Treadmill Runner Who is Afraid to Take it Outside

Options
I have been mastering my treadmill now for the last few months. I usually run on a 1% - 2% incline. I desperately want to start running outside but am afraid that I will get down my street and be so winded that I will become unmotivated to do so. I average around 2.5miles 4 days a week on the treadmill. Yesterday I did 3.5 miles on it. I want to start training for the half marathon in October but for some reason have mega anxiety to take my running outside. Not sure how to pace myself. Any suggestions?

Replies

• flipflopgirl72
    Options
    I can relate to your fears, I started running in the gym at school when no one was around and could run a couple miles without stopping, it felt great! I decided one day to go outside to see what would happen. It was a lot different and a little more difficult at first but the scenery is so much better and I see people outside and driving by they wave, give me thumbs up and it is so encouraging to keep going. I would definitely start out slow, it is better for your lungs to run outside (or so I have been told by many trainers) so it will take several tries outside to start working through that. Pay more attention to your progress and be encouraged by that. Dont be afraid to walk/run, there is no shame in that, you are out doing more than most people so dont let couchsitters judge you. However, be prepared for the addiction you might start to feel once you start seeing all the progress you are making. If you are wanting to train for some races you need to be outside more than inside or your race day will be very difficult. Dont do too much too fast, it will be quite a bit different than the treadmill so take it slow, make some goals, see some progress and keep doing it!! GOOD LUCK, can't wait to hear how it is going!!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I totally understand as I run mainly on the treadmill. My suggestion would be to get a good GPS watch so you can easily check your pace outside. Since you won't have the treadmill to set your pace, it can be very easy to think you are not running fast enough and get worn out too fast.

I honestly feel like I'm running in cement outside - like I'm going way too slow. But having my watch to glance at lets me know how I'm doing and that I'm pretty close to my treadmill pace.

Also, I hope you have very good shoes for running as it will not be as cushioned outside and you may experience calf/shin pain the first few times.
  • christyallgood
    christyallgood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have recently started running (this week) and am surprised how well its been going. I have been walking for 1 1/2 yrs or so and wanted to start jogging. Every time i tried to go out by myself i would just about DIE after 5 mins or so. I hated it! Last fall I started walking with my friend who is more of a runner. She is the one who helped me with jogging this spring. Turns out I need her to pace me because by myself I start out too hard and can't go for long. Its also much more fun having someone with you! Today we went out and jogged 5 miles in 46 mins! And I have to push my 43 lb daughter in a stroller! First time I have ever ran that far! I suggest finding a friend to go with you! Good luck!
  • mtuomibsn
    mtuomibsn Posts: 6
    Options
    I was always an outside runner (since high school), but got a treadmill because I could never seem to get in a run during the day after college. After a while, it was really hard for me to get back outside. But, I started with my shorter, flatter, runs and with no expectations (and use a nike+ on my shoe to keep my pace) and I'm so surprised every time, but my pace is generally faster outside. Just think...you can adjust your pace a little as you need to without hitting buttons! If the hill gets rough, you can slow down a bit to get to the top running and then pick up the pace and power over it. You might actually find it easier! If it's a relatively flat route, I try to do intervals...maybe sprinting between side streets or telephone poles. But, the best part of running outside is that there is so much to look at...you'll never get bored...and, you'll see other runners that nod at you and wave and you'll feel like a part of a community. Good luck and enjoy!
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I love running outside during my lunch hour. What keeps me going and pacing myself is my interval timer. I have my timer set for a specific amount of time, right now it is at 6.5 minutes. I make myself keep going until that timer beeps at me. Then I walk until it beeps at me again.

Since you know how long you can run for on the treadmill maybe you could set a timer for that amount of time on your phone or your running device. Then just make yourself go until that timer goes off. You can always map out your distance later on the computer to see how far you actually ran. Then you could either push yourself to run for a longer period of time or a further distance in the same amount of time.

Good luck!
  • Kbritske09
    Kbritske09 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Yes I do have proper running shoes for outside. I had foot surgery back in November so I really have to make sure I have the right shoes. I'm cleared to run now though :-). I am probably going to blog my training as a way for me to keep track of how I feel on my runs and my progress. Feel free to add me if you like. I could definitely use the support and any advice!
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    bump for later
  • mightymamma
    mightymamma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    just go slower than you feel you should or can that way you won't get winded and have to stop, at least that worked for me. it felt like i was going super slow but i was actually going just as fast if not faster than on the treadmill.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have recently started running (this week) and am surprised how well its been going. I have been walking for 1 1/2 yrs or so and wanted to start jogging. Every time i tried to go out by myself i would just about DIE after 5 mins or so. I hated it! Last fall I started walking with my friend who is more of a runner. She is the one who helped me with jogging this spring. Turns out I need her to pace me because by myself I start out too hard and can't go for long. Its also much more fun having someone with you! Today we went out and jogged 5 miles in 46 mins! And I have to push my 43 lb daughter in a stroller! First time I have ever ran that far! I suggest finding a friend to go with you! Good luck!

Goodness you did well with a weight to push!! I just ran 4.5 miles today (without a stroller) and did it in 44 min. 16 sec.! I thought I did well!
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I actually find that I do better outside (calorie burn wise) than on the treadmill. Get a great playlist that you can run to in order to keep the beat going and that will help. I am also much cooler outside, as the little built in fans on the treadmills don't even come close to the fresh air.

I'm also more motivated to keep going - so much to look it, as opposed to the same old people at the gym or the back of someone! I look at it as running is running - don't stress about the pace.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I recently started running outside after working up my speed on a treadmill. It is quite different, and you do want to start soon so you're ready for a half-marathon. I found that I pace myself pretty well but I do have to walk sooner and more frequently than on a treadmill. That's just part of the training. (Hills, wind, and all sorts of other things play into it).

I find that if I set a route and stick to it, I don't lose motivation to finish. In fact, I'll get to my turn around point and think "I can go just a bit farther." Plan it out in advance, commit to finishing it even if you walk have the time (walk fast though!) and then just give it a try. You can do it. :happy:
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone (droid, iPhone) get the C25k app. It will alternate walking and running. Once you realize your pace, you can ditch the app. I run outside and love it. I am going to sell the treadmill soon because it's so boring now,

Good luck. You can do it!
  • whiterice83
    whiterice83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Totally was there! Then my friend wanted to jog outside and the weather was stormy so I couldn't take my scooter, we jogged 2.1 miles straight and the path wasn't flat. I thought I wouldn't keep up, that I would stop- oh man! I am so totally doing that again. And I normally run just shy of 2 miles maybe 1-2 times a week. You will be golden for sure! :)
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    A year ago, I started running on a treadmill, too - I SoOoOOOooo didn't want anyone looking at me as a struggled to run when I first started... Then a friend of mine convinced me to try going outside (remembering that it was FEBruary in CANada!!). The first time I tried it, I have to say, I didn't love it... but kept trying, and now ALL I DO is run outside. I love it! Seriously LOVE it! There is so much more to look at, and the time goes by much faster. The other day, it was raining, and I wanted to go for a run... so I thought "Hey, I'll just avoid getting wet and jump on the treadmill" Honestly, I think I would have rather gotten soaked outside... I HATED it - I cannot stress enough - HATED it! This little treadmill addict has turned into a full fledged outside running girl - it is SO freeing! GET out there... you may surprise yourself!
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    this used to be me!

I now LOVE running outside - it's actually so much more motivating and I find I can go further and for longer than I ever could on the treadmill. make sure you bring some good tunes, sunglasses, lace up and get out there.

plan out a couple routes on google maps first before you go out so that you know how far you're going, and if you need to cut it short, you can. I can't run indoors anymore now that it's so gorgeous outside.
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I started running last month and now run usually 5 days a week (between 2 and 6 miles on those days depending on the time I have.) I was scared to go from treadmill to outdoors too. What helped me was my first time out to map an out and back 1 mile run. I knew I wanted to run a 12 minute mile so when I got to the halfway point I knew I needed to be at 6 minutes. It felt so awesome the first time I ran outside. Next time I went running on a high school track. I was outside, but I could easily tell what my pace was by doing the laps. The longest I had run on the treadmill at that point was 2.5 miles, but running at the track I easily ran 4 miles. Now I run through my neighborhood and then figure out how far I've run. (i use mapmyrun). On the treadmill I was running 12 minute miles, but I've found outside I usually run 10-11 minute miles. I LOVE running outside now.

You can do it!!!