how do you deal with high anxiety minus meds?

Options
BandForAlyAnne
BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
pretty much the title.

Replies

• Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    Do a lot of exercise - get too knackered to care about anything else. Helps with sleep also.

That and breathe deeply a lot.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Do a lot of exercise - get too knackered to care about anything else. Helps with sleep also.

^^^this. It makes a HUGE difference for me. Med free for a year now!!
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you don't want to use meds? I've found that, once I found the right doseage/timing/balance, they did exactly what they were supposed to with no side effects!

I do still use exercise and other relaxation techniques to help!
  • GraceK2012
    GraceK2012 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Exercise and meditation.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    There is a homeopathic product called Rescue Remedy that helps when you tip over. I don't have anxiety myself, but am close to someone who recently came off of anti-anxiety drugs after about 15 years of use.

Other than that I don't know what to tell you. If you go off of them and you are having constant problems, get back on them. Being on drugs sucks, but being ****ed in the head all the time is even worse. It's a sickness like any other, not a weakness.
  • listlife
    listlife Posts: 30
    Options
    For everyday stress, exercise has greatly helped with my anxiety. For very stressful times, I take a little bit of Valerian root to calm me down. I just try to keep myself occupied when I'm in a stressful situation by chewing gum, knitting, reading, etc.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    tension tamer tea or Valerian root tea (with honey)

meditation

exercise

dark chocolate
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Running has become my saving grace! It has positively affected everything especially my anxiety levels. I know it sounds corny, but it is completely true!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you don't want to use meds? I've found that, once I found the right doseage/timing/balance, they did exactly what they were supposed to with no side effects!

This. Why are you opposed to taking medication? There are things that will help, but medication is probably the best thing for it.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Anxiety and the decision to come off my medication for it is why I started running.. and it works wonders for me... it gets easier with time since it's not always feasible to go for a run/walk when the anxiety hits but if you can deal with majority of your anxiety this way, you can also learn to take the rest of it in stride... no pun intended :)
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Rescue Remedy, Swimming, Rescue Remedy, Chamomile tea, Rescue Remedy :wink:
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I exercise and also busy myself in the kitchen. I've always loved baking, but now I have been tinkering with HEALTHY stuff, everything from granola and raw bars to vegan muffins :) - it helps to have a sort of tasking for my nights when my anxiety strikes.
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Antioxidants has made a huge difference.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    Options

This. Why are you opposed to taking medication? There are things that will help, but medication is probably the best thing for it.

because its a pain in the *kitten*. and its only sometimes. like i can manage 75% of the time and then out of nowhere i will get sick with it. for no reason. i just want something to get me through thouse times. and thx everyone for the ideas. i will try anything.
  • shannoninBC
    shannoninBC Posts: 371 Member
    Options

ITA
  • BandForAlyAnne
    Options
    uiim curious about the rescue remedy. where can i buy it? and how is it to be taken? everyday, or only when needed?
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Exercise; my therapist literally said that since I'm choosing not to medicate, I need to spend more time exercising because it releases the 'feel good' chemicals. Also...take a hot shower and just focus on the feel of the water, or go do something to distract yourself. I'm dealing with BPD (Borderline personality disorder), anxiety & depression...and when I have 'good' days, it's because I've spent an hour or more on 'me', wither it be at the gym, or just pampering myself. =) Good luck! I stand very firm on the no-medication front!! It's hard, but you can do it!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

because its a pain in the *kitten*. and its only sometimes. like i can manage 75% of the time and then out of nowhere i will get sick with it. for no reason. i just want something to get me through thouse times. and thx everyone for the ideas. i will try anything.

If you take your medication, you never have to feel that way. Even if you don't feel anxious all the time, if when you DO feel that way, it is "high anxiety", not having to experience it at all would be preferable to me to coping with it.

It's your decision, obviously, but if it were me, I would just take the tablets. There are some good suggestions that have been posted. Good luck!
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    uiim curious about the rescue remedy. where can i buy it? and how is it to be taken? everyday, or only when needed?

Rescue Remedy is usually available at a natural grocer/health food store type of place. It comes in a small dropper bottle. As far as I know it's a take only when needed type of product. They have a few different versions of it, one for sleep and another for pets. At any rate, by all reports I have heard from people the stuff is amazing. It doesn't leave you doped up, just more easy going.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Have you talked to a doctor about spot anxiety medication? I used to only take a Xanax at a very lose does for when I needed. Not everyday, not often either. For other reasons I had to go on other meds and it quashed the anxiety...

ETA- I'm not for or against meds, but a doctor will be your best source of information.