5 kinds of Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Options
Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
Step 1 - Clean the seeds
When you are carving your pumpkin, separate the seeds from the pumpkin flesh and strings. Wash them well (usually putting then in a big bowl of water and rubbing them between your hands is a fast way to clean them) and spread them on paper towels to dry.

It is also time to start preheating the oven. Turn it on and set it to 325 F (190 C, for those in Europe)

Step 2 - Spread the seeds on a cookie sheet and season them
Spread the seeds evenly over a cookie sheet and lightly baste the seeds with melted butter, margarine, or vegetable oil. There are many variations. Here are the most popular, in order or popularity:

Savory: 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and 2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
Lemony: 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1 teaspoon 'Mrs. Dash" or lemon pepper
Halloweeny: 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice.
Spicy: 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Natural: 1 teaspoon sea salt or other salt, 4 tablespoons melted butter,
Step 3 - Roast the seeds
Heat them in a 325-degree oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot or cold.

For milder flavor, simmer the cleaned seeds for about an hour in salted water and fry in deep oil. Or mix a tablespoon of oil or margarine to each cup of nuts and roast them at 250 degrees for 30-40 minutes until they're golden. Sprinkle them with salt.

Ofcourse, change ingredients to healthier ones if you want =)

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Options
    Step 1 - Clean the seeds
    When you are carving your pumpkin, separate the seeds from the pumpkin flesh and strings. Wash them well (usually putting then in a big bowl of water and rubbing them between your hands is a fast way to clean them) and spread them on paper towels to dry.

It is also time to start preheating the oven. Turn it on and set it to 325 F (190 C, for those in Europe)

Step 2 - Spread the seeds on a cookie sheet and season them
    Spread the seeds evenly over a cookie sheet and lightly baste the seeds with melted butter, margarine, or vegetable oil. There are many variations. Here are the most popular, in order or popularity:

Savory: 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and 2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
    Lemony: 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1 teaspoon 'Mrs. Dash" or lemon pepper
    Halloweeny: 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice.
    Spicy: 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Natural: 1 teaspoon sea salt or other salt, 4 tablespoons melted butter,
    Step 3 - Roast the seeds
    Heat them in a 325-degree oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot or cold.

For milder flavor, simmer the cleaned seeds for about an hour in salted water and fry in deep oil. Or mix a tablespoon of oil or margarine to each cup of nuts and roast them at 250 degrees for 30-40 minutes until they're golden. Sprinkle them with salt.

Ofcourse, change ingredients to healthier ones if you want =)
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    This is too funny, I replied to your other one about your jack-o-lantern before I saw this. I LOVE the seeds! I just cook them with kosher salt in the oven, though, your sound better.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I'm going to try the savory way tomorrow but I have to make some the regular way for hubby.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Halloweeny sounds good too! Thx for the recipes!
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    YUMMMM! The savory sounds great, I'm going to try it. Thanks for the recipe.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Very welcome ladies! =)
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I had a Halloween Party tonight where we carved pumpkins and I made the garlic ones (with real garlic though as I didn't have salt!) and the Halloween-y ones but without the ginger as I didn't have that either. bother were a hit, and I made with margarine which helps the calories stay a bit lower. Yum! What a hit, everyone loved them, and most of my guests (the aussies) had never heard of toasting the seeds before- now they're all addicted.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I had a Halloween Party tonight where we carved pumpkins and I made the garlic ones (with real garlic though as I didn't have salt!) and the Halloween-y ones but without the ginger as I didn't have that either. bother were a hit, and I made with margarine which helps the calories stay a bit lower. Yum! What a hit, everyone loved them, and most of my guests (the aussies) had never heard of toasting the seeds before- now they're all addicted.

I am so glad you and your friends enjoyed them.
    I want to try the Halloweeny recipe now :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.