What to eat?

Options
I don't know what to eat and I only have 200$ a month for me and my boyfriend for food. Any help on cheap healthy food?

Any cheap healthy meals, snacks, etc?

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    There have been a couple of threads recently about eating on a budget. It's hard and takes time, but making your own food can be both healthier and cheaper.
    Good luck!
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Eggs are an inexpensive source of protein. You need to stay away from processed foods. Vegetables like cabbage are filling but low calorie. Also, dried beans are a good source of protein.
  • wackedoutpet13
    wackedoutpet13 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If there's a Grocery Outlet near you, you should definitely check it out. I love that place.

I'm definitely a fan of eggs, mushrooms, and frozen fish fillets.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Nuts....They are filling & it only takes a few tablespoons to fill you up plus good fats in there...Also, Peanut butter is always a healthy & tasty meal/snack....I understand completely b/c healthy foods seem so much more expensive - If they would make the fattening foods more expensive & make the healthy ones cheaper we wouldn't have so many overweight people in the US at least....I would def be able to eat healthier if I could afford it...UGH!!

Do a search on here & put in budget or eating on a budget..& I bet you will find some other topics on this as well....I always do searches & that way you get plenty of info without having to wait for someone to answer your post....I am impatient that way... lol

HTH!! :)
  • BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, peanutbutter, vegetables, whole grains, and many other things are all cheaper then most processed foods.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Eggs, black beans, brown rice, strawberries (in season now), yogurt, salads, tuna. Baked potatoes are good for you, if they are not slathered in butter - good with veggies or the black beans and salsa on them. Also, soups can be made pretty cheaply and be frozen in batches to last a long time. See if there are any farmers markets nearby where you can get fresh in season veggies cheaply.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Brown rice (in bag, not instant = cheaper)
    Black beans, pinto beans (in bag = cheaper and less sodium than cans)
    Bags of frozen chicken breast
    Eggs
    Frozen veggies last longer and are inexpensive
    Natural peanut butter
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    that's a great question-- I've noticed since I've started eating healthier I spend about $400 on food per month-- just for me!
    For some reason BAD food is REALLY cheap, but good (organic) food is expensive. I have had to cut back my spending in other areas to be able to "feed" my body what it needs.
    please see this post from an old blog of mine. This is when it clicked for me and from that day I stopped trying to "save" money on food...

http://me-on-dukan.blogspot.com/2012/01/happy-hour-at-cheesecake-factory.html
  • KaidyB
    KaidyB Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks to all of you. I am only 19 and living basically on my own and going to beauty school. So its hard trying to eat healthy. If i just had someone say hey if you wanna lose this much weight eat this this and this. and do this. It would make it so much easier
  • khatib123
    khatib123 Posts: 6
    Options
    hi all im 24 and new here too just joined today so please all add me
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you. I am only 19 and living basically on my own and going to beauty school. So its hard trying to eat healthy. If i just had someone say hey if you wanna lose this much weight eat this this and this. and do this. It would make it so much easier

I know exactly what you mean-- unfortunately the system is built to make us obese (in the US). Everything is about a profit margin and what's loaded with toxic substances and sits on a shelf for cheap is always going to make a company money at the cost of your health. Fresh fruits and vegetables perish too easily for corporations to make profits on this, so they spray with tons of chemicals to make last longer, but still isn't the priority. They want stuff that's cheap to make, and can stay on a shelf indefinitely - put a label on it that says "low-fat" and people will think they're eating healthy all the while-- the chemicals are working against their own body and the diet never works and people end up blaming themselves.

Check out different stores- see which have the cheapest produce. Otherwise buy frozen veggies and always in bulk to save $.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hey there. :)
    My husband and I have been working on cutting expenses and trying to get out of debt, so I'm right there with you.

Some cheap/healthy foods I buy a lot:
    Greek yogurt (it can be expensive, but I buy a "bulk size with 4 cups of it for $3 at Winco)
    Bananas (eat with peanut butter for protein)
    Peanut butter/ almond butter
    *Seasonal* veggies (I usually just buy whichever fruits/veggies are on sale that week, strawberries were only $1/lb here this week)
    Milk- nonfat or 1%
    Soymilk
    Frozen fruits for smoothies
    Wheat bread (I like ezekiel bread, it is a little more expensive, but you keep in the freezer so it's lasts forever)
    Eggs
    Beans/Lentils
    Chicken drumsticks (they have more calories than breasts, but are usually much cheaper here)
  • wanaraz
    wanaraz Posts: 4
    Options
    Ground( I like Jennie O brand) turkey and rice is inexpensive and good for two people for two days for dinner Oatmeal or eggs is another inexpensive breakfast. Look for local eggs they are healthier and cheaper. Lot's of water. Free.