Whey Isolate for women.

Options
Many of my friends have been advising the use of whey isolate as a means of protien boost/suppliment.Is this safe for normal women?Will it bulk up or just help in the toning?
What is your opinion MFPs?

Replies

• bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you're not able to hit your desired protein macro with real food, whatever type of protein supplement you want to add is fine - it's not sex-specific.

And no, simply adding protein to your diet won't change your body comp. Getting 'bulky', even for a dude, is seriously focused hard work.
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    And no, simply adding protein to your diet won't change your body comp. Getting 'bulky', even for a dude, is seriously focused hard work.

Tell me about it...

EDIT: To add, try getting your protein from food as much as possible. Only use powders if you're finding it hard to meet your goals. Most foods come with a bunch of micronutrients that protein powders usually don't contain.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    No!!! if you eat any protein at all it will cause you to look like she-hulk!!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If you're not able to hit your desired protein macro with real food, whatever type of protein supplement you want to add is fine - it's not sex-specific.

^^^ yep! You won't get bulky, women don't have the genes to get bulky. It is actually pretty hard to get big and bulky even for men. You have to eat a big surplus of food anyway.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Ugh Women DO NOT BULK. You can get fat if it has too many calories or too many carbs, so watch those those things when making your choice. Mine has 150 cals, less than 5 carbs/sugars and 25g protein. I eat very little meat so it's hard for me to hit my protein goals, so I have 1 bar a day and a shake after lunch and another after workouts. I'd rather do natural food, but there it is. Good luck.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    You won't build muscle mass on a calorie deficit. Early on, if you lift enough, you will see a slight change, but that is it.

Also, optimum nutrition is the best brand for protein powder.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I use Nature's Best Isopure low carb or no carb Protein after I've done strength training. Women don't bulk up! Don't believe that myth. Read New Rules of Lifting for Women. :) Anyhoo- the isopure is great for me. I always drink it after I've done an hour of weights.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I use protein supplements whenever I'm trying to lose weight. I don't eat much meat other than fish occasionally, so I find it almost impossible to get enough protein and stay under my calories without forcing myself to eat foods I don't really like. If I got enough protein from my regular food, I would use it. Just like I wouldn't take iron or B12 if I wasn't low on them. I just think of protein powder like another food, and count the calories accordingly.

As others have said you aren't going to bulk. If all you needed to do to get really muscular was drink whey, all the guys at the gym would be huge and ripped. Unless the whey is laced with anabolic steroids, it just adds protein to your diet.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It's great for men and women on any diet(except vegans).
  • J3SSP3NNY
    J3SSP3NNY Posts: 235
    Options
    No!!! if you eat any protein at all it will cause you to look like she-hulk!!!

Lmao