Is Going To Run!

Options
Any of you experienced runners........what do you do when you have to (sorry) pee?
And how about water? Do you carry a bottle, wear a backpack? I never see any of the runners carrying water. How do you stay hydrated?
When I rode my bike, I had a water bottle carriage on it...so it was a no-brainer. What do I do when I run?

Also..if any of you amazing people want to add me as a friend..I'd love that!

Replies

• tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have a fuel belt. It was 2 water bottles and a pouch for my iphone. I love it, sits nice while you run. You can carry keys and id etc.. As far as peeing, i always have to go when I run. Since having kids i just cant hold it. Since I run on a long nature trail i wait till i'm in a straight area where i dont see anyone and go behind a tree lol. Reminds me of my drinking days ;)

Edit: I do run 10+ miles so around that mark i really need to go.
  • viser_haut
    viser_haut Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I find that if I take water with me, I'm more likely to need the toilet :blushing: so I don't drink whilst I'm out, or even 2-3 hours before I go for a run. Alternatively you could always get something like this for running with:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rucanor-Fist-Runners-Bottle-Transparent/dp/B001UABXZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336246667&sr=8-1
    - and just make sure your route takes you past some park toilets or the like! Good luck :):flowerforyou:
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I pee before and usually I don't need to go during. I've run for six miles and it hasn't been an issue. I also don't carry a water bottle, although I'm looking into getting a camelbak for my longer runs now. I just hydrate really well before and after.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I usually drink water a half hour before and pee before leaving the house. There have been times I've had to pee during a run but I find that the sensation goes away after a short time. I'm sure that is not the case for every one. I've never had to go really badly during a run, just a little.
  • foxfireash
    foxfireash Posts: 24
    Options
    I read this post, and the one you wrote about being "scared to run." Let me tell you, I had the same concerns. I started at 214, now down to 206 in one month! (I am 5'2, so NOT tiny for the # on the scale.) I started running last week.

1. That is really sad about being scared of animals. I'm not sure where you live, but here in L.A. people restrain their dogs (leashes, fences, etc.) If you have this pressing concern, map out your route! Do a walking tour of where you want to run, and scope it out! For the beginning of C25K, you will be walking most of the time, so

2. Again, C25k is walking most of the time at first. You have short bursts of jogging. Yes, you will jiggle. Maybe people will stare at you-- they do at me, because I have huge boobs that bounce when I run. But I stopped caring a long time ago what people think. I am also jogging with a partner, so it's not as "odd" to see me running. Maybe your S.O. or a friend can do the program with you? It will also help keep you motivated, trust me!

3. Hydration: You aren't supposed to drink when running. I carry a water bottle, half full, with me. I only take small sips when doing the walking intervals. And, honestly, I pee constantly when I'm at home. But while jogging, I'm so focused on pushing myself that I don't even think about peeing. Pee before you start out: it's only half an hour. Maybe if you have to pee so bad by the end that it will give you an extra push to get home, haha!

Good luck with your running. Buy good shoes. Don't get discouraged, if someone as lazy as me can do it then so can you!
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have a fuel belt. It was 2 water bottles and a pouch for my iphone. I love it, sits nice while you run. You can carry keys and id etc.. As far as peeing, i always have to go when I run. Since having kids i just cant hold it. Since I run on a long nature trail i wait till i'm in a straight area where i dont see anyone and go behind a tree lol. Reminds me of my drinking days ;)

Where do I find that belt?

As for the kids/bladder issues........I hear ya!
    Hmmm..peeing behind a tree...reminds me of 4-wheeling or camping, lol
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I only carry water when the temp is high and I am running long. And if I have to go in the middle of the run, that just provides some extra motivation to finish it fast. :-)
  • prsusa38
    prsusa38 Posts: 29
    Options
    If you are going on very long runs, 6 or more miles, stage a water bottle somewhere along the way if you don't want to carry it. As far as going to the bathroom, I usually go before I ran, then most of the time will be ok during the run. If not, a wooded area is always nice.....good luck
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Only up to 5k myself, so far, but I've never found myself needing water or the toilet on a run. When I start doing longer distances, I'll buy a running belt.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to the ifitness belt for hydration bottles and a little pouch. i also have a camelbak but it don't like it as much (though it does hold more water).

like prsusa38 said, if you're getting to bigger distances, stage a bottle somewhere or have someone meet you :)

best of luck!
  • Linda1053
    Linda1053 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I find I there is no where for me when I need a wee. THEN I am all the more likely to want to go. Typical i guess. So I purchased a Shewee and it works well . Takes a little practice which I did for a couple of weeks before relying on it. I have included an Amazon link so you know what Im talking about. It is also handy for keeping in the car for those Motorway accident times.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHEWEE-Standard/dp/B002XL1UWG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336246947&sr=8-2
  • spinqueen72
    Options
    So many great responses!! Thanks to all of you!
  • tuneses
    Options

This is the one i have. It's a bit pricey but it was my xmas gift from my mommy lol You can find good quality ones a bit cheaper i'm sure.

http://www.zappos.com/product/7800354/color/294173
  • spinqueen72
    Options

This is the one i have. It's a bit pricey but it was my xmas gift from my mommy lol You can find good quality ones a bit cheaper i'm sure.

http://www.zappos.com/product/7800354/color/294173

Thank you!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I just run. I drink and pee when I'm done. Actually, on my long runs, I have to do a #2, the second I get home. Lol.

I see people with water belts and gels and stuff. I don't know, I don't see the point. It seems like more of a distraction. If you are properly hydrated, you should be ok.
  • tuneses
    Options
    Well when I run 13 or more miles I tend to get a bit parch myself. Everything i've read about distance running suggests something to fuel for longer runs as well as a little water. I also use my belt for my iphone cause i dont care for the arm band.