

Lupus is one of the most misunderstood and misdiagnosed diseases, with no known cause.

On March 9, 2011, the FDA approved, BENLYSTA, the first drug ever to be specifically developed to treat lupus. This is a significant first step.

The LFA, Piedmont Chapter uses funds collected from WFLN to support research efforts and to provide programs & support to lupus thrivers. Please join me in supporting all those living with lupus and their families.

Even if you can't donate I just want to thank you for taking the time to read this and for also helping me change my life for the better. Because of the MFP community I was able to see that I can accomplish something that I dream for as long as I work for it.

This is my progress so far:

april4edited-1.jpg

Thank you so much!

-Gatorgirlyyy

Replies

• gatorgirlyyy
    gatorgirlyyy Posts: 349
    Options
    Bump. :)
  • autihill
    autihill Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is so awesome. I'm facing a lot of finanicial issues right now and I'm unable to donate, but this event is definitely in my thoughts and prayers. It's for such a great cause :smile:
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Found $5 on the way home from work. You can have it :) Good luck to you. I'm sure your mother is so proud of you and the positive changes you are making in your life.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    I just wanted to thank everyone! This means so much to my family and I. <3 Today is the big day! I'm up and ready even though the walk doesn't start till 5pm. :)

Thanks for all of your support. Once I get home from the walk this evening I will post all of the pictures on this fourm. Please look out for them :)
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    There is still a few hours left. Bump. Thanks y'all. <3
  • SarLem81
    SarLem81 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I don't have much money at the moment, but I gave you a few dolllars because I know from personal experience (I've done the diabetes walk near me for the last two years in my own mom's memory) that every dollar helps. It's great that you're doing this and your mom is beautiful.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    Thank you so much! I appreciate it. :)

Yes, every dollar counts. I just can't wait till it's time to leave. :D