antidepressants

Options
I've just been prescribed antidepressants and they have completely taken away my appetite. I've been forcing myself to nibble at a few things throughout the day because I get really low blood sugar, but has anybody else found a loss of appetite? The thought of eating a meal makes me feel physically sick.

Replies

• beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Im on them aswell, at first that happened to me, then you adjust, to be honest depression is the worst for losing the will to eat, which one's you on?
  • smith176
    smith176 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to get your appetite back? I'm taking fluoxetine.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It depends on which ones you are taking....some are notorious for increased or decreased appetite....and some people have different reactions to the same drugs. Personally for me I gained a ton of weight while on cipralex (but it worked really well to alleviate most of my symptoms)...but have been able to lose again since being switched to prozac (I'm a lot less obsessive about food). I also take wellbutrin but I am on the fence about that one so far because I was doind better with my eating without it but my depression was worse. Its hard to find the right balance and sometimes you and your doc will have to try some different options over time to find the right thing for you. Good luck :)
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot when I was on Lexapro. It really helped with the panic attacks but my self esteem took a dive bc of the fast weight gain. Im currently on Celexa and that has really helped with the weight loss. When I first started it I had no appetite. I was actually naseaus for 2 weeks or so. Now its all good (:
  • ranrobinrn
    ranrobinrn Posts: 4
    Options
    I have never taken antidepressants however I have heard many a story both good and bad. Loss of apetite is a sde effect. Def talk with your MD and he may want to change or se how long the symptom lasts. I think the question is how much is it allowing you to eat. It not safe to NEVER eat. Too hard on your body. Even if you do lose a ton of weight when you get your appetite back your metabolism with be in snail mode and you'll likely gain it back.
    I have seen a naturopath and tried the natural approach which is good for me because I feel like it is of a riskless risk....no side effects and you dont have to taper of them when you are ready to stop. Just a thought:)
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

that stuff worked for awhile and then it flucked me up.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    The side effects will dissipate after a few weeks. In the meantime, you might want to get some Boost or Ensure or something, just to keep your calories and nutrients up.

Be patient.
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I'm on fluoxetine too, it lowered my appetite for about 1 1/2 months then it came back with a vengance and i gained 14lbs
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options

2 weeks, some have horrible side effects, my first week was the worst, I will never forget that week.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm on fluoxetine as well. When I first started it I also noticed a decreased appetite. My appetite did come back, but I can't remember how long it took.

In the meantime, try to eat some calorie dense foods when you can eat - peanut butter, avocado, full fat cheese. That should help some.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    That sucks... I've taken several different antidepressants for over 10 years and not ONE of them curbed my appetite. I wish they had! Maybe I'd still be taking them LOL (jk, for you humorless folks).
  • lauramonster
    Options
    I didn't lose my appetite on fluoxetine or any other antidepressants, so I dunno.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I took zoloft years ago after my life completely imploded.
    It took about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks for my appetite to come back. I was in college so I couldn't afford anything like Ensure but I think that is a great idea. I had to settle to fat free chocolate ice cream instead :)
  • LesIsMoreXX
    LesIsMoreXX Posts: 169
    Options
    I'm on Cipralex which I think is the Canadian equivalent to Lexapro.
    I found for the first month or so I could barely eat anything but now I eat normally. Usually anti depressants take 1-3 months to get adjusted to.
    I have gained a bit of weight but I think that's due mainly to the fact that I was eating only every two or three days when I was depressed and then when I got used to the Cipralex I started eating properly eventually.
  • xhereinmyheadx
    xhereinmyheadx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I was on Zoloft it made me really jittery and have no appetite whatsoever. Weight came off easily without me even trying.

When I went on Remeron, however, it made me gain 20 pounds in 3 months. Supposedly Remeron is what they give to anorexics to eat more. I just went on it because its anti-anxiety effects are AMAZING, and I actually slept through the night for once. Once I went off it, though, my weight came off quickly. I went from 160 to 138 in a few months. My anxiety got worse though. I don't know...I guess there's a trade off.

I've considered going back on some form of medication again, but I'm kinda too scared to mess with my brain. I like feeling normal and not "numbed" to the world like I was. Not to mention the sexual side effects were just awful.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm on Cipralex which I think is the Canadian equivalent to Lexapro.

Correct...same drug just marketed with different names
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I started taking Celexa in mid-March. It took me a couple of weeks to really get my appetite back. Be patient, your appetite will come back as well. In the meantime, make sure you choose your food wisely to get the most nutrition you can get out of whatever you do eat. Hang in there.
  • jmlynch502
    jmlynch502 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fluoxetine has been associated with weight loss in studies, as opposed to other SSRIs. It also has a longer half life, as well, so it kind of sticks around longer.
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It happened to me and have been on them for years. It passes a.d you will be fine once you adjust.
  • darla100
    darla100 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have been on Citalapram for about 2 years..and it doesn't mess with your head, you don't feel like your in a fog, you still have your own feelings..just not the depression type feelings..it has been amazing for me..gave me the energy to get off my *kitten* and start getting my life back..