Smoothies for breakfast

Options
I am making smoothies for my breakfast i think for now on. I am not a breakfast person but I know breakfast is important. I can just blend up some fruit, veggies, greek yogurt and orange juice and there is my morning kick start. Anyone else do smoothies for breakfast?

Replies

• LindaWelch789
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast person so could you please give me your exact measure for your smoothies so I can start making them too.
    Thanks Linda
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i usually put together a half a banana, one cup of fat-free, no sugar added frozen yogurt (vanilla), a cup of any kind of berries and some flax seed! always comes out yummy (:

or if i work out in the mornings its a whole banana, 1 cup of skim milk, a tea spoon of peanut butter and one scoop of chocolate whey protein powder!
  • Hattieross
    Hattieross Posts: 17
    Options
    l love smoothies and make them all the time. You might want to try silken tofu vs. greek yogurt for your base. You will NEVER know it's tofu and it gives the smoothie a silky texture. DELISH. I also use apple juice as my sweetner.

My fav smoothies: banana & strawberries, banana & avocado, sweet potato (1/2 baked) & banana, banana & peanut butter; the list is endless.

I find the tofu provides more protein than yogurt so I feel full longer.

I also freeze my fruit so I don't have to add ice! It's also a great way to preserve too bananas.

Hope this was helpful!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am making smoothies for my breakfast i think for now on. I am not a breakfast person but I know breakfast is important. I can just blend up some fruit, veggies, greek yogurt and orange juice and there is my morning kick start. Anyone else do smoothies for breakfast?

Just as a point of clarity, if you don't have any medical needs that dictate otherwise, you don't really need to eat breakfast. If it makes you feel better to do so then of course you should listen to your body, but plenty of people do not eat breakfast and eat most of their calories at night and do just fine with fitness/weight loss.

I'm only pointing this out because there is a common myth about breakfast either jump-starting your metabolism or conversely, skipping a meal slowing your metabolism. Both of these are false and it's usually the reason people give for necessitating breakfast.

In short, if you don't feel like having breakfast, you should at least entertain the idea of not eating it and then consuming those calories when you DO feel like eating. You may find this to be much more enjoyable (more food for later in the day).
  • katieloves21
    katieloves21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast person so could you please give me your exact measure for your smoothies so I can start making them too.
    Thanks Linda
    I did 2/3 cup frozen spinach still frozen, 1 cup of ice, half a cup of orange juice 100% 1 banana 2 large strawberries half a small green apple and 2 heaping spoons of greek vanilla yogurt
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I do 1.5 cup milk, 1 tbs peanut butter, 1 whole banana, 1.5 scoop natural chocolate protein powder. What's that you're drinking, Bun? A dream.

I also do 1.5 cup milk, 1 cup mixed berries, 1.5 scoop vanilla or banana protein powder.

I also like juice and green blends, but because I am pesca (and rarely at that) I end up -needing- protein shakes, so the light leaf beverages just don't cut it. But boy, are they delicious!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I need a little bit of fat in my breakfast to keep me from getting hungry before lunch, but if you're making smoothies a bit of peanut butter would probably take care of that. One of the guys I work with has me make smoothies for him with two raw eggs in it, but I don't think I really want to try that one, lol!
  • jelicaa
    jelicaa Posts: 83 Member
    Options

This is one of my all time favorites....given by my bootcamp instructor! I have more if you're interested

Berry Blaster Protein Shake

Banana - Small (6" to 6 7/8" Long), 0.5 banana, raw
    Hytop - Chopped Spinach, 0.5 Cup
    Body Fortress - Super Advanced Whey Protein Vanilla, 1 scoop (37 gr) or any vanilla whey protein
    Florida's Natural - Orange Juice - Original - No Pulp, 4 fl. oz. or any orange juice
    strawberries - Frozen, 0.5 cup
  • VooDooChylde
    VooDooChylde Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do 1.5 cup milk, 1 tbs peanut butter, 1 whole banana, 1.5 scoop natural chocolate protein powder. What's that you're drinking, Bun? A dream.

I also do 1.5 cup milk, 1 cup mixed berries, 1.5 scoop vanilla or banana protein powder.

I also like juice and green blends, but because I am pesca (and rarely at that) I end up -needing- protein shakes, so the light leaf beverages just don't cut it. But boy, are they delicious!

that sounds good , One question where can I get the protein powders? organic stores?
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for new breakfast ideas, Thanks everyone. Looking forward to trying your suggestions.

Bump for recipes
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options

that sounds good , One question where can I get the protein powders? organic stores?

I buy my protein powder at WalMart or I use the Curves protein powder. You can get it about anywhere I think.
  • miriam315mary
    Options
    A standard mouth mason jar fits right onto a blender, it provides you with a measured serving, and you can drink right out of the jar. It's the perfect meal size for me. I haven't tried vegetables in a smoothie, yet. I'm a bit leary of protein powders. But, I do plan on trying the tofu! This is what I blend:

5 oz. Dannon Oikos Greek Vanilla or Honey yogurt
    1 whole banana
    5 frozen strawberries
    2 oz. orange juice

I may add to the above:
    handful frozen blueberries
    4 frozen mango chunks
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options

GNC has loads of them
  • mncodergal
    mncodergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My usual smoothie is 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk, 1 cup of blueberries, 1/2 banana, maybe a strawberry or two, and a big handful of spinach. Once in a while I toss in a scoop of protein powder. YUM lol

the other day I made my own version of a V-8: 1 cup organic carrot juice, 1 whole tomato, sliced, a pinch of fresh cilantro, juice from half of a Meyer lemon, and 2 small stocks of celery and a big handful of spinach. Pretty tasty if I say so myself. :)
  • Bobbydigitalx
    Options
    I drink a smoothie for breakfast everday. As iam trying to lose weight. Could t be bad to have one every single day?
  • Chocolatewoman
    Chocolatewoman Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm not a smoothie-for-breakfast kinda of girl. They are not very filling for me.

I prefer to stick to oatmeal, egg whites and Craisins or oatmeal pancakes with egg whites. This kind of stuff sticks to my ribs.
  • jodiex92
    jodiex92 Posts: 56
    Options
    A few handfuls ofSpinach
    1 scoop of Protein powder (I use strawberry)
    Seeds
    & sometimes I add berries or banana/apple for more flavour

Fills me up more than a usual breakfast! :)