5 lbs of fat vs, 5 lbs of muscle

Options
check out the first 30 seconds of this video. This is why I don't like the scale. I have been working out regularly for 3 months and am very discouraged....Here is what my Boot Camp Instructor said, "Your first few months of training you DO lose fat but you also GAIN muscle hence the reason for weight gain. After a few months you begin to slow down in the muscle gain area, and the fat continues to drop off which allows the number on the scale to look better. Measure success in inches lost rather than weight lost especially in the first few months.

TAKE A LOOK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozt-V0PPJaw"

Amazing I am now at rest that my body is changing...

Replies

• tiffpage
    tiffpage Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Thanks for sharing
  • sunshine83777
    Options
    Oh wow! Thanks for sharing!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    check out the first 30 seconds of this video. This is why I don't like the scale. I have been working out regularly for 3 months and am very discouraged....Here is what my Boot Camp Instructor said, "Your first few months of training you DO lose fat but you also GAIN muscle hence the reason for weight gain. After a few months you begin to slow down in the muscle gain area, and the fat continues to drop off which allows the number on the scale to look better. Measure success in inches lost rather than weight lost especially in the first few months.

TAKE A LOOK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozt-V0PPJaw"

Amazing I am now at rest that my body is changing...

I'm very sorry to tell you this, because other than this point...your message is a great one.

You will NOT gain any measurable muscle while eating on a calorie deficit. I don't care what your boot camp instructor says, it's an absolute impossibility. The only exception is if you have an extreme level of bodyfat, and even then...it's a very small amount.

Your weight gain, is due to your muscles retaining water to repair themselves from the new activity. After the first few months, it becomes more accustomed, and knows it doesn't need to hold on to as much...thus the number on the scale falling off. Change up your exercise, and it'll happen again.

Anyhow, again...the message is a great one, but that one important factor needed to be clarified :).