Protein Powder

Options
SammyKatt
SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
I am looking for a great protein powder that I can cook with, make into ice cream and just mix with water (or milk) and drink.

I DO NOT want to mix it into smoothies or have to add a bunch of stuff to hide the taste of it. I have a blender at home but this doesn't help me at work since that's normally when I want one. And yes, my work does have a blender, no I wont use it seeing as how people don't clean the pour spout and mold is growing in it (Yeah, people use it everyday too. Makes me want to vomit)

Replies

• SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    No one?
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I like the properties of my hemp protein powder, but on it's own, it's foul. I'm pretty sure most are like that, but my coworkers say the Orange Creamsicle Costco brand is great.
  • Steph7x
    Steph7x Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yeah i use the hemp one and my god it really is foul..i am yet to find a way to hide the taste, i just have to throw it back and imagine its strawberry milkshake.

I too would be interested to know about a protein shake that you just add with water and milk like a slimfast shake..hopefully someone on here knows of one :)
  • michaelsgirl1210
    michaelsgirl1210 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I really like the flavor of the Jillian Michaels Triple Chocolate Shake powder. I mix it with a cup of almond milk, and to me it tastes like a good quality, low cal shake. And I like the fact it has less chemical junk than a lot of other powders.
  • vmamp
    vmamp Posts: 1
    Options
    Isosensation- cookies n creme. Honestly this powder is amazing. It taste great with milk, water, and ive also used it to cook with. It is really great alone which is a big deal to me because i dont want to have added calories.

its about 130 calories per scoop which isnt bad at all! Hope this helps
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I use Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey in Chocolate. I mix it with water or soymilk using a Blender Bottle. It's easy, quick, and contains no artificial sweeteners or flavors.
  • 17DayDietGal
    17DayDietGal Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Go to WalMart and look at the Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powders. Really healthy, great flavors. It comes in Vanilla, Vanilla Creme, Strawberry, Chocolate (REALLY good flavor and I'm not a chocolate person), Strawberries and Cream.

And a good price to boot -- $14.98 for 2 lbs. Not a lot of sugar (1g per scoop). You can mix with water or whatever else.

If you're looking to do baking, take a look at the unflavored protein powder by Jarrows (available on amazon.com for something comparable in price to the Body Fortress) -- a friend is using it to make gravy!
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    Juice Plus Complete dutch chocolate is a good one. I usually shake it up with almond milk, but it's okay with just water.
  • JustJessicaRabbit
    JustJessicaRabbit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like the pure protein brand, frosty chocolate or vanilla. I put it in my morning coffee after it cools a bit, makes a mocha. You have to be careful to make sure the coffee is warm and not hot otherwise you get scrambled protein. :-P
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a great protein powder that I can cook with, make into ice cream and just mix with water (or milk) and drink.

I DO NOT want to mix it into smoothies or have to add a bunch of stuff to hide the taste of it. I have a blender at home but this doesn't help me at work since that's normally when I want one. And yes, my work does have a blender, no I wont use it seeing as how people don't clean the pour spout and mold is growing in it (Yeah, people use it everyday too. Makes me want to vomit)

I make "ice cream" by blending skim milk, ice, and a casein protein powder. Then I put it into the freezer. Casein makes for really thick drinks, and I think that thickness help it to freeze "hard" like hard ice cream rather than to freeze solid like ice, as whey protein does if you try this trick with whey.
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    No brand comes in a wider variety of flavors than Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard 100% Whey. And every flavor I've tried tastes amazing. It's not my brand of choice, but it's up there and I would definitely recommend it to someone in your situation.

For stuff that you would drink straight without adding other things to, I find that nothing mixes and tastes better with plain old H2O than Myofusion Probiotic series cookies and cream flavor or cinnamon bun flavor. Syntha 6 is also up there as a very close second.

If you plan on using it as a meal replacement and not just some quick post workout supplementation then a protein blend (myofusion, syntha 6) will be a better choice than pure whey or pure soy or pure casein or pure hemp or pure anything.
  • dmlover76
    dmlover76 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels...it's great on its own, and you can add water or soy milk to it. Why don't you buy one of those shakers with the wisk inside instead of using a blender?
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    There are so many threads on this Topic.... And in every one of them Tons of people give you their opinion of which is the "best"

Fact is, Protein powder taste is all a matter of personal preference. What i may find tasty and good... The next person may not... You will have to play around with a few brands and find out which you like the best.
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We order the spirulina protein powder off of Amazon. It's made by extraction from seaweed or kelp, so it has a bit of a fishy smell to it, but it's not bad. I think its like 4g of protein per Tbsp. That's just pure protein powder though.. its not a mix or a blend to add water or milk to and go.

We've added it into sauces and juices mostly, but my wife adds it into some home made banana ice cream that she makes too.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I mix Cytosport 100% Whey Protein Vanilla with Milk or Pineapple Orange Juice in a blender bottle (Basically a water bottle with a wisk ball in it - shake to mix). With OJ it tastes like an orange julius, with milk it tastes like a shake. The blender bottle makes it light and I love the texture that way. I've never cooked with it or made Ice Cream or anything.
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    you can cook with regular whey protein powder no need for any of that hemp stuff.

check out lean body life style on youtube. so many cooking recopies.
  • reka74
    reka74 Posts: 70
    Options
    'Naturade' Vegan protein booster (blend). [24 g protein,0 sugar,1g fat,100 cal but sodium 220 mg :( ]
    or ' Life's basics' plant protein (blend of pea, hemp, rice,chia seed) [prot 22g,sugar 2.67,cal 100,sodium 43mg]
    lol
  • wallypike
    wallypike Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard 100% Whey in Vanilla Ice Cream is FANTASTIC!!!