Am I the only one?

Options
I'm having a tough tough time! I'm very hard on myself. If I go over even 1200-1300 calories, I feel like I'm messing up my diet. My calorie goal is 1700ish. I've been feeling really yucky over everything I eat. I've lost about 30 lbs and a few pant sizes since March 15th. I need to lose 100 lbs more to reach my goal weight. I've always had self esteem problems, thanks to people in HS. I just feel like it's getting worse since I'm actually doing something about it now.

Replies

• gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    1) Food is not the enemy - eating the RIGHT amount of calories will help you lose weight in a healthy and sustainable fashion
    2) Change is hard - major life-enhancing change is even harder
    3) You are beautiful, you are valuable, and you are most definitely worth it.
    4) When you start believing in yourself, no one will be able to stop you from seeing this through.
  • nekoxvampyx
    nekoxvampyx Posts: 163
    Options
    you just need to relax and stop thinking about what other people may think about you. People are stupid so why would care about what they would say? it's your life you decide how you want it to go. if you slip up, IT'S OK, just aslong as u pick up your self up again and keep working at it.
  • gcanter
    gcanter Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You have already shown yourself that you can lose weight. Set yourself some small goals and continue what you are doing. When its all done, you will feel great about it. Good Luck!
  • BGuerra1986
    BGuerra1986 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you! That made me feel great!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Whoa....since March 15th? As in March 15, 2012 you've lost 30 pounds! OMG, I'm so proud but at the same time very worried for you. Unless you had bypass/baratric surgery, you've lost way too much, way too fast! That's alot of weight to loss in less than 2 months.

And if you are only eating 1200-1300 cals, you are probably in starvation mode, which means your body is storing everything you eat thinking that it may be its late for awhile. If MFP says to eat 1700, aim for that. That keeps your body burning what you eat instead of storing it as fat. Then add some excerise or even a power walk thru a mall twice a week (leave the $$ at home - safer lol).

You've done great, but if you want to keep it off for the long haul, you need to make some life changes rather than just starving yourself. It will go away now, but if you go back to your normal eating habits, it will all come back....

Trust me, a few years ago I lost 90 pounds in 9 months, dropped my cals to 1200 or less, did 4 hours HARD exercise (to the point of doing damage to my body) and once I was so sick & in pain from my forced change.... i stopped and in less than 9 months later, gained it all back plus 30 more pounds!

You probably didn't your extra weight in 2 months, so it will take you longer to loose your extra weight.

Good luck and take care.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Micro-goals are important, I agree with gcanter completely.
  • tonyaf78
    tonyaf78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Brandi, my sweet niece, you are doing an amazing job!!! you have lost almost as much weight as I have and I have been doing this a month longer than you have!! You aren't trying to lose weight to please the people of your past. You are doing this for your husband, your 3 beautiful children, and most of all for YOU!!! What you think about you is what matters most!
    If you go over 1200 cals in a day, don't sweat it!! MFP has set your calorie goal for 1700, if you eat anywhere between 1200-1700 you will still lose weight. You said you have already gone down several sizes...Be proud of that!! You know you can lose the weight, so keep going!! Don't let minuscule set backs ( going over on calories every once in a while) get you down!! If it happens, just pick right back up and start over again...
    You can do this!! Stop being so hard on yourself!! We are all here for you!!
    Love ya
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    And if you are only eating 1200-1300 cals, you are probably in starvation mode, which means your body is storing everything you eat thinking that it may be its late for awhile. If MFP says to eat 1700, aim for that. That keeps your body burning what you eat instead of storing it as fat. Then add some excerise or even a power walk thru a mall twice a week (leave the $$ at home - safer lol).

Please don't listen to absolute junk like this. It sounds like you are doing amazing and if you can stick to a 1200-1300 calorie diet that contains a healthy balance of all the nutrients and minerals you need then keep it up.

One thing I would say is make sure you have loads of photos of your progress, I wish I did and it helps seeing the change in photos
  • jettyib1
    jettyib1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You are doing great.!!!! I am afraid also to eat full calories, however I have noticed when I do I lose weight. It's amazing what our self image can do to us. Let's try to see us as God see's us. He made us in his own image and God don't make no junk.
  • lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm having a tough tough time! I'm very hard on myself. If I go over even 1200-1300 calories, I feel like I'm messing up my diet. My calorie goal is 1700ish. I've been feeling really yucky over everything I eat. I've lost about 30 lbs and a few pant sizes since March 15th. I need to lose 100 lbs more to reach my goal weight. I've always had self esteem problems, thanks to people in HS. I just feel like it's getting worse since I'm actually doing something about it now.

Hey :)
    Good job at tackling this head on first of all. And secondly, don't beat yourself up. Its important to take time to change habits so that they stick. Everything in moderation. Don't starve yourself, that ain't gonna work in the long run, if you're hungry eat. Don't feel bad about eating, and try your best to eat healthy stuff and you should gradually see your relationship with food improve. You should check out what your current maintenance calories would be (you can do this by setting your weight loss goals to maintain weight in settings, and then changing it back obviously). So that amount would be the calories that MFP would recommend you eat to maintain your current weight. So even sometimes when you have a bad day, a lot of the time you will find you are still under maintenance calories so you're not taking a step backwards on these bad days, just not always bounding forward!

Slow and steady wins the race. It has taken me 2 and a half years to get to my goal weight, and I wouldn't change that. Good luck!
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    1) Food is not the enemy - eating the RIGHT amount of calories will help you lose weight in a healthy and sustainable fashion
    2) Change is hard - major life-enhancing change is even harder
    3) You are beautiful, you are valuable, and you are most definitely worth it.
    4) When you start believing in yourself, no one will be able to stop you from seeing this through.

This!! Well said.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Please don't listen to absolute junk like this. It sounds like you are doing amazing and if you can stick to a 1200-1300 calorie diet that contains a healthy balance of all the nutrients and minerals you need then keep it up.

One thing I would say is make sure you have loads of photos of your progress, I wish I did and it helps seeing the change in photos

I agree with this! Keep in mind that you are doing this to live a healthier life and to be there for your children. I started my journey, January 2012 for similar reasons. I want to see my son grow up, I want to see him graduate high school, hopefully go to college, I want to see him get married and one day have his own kids. I want to be there to be a part of his life and my future grandchildren.

When I feel down on myself I just think of those reasons, and think about how great I am feeling physically. Physically I am able to take the stairs at work and I never was able to before. Recently I started running, I never ran before. Don't forget your success is not just the number on the scale, but on how your clothes fit, your increase stamina/endurance.

Add me if you like!
  • BGuerra1986
    Options
    Whoa....since March 15th? As in March 15, 2012 you've lost 30 pounds! OMG, I'm so proud but at the same time very worried for you. Unless you had bypass/baratric surgery, you've lost way too much, way too fast! That's alot of weight to loss in less than 2 months.

You've done great, but if you want to keep it off for the long haul, you need to make some life changes rather than just starving yourself. It will go away now, but if you go back to your normal eating habits, it will all come back....

Trust me, a few years ago I lost 90 pounds in 9 months, dropped my cals to 1200 or less, did 4 hours HARD exercise (to the point of doing damage to my body) and once I was so sick & in pain from my forced change.... i stopped and in less than 9 months later, gained it all back plus 30 more pounds!

You probably didn't your extra weight in 2 months, so it will take you longer to loose your extra weight.

Good luck and take care.
  • BGuerra1986
    Options
    It has been since March 15, 2012. I had started doing a meal replacement plan and it wasn't working. I was always hungry and it was making me one mean chick! I wanted to EAT. LOL. I do about an hour of walking a day. I can't do too much because I have a bum knee. I went from eating about 2500 calories per day (not realizing how much I was eating) to eating about 1200-1300. I'm still losing weight but some days I feel like all I think about is meal plans. I feel overwhelmed.
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    I have to agree that the 1200-1300 calorie level is just too low. You're walking an hour a day, and you have little ones to keep up with. If you entered everything honestly and MFP suggested 1700 a day, please consider giving it a try (add a couple of hundred calories a week at a time until you reach that level). Mood is definitely one of those things that can be affected by your diet. Quite often my body doesn't feel actually 'hungry' when it is; instead, I get grumpy, or sad, or shakey. You've made a great start, but you also have a long way to go - you want to keep your metabolism up and you want this to be sustainable.