I need help

Options
It is so hard to cut back on carbs I love my bread cherrios and bananas. My doctor suggested to lower carbs because of blood work for sugar. Which I knew was I going to get it around some time or another my grand mother has lost both of her legs my father takes 2 pills a day on top of seven shots. On my moms side my grand mother lost her toes due to sugar. So it's real bad in the family. I am not a real big meat eater or tofu so it's a down fall . The doctor told me he would check again in 60 days to see if my sugar is still high then I will have to start on medication. Hopefully I can try to do it my self and not have to be put on medications. I would appreciate any advice or tips to help stay in the 50-100 carbs a day. Thanks

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Maybe you will find this useful?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah8MbmZepQxWdGo4bnB2QmxxMUlmTzZUTXYzMURRLWc#gid=0

List of low carb foods separated in groups with their carb counts per serving.
  • almostfortysix
    Options
    I feel like my entire family has diabetes. My mom had it before she died of breast cancer. My grandmothers on both of my parents sides, my grandfather on my dads side passed away due to complications from it. I have several cousins with and and many are children. I am 43 overweight and I fighting it. 100%. All of the adults that didn't get diabetes until they were adults got it because they were overweight.
    You can't look at it like you know you will get it but look at it this way. I may get it but it's not becasue I didn't take care of myself.
    I know how hard it is to cut out the breads and such but if you start with small changes you'll get to where you want to be.
    You can do it. Small steps:)
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. I love friends.
  • keepersmom8
    keepersmom8 Posts: 42
    Options
    I used to be a carb-a-holic. When I started on my current weight loss journey, I decided to cut grains almost completely. I feel so much better. I'm not as tired and lethargic, my digestion is better and cravings are almost non-existent. I've lost 7 pounds in the last month and honestly feel that this is the way I need to eat in order to feel healthier.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The bananas have to go I suspect, along with the breakfast cereal and grapes. A few low carb berries perhaps instead.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm may help, you want to minimise the glycemic load in the last column.

Carrots aren't great either, think green leafy stuff and add that to varied protein sources including oily fish, quality steak etc.
  • jennyjennbug
    jennyjennbug Posts: 105
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice it's very much appreciated